Votes: 49 68.1%
  • Somewhere else

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
Im not 100% on were to place my gauges and id like your feed back. I have a few pics of gauges on top of dash and under dash. Sorry the ones under dash are being held buy me. Deleating ashtray and incorp. the piece in dash for a smooth finish. Man my cars dirty.Thanks everyone and putting one for other in case someone comes up with a good idea.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 650
  • 002.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 625
  • 003.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 622
  • 004.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 592
Why limit yourself to only two options? Think outside the box. Personally, I put my full sweep mechanical oil pressure gauge right in front of my face, outside on the cowl near the windshield where I can always keep an eye on it. This makes my huge investment in time and money safer and helps me to relax and enjoy the ride, knowing my oil pressure is pushing 60 - 80 PSI cruising down the road or while power shifting. Of course, I don't expect you to follow my particular example, but at least place the gauges where they will do the most good. I also like the idea of a hood mounted tachometer, which could be adapted to any gauge(s).

Why limit yourself to only two options? Think outside the box. Personally, I put my full sweep mechanical oil pressure gauge right in front of my face, outside on the cowl near the windshield where I can always keep an eye on it. This makes my huge investment in time and money safer and helps me to relax and enjoy the ride, knowing my oil pressure is pushing 60 - 80 PSI cruising down the road or while power shifting. Of course, I don't expect you to follow my particular example, but at least place the gauges where they will do the most good. I also like the idea of a hood mounted tachometer, which could be adapted to any gauge(s).

Interesting idea

Personally, put them where it will be easiest to see them when you need to.

I had some mounted under the dash below the ash tray and I found it a bit difficult to keep a eye on the gauge while watching the road. Found myself looking down a lot more than I probably should have been. I agree with Steve, that its easier to hide the wiring, and mount them.

I eventually got rid of them and installed all new gauges in the dash to replace the old cluster.

They were on the cowl of my Belvedere. I ground down some carriage bolt heads so they could be removed without damage to the cowl.

vbpgimage.php

Under the dash in my Duster.

vbpgimage.php

Paul

I agree with straightlinespeed. Any of the gauge sets I've had mounted below the dash tended to go ignored until we had problems. I suppose it would work better if combined with warning lights in your view that were set to illuminate before it's too late to matter.

On top of the dash can get into your line of sight if they're large or if you sit low in the seat. I never cared for the big 5" tachs on top of the dash in anything but a race car.

The original cluster area is the ideal if you can pull it off.

Have you thought about mounting them in the dash? I thought about where to put mine and finally decided to rework my dash and mount them where I can see them and also it should be an eye catcher when someone checks out your car. I plan on putting the radio in the glove box.

View attachment DSCN2285.jpg

View attachment DSCN2292.jpg

View attachment DSCN2348.jpg

I agree with others about not putting them down below for the same reason stated but it does make it easier to hide wiring compared to if they are mounted up top. Ive had gauges mounted on the cowl when I was younger and I like that as well but then if you drive the car a lot they are in the weather. I plan on my tach and shift light to get mounted at dash pad but I'll have to make a special bracket.
Best of luck,
Rod

I have all the gauges for turbo monitoring on the A Pillar. It works well for now, and they're out of the way enough. It's a great spot to spaz out about your AFR's being perfect or not.

I have my temp gauge under the dash and it's really hard to switch your eyesight to that and still maintain eye contact with the road. You get a quick glance and sometimes your not sure if you read it correctly or even saw the needle. Eventually I'm mounting mine in the dash where they are less obtrusive.

I tried it on top of the dash and found no matter where I placed them they took up too much of my focus but that's me.

IMG_20141005_170752_zpsc04e2612.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The problem with the A pillar is it blocks out your view if you make a wide left chicane of anything in the turn. Everything else, is just fine. Moving the gauges is far off, as my dash is still ugly, and it will be a while till I get around to doing it.

I've got a set of cheap Sunpro gauges and, since I don't have a radio, just set them inside the radio hole. Like it so much I'm making a bezel to fit the hole and just leave them there.

I think I am mounting mine where the drivers visor is. On the dash it restricts my view, under the dash I ignore them and they really don't look right on the pillar. I will post pics after they are in.

Here's my "out of the box" solution.
I have fun doing things way different than most, so I made my own guage pod and dashpad replacement covers with carbon fiber and motorhome trim moulding split lengthwise.
If you notice the small white guage at the far left of the guage cluster that is 3 white faced guages in the factory inserts. (volts, temp, and oil pressure) and the ones on the dash are tach, A/F ratio, and fuel. (little red LED is for the line lock)
One day I will get a nice condition guage cluster face and redo it cleaner.
The rest of the dash top is hand made 2 peice carbon fiber covers, and I am doing the guage pod on the dash with carbon fiber on the face as soon as I can spend some time on it again.

Damn I need a new steering wheel. :)

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 458
My personal preference would be on top of the dash. The po. of my Duster mounted gauges under the dash and I do find myself taking my eyes off of the road more then I should.

I vote in the dash, what diameter are the gauges, if they are 2 1/6" they will fit in the dash if you dont mind drilling holes for them.

That's bad ***! What do they cost? Could not find prices.

Don't remember the exact price but if you are one of those folks that things $800 on a set of headers is way out of line you might want to forget ever seeing that. I think to just redo a dash pad is int he $400 range...without the gauge pod....

-
Back