gear ratio/converter advice

-

mi72duster

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just put my 72 Duster on the road after a /6 to 318 swap. Running mild cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holly 650 cfm double pumper. Behind the engine sits a stock 904 from a '76 Cordoba. My guess it has an 1800 stall converter.
I have an 8 1/4" sure grip with 2.23 gears I would like to put in. My question is what stall converter should I use and should I be looking at a different gear ratio? Car will be a driver and not a racer, but I would like the option to look at some kid at a stop light who's driving his dad's Mustang GT and then seeing him in my mirror. Any input? Thanks

I suggest getting a 8.75 sure grip with a 3.91, stall needs to be a 3000. this will let the engine get to the horsepower and torque curve faster. :snakeman::snakeman:

Hi all,
Just put my 72 Duster on the road after a /6 to 318 swap. Running mild cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holly 650 cfm double pumper. Behind the engine sits a stock 904 from a '76 Cordoba. My guess it has an 1800 stall converter.
I have an 8 1/4" sure grip with 2.23 gears I would like to put in. My question is what stall converter should I use and should I be looking at a different gear ratio? Car will be a driver and not a racer, but I would like the option to look at some kid at a stop light who's driving his dad's Mustang GT and then seeing him in my mirror. Any input? Thanks

a 318 with a mild cam i'm not sure i would go with much more then a stock high stahl. depending how you drive the car i would keep the 3.23 gear. if ya really want something more i wouldn't go more then a 3.55. the 8 1/4 will be fine behind a 318

the 8.25 will be fine but we really need to know how tall a tire u want to run. 3.73's are good for around town and hwy. im building a 8.75 with a 3.91 sg for my dart and in gonna run a 28 or 29" tall tire to keep it a little above 3K @ 65mph. something to think about

Call these guys http://www.accperformance.com/index.html and tell them what you have and what you expect. Great prices and great warranty. I am running one of their street bandit 3000 stall and have no issues. One thing to keep in mind is the higher stall convertors need a bigger external cooler.

Need some specs on the cam for a good converter recommendation....IF you even need a stall. You may not.

-
Back