Gearbox has way too much play.

-

nephlyte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
If i grab the steering column that goes into the gearbox, i can turn it a LOT more than 1/4th inch. My problem is that there don't seem to be replacements for the gearbox out there in the market?

What are my options? Anyone have a good source for kits to rebuild them?

Anyone have any other options?

i got a kit on line for my 69 box. This box was hard to rebuild and was not worth the time. special wrenches had to be used to get the large castle nuts off of the housing. and preloading an internal bearing was time consuming as the tool you need is a scale and piece of string to test resistance of the bearing.

There is a backlash adjustment on top of the box. Look for a jamb nut with a screw through the center of it. Loosen the nut and turn the screw only a 1/4 turn at a time. Too little backlash is just as bad.
If the input shaft moves in and out of the top seal the backlash adjustment wont cure it completely but may help.

Where did you get a rebuild kit for your 69 box?

I'll try that adjustment, but i think its worn beyond adjustment.

Anyone know the cross overs with this gearbox? Can i pull one from just about any A body?

not just any a-body gearbox will work.. The input and output shaft sizes changed along with the design of the pitman arm. It think the changes occured in 1970. Or was it 72 ? The size of the hex nut holding the pitman arm on is a good indicater if you should go yard shopping.

I adjusted this first as per the FSM. It helped alot, and it was free.
Then I tackled the coupler on the column and combine that with tightening the steering box it is way better. The coupler was slightly time consuming and slightly expensive.

Its unreal how a little bit of play in the coupler and steering box transmits into a lot of bad steering!

There is a backlash adjustment on top of the box. Look for a jamb nut with a screw through the center of it. Loosen the nut and turn the screw only a 1/4 turn at a time. Too little backlash is just as bad.
If the input shaft moves in and out of the top seal the backlash adjustment wont cure it completely but may help.

-
Back