Gauging interests - plug and play Headlight relay kits

-

crackedback

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've built a couple of these already and was curious as to interest in a kit that would be essentially a plug and play deal for single headlight per side mopars. The kit would include good Bosch/Tyco relays (no junk), high temp ceramic headlamp sockets, fuses/fuse holders and 12 or 14 gauge power circuit wiring (no 18 gauge wire like factory, except to trigger relays). Wiring would follow normal wiring harness paths and be shrink tubed for most of the run lengths.

THERE WOULD BE NO CUTTING OF YOUR CURRENT WIRING HARNESS!

The kits I've built have relays mounted on the yoke as pictured and under the battery tray. Another location that appears popular is on the drivers side inner fender upright.

Some pics of the kits I put together.

Relay holders mounted on the front of radiator yoke.
Headlightrelaykit001.jpg

Headlight and Main Power feed lines from alternator. This one is all 12 Gauge wire.
Headlightrelaykit003.jpg

Some other things to consider.
Unless you buy wire in bulk, you'll have about $30-40 in wire from the local auto store or if you have a electrical supply house that will sell it by the foot in under 100' lengths. A low level crimper is $20 and nicer one is $40-80.

If you got a kit and did it yourself, it would be roughly $100 out of pocket before any tools purchased.

Everything would be tested before sending it out.

I was thinking of pricing a custom kit that mounts the relays where you want them in the $140 area.

You know that slantsixdan already sells something very similar, right? I do not believe his has terminals that allow you to retain your existing headlamp socket so that is a little different. I am adding a complete power distribution block with relays and fuses so I am not interested personally, but I could see people wanting a simple to install kit.

Actually I think dan leaves out the wire.

What would one cost in all 12 ga wire with relays mounted under the battery tray?
Does it come with the ends for the lights or would I have to add on my old ones?

Dan sells nothing but the raw parts, no wiring or kits to plug and play.

How much would it cost for a 4 headlight system for say a 1968 Charger R/T in all 12 Ga wire and hidden under the battery tray?
Sorry for all the questions

What would one cost in all 12 ga wire with relays mounted under the battery tray?
Does it come with the ends for the lights or would I have to add on my old ones?

Around $140 + shipping is what I'm thinking. I know how long it took for me to make the first one and do it cleanly.

It's a complete kit and you use none of your old headlight sockets for powering the headlights.

The bottom pic in my first post are the runs from relays to headlights with the ceramic sockets attached. The other wire pair is from alternator to relays before fuse holders are added.

Maybe $10-12 USPS flat rate box insured anywhere in the US.

I'm not saying you're gonna be able to retire and move to the Bahamas, but you do good work there and this a quality little deal. What do you do with the old section of forward light harness?

The forward light harness stays as the signal light wires are loomed together. You use one of the existing headlight sockets to trigger the relays.

Bahamas... ha... I probably couldn't vacation in Compton! LOL

Thanks for the compliment Kevin, I appreciate it.

this is a great idea... good price for the quality of parts going into it.

PM sent to everyone that has expressed interest.

Thanks guys.

Would this set up work on a 4 headlight system....like on a Charger? or would I need two kits?

I can put a kit together that would work on a 4 headlight car.

Hey, cracked, that looks like a good deal. I'll be contacting you about this when I get a little further along with my project.

-
Back