Geen bearing install

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
I really tried to spare all you guys from yet ANOTHER newb question, but running a search didn't get me what I need.
Changing out the center section tomorrow and also putting in the infamous Green bearings.
Problem is, they came with no instruction whatsoever and I'm not sure exactly how the install should go.
What am I tearing out and what should stay. The new bearings look straight forward....press on the bearing then the retainer, but what about the old axle preload adjusment stuff?
If 'ya know of any printed instructions on the web, please guide me there. If not maybe one of you could splain the process to me? I've used a press to put on bearings before, but not Mopar and certainly nothing like these Green bearings.

Have mercy on me for I know not what the heck I'm doin'.

You pretty much have it. Don't forget to install the outer retainer before pressing the bearing and retainer on. The axle seal is optional (not needed) but I'd run it for extra insurance. The adjuster stuff is simply left off. Remove the trust button from the center section.

greenbearingonaxle.jpg

Got er all done today. Just had to wing it, which really was no big deal. My factory axle seals were "iffy" so I installed the new ones.
Mine are a bit different from those in your pic. The retainer is actually part of the bearing on the ones I bought. Pull off the old and press on the bearing...heat up the inner retainer and press it on.
Tomorrow morning I'll slide the axles in, bolt 'em up ...slip in the new speedo gear and take a nice ride. Supposed to be 65 degrees and sunny here in PA.
Honestly today, the hardest part of the whole swap was getting the old center section out without it falling on my chest.........supposed to do that tomorrow with a buddy but just couldn't wait. I'm sure you know how it is.

Deadlifting an 8 3/4 center section, on your back is the best .. everyone should do it at least once or 10 times in their lifetime.

:rock:

Ain't no button in the new one. Detriot Trutrac 4:10 built by DTS.
I WOULD like to get the button out of the factory 3:23. I see springs, so I guess it's a cone type posi. I think that means I have to tear the unit apart to get the pin out. Am I right? Hope I'm wrong.

Put 140 miles on the new unit today and going from 3:23 to 4:10 is a pretty dramatic difference. Won't be doin' much highway driving in this thing. What a jump in performance, though. 6000 RPM comes REALLY fast ...all of a sudden.....

beleve it or not i dove my 70 r/r vrt from fredrick md. to bristol tn. with a 410 gear and it was a 440 6 pack thats a long was to buzz a big block at 3000 rpm. i had to barrow money for gas to get home.

Got er all done today. Just had to wing it, which really was no big deal. My factory axle seals were "iffy" so I installed the new ones.
Mine are a bit different from those in your pic. The retainer is actually part of the bearing on the ones I bought. Pull off the old and press on the bearing...heat up the inner retainer and press it on.
Tomorrow morning I'll slide the axles in, bolt 'em up ...slip in the new speedo gear and take a nice ride. Supposed to be 65 degrees and sunny here in PA.
Honestly today, the hardest part of the whole swap was getting the old center section out without it falling on my chest.........supposed to do that tomorrow with a buddy but just couldn't wait. I'm sure you know how it is.
The last time I removed the center section I used my floor jack for the heavy lifting. I secured it to the jack with a ratchet strap I have. It was so much easier.

Hey godfather, anything vibrate loose on that long trip? Drove my old Chevelle 200 miles on the interstate, many years ago, and when we arrived the shifter was barely hangin' on the tranny. Gas was cheap then...
Now that I'm all set up, I definitely need to adjust the pinion angle before any long road trips. Vibration gets pretty freaky at 65 MPH right now.

-
Back