Gauge Cluster Refinishing Help

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out here knows how I can safely strip down the plastic fake woodgrain on a dash cluster. I want to paint and refurbish the one I have ordered used and do not know how to go about doing this. Any help is greatly appreaciated. Thanks!!

Brushed on brake fluid. Brush on a light coat and let it sit for a few hours. Wipe dry and repeat until the paint has come off.

Brake fluid is the only thing I have had success with cleaning paint off palstic parts without melting the plastic.

When I rebuild car models I use Castrol Super Clean. It removes paint and chrome. Try it on a test piece first, but it should do the job. Cleans off with water. I would worry about getting the brake fluid cleaned off.

Oven cleaner should work without harming the plastic. I strip many more than the one part so I have a soak tank filled with Wesleys Bleah-White ( over 50 dollars worth of the stuff ). Purple Power will work too.
Every lens should be removed. Chemicals may cloud the clear lenses and remove the text from colored lenses like Hibeam. Then rinse and rinse and rinse. Chemical residue will cause the paint to lift imediately or days after applied.
Hope this helps.

About two thirds of a can of Drano crystals in about two gallons of COLD water will remove it and not attack the plastic. Even if you leave it in there for several days.

-
Back