Geez what is with the prejudice against bench seats

-

yellowdart72

Reaction score
I went to a yard today to get a front seat for my duster and I get there and they have two pair of 70/1 style buckets hanging from the rafters and the guy assumed I wanted a pair when I told him I was there for a front seat for a 70 valiant duster.

I told him no, don't you have any bench seats. And he looks at me like I told a bad joke or something. So we go out to the yard to see what they have for a bench and there is a car out there with a bench with the center armrest, so I told him I didn't like that so much because I don't. I asked him if they had any good old fashion standard bench seats, (geez is it so hard.)

so we come up on a skeleton of a 70 swinger and there is a bench in there even though it is tattered and need some help. I told him I will take it, how much. And he looks at me like I am joking and he says "you can have it, I doubt anyone else in their right mind will want a standard bench like that."

Geeez ok, is a bench seat that bad, I like the idea of the shifter coming over the seat and my lady sitting next to me while cruising a hot summer night. :supz:

Benches are alright for cruisers, for my car I prefer buckets with bolsters for corner carving.

In the old days we used to ride around with four people in the back seat and two adults in the front and a kid in the middle, so bench seats were preferred because you add another passenger.

Of course that was the days when kids were not as overweight on average like now. So now a days you get bucket seats and leave the fatass kid at home LOL

Loved the bench seats on date night!!! I still plan on finding a bench seat for my 1970 Road Runner restoration. (it had Chebby buckets in it when I got it.)

In 74 used to ride with my arm around my girlfriend. She drove a 4 spd Toyota. I'd push in the clutch and she'd upshift, downshift, I didn't even need to tell her what gear I wanted. Only time I took over was when some Chebby wanted to watch my tail light on the way to the next light. That was fun times.

I had a bench seat in my '69 340 Swinger back in the very early '70s and it was great. Newly married and my bride sat next to me with her arm around me as we cruised Whittier Blvd.
I even kept it after changing the 727 to a reverse-pattern manual shift. It was funny when we got our first dog because he would lay on the seat next to me and the shifter handle hit him in the nose everytime I'd shift from 2nd to 3rd.
Back then a bench was also lighter weight than two buckets.

My Dart has a bench seat and will probably stay that way. I have bought two sets of bucket seats that did not end up in my car. Even if I put a four speed in the car the bench will stay.

Yellowdart, wish I was closer. That bench with the fold down armrest, is what I want for my Duster.

Loved the bench seats on date night!!! I still plan on finding a bench seat for my 1970 Road Runner restoration. (it had Chebby buckets in it when I got it.)

B-body bench seats are hens teeth, good luck. I had a friend with a 70 runner a few years and I tried to find him a B-body bench and they are non-existent except for ones that are overpriced junk.

That is another reason why A-bodies are boss, A body parts are out there and nothing A-body is really "rare" and A-body cars probably have the best ride and balance. I have been through them all B,C,E body and the A is by far the easiest and most fun to take care of.

I like the bench in my car, but the buckets do tend to have better support, and are more comfortable to me on a long trip. Of course, I'm not 25 anymore either.

If you plan on driving it much the bench with center armrest would be the best bet. Best of both worlds, gal next to you when you are together and armrest down when alone and wanting comfort.

But to each his own.

If you like a standard bench the guy is probably right, no one else would probably want it.

If you are happy what a deal, free

Yellowdart, wish I was closer. That bench with the fold down armrest, is what I want for my Duster.

I have access to one with center armrest but its from a 67 cuda so it don't have the latches but if you are handy with a welder or know someone who is, you can update the seat to any year you want. I have seen this done many times.

Feel like shipping a seat? you can have it for shipping because I would rather someone be using it in their ride, getting lucky on it than have it going to the dogs getting hammered by the sandstorms we have out here in southeastern Colorado. LMK

I've sold a bunch of bench seats over the years! I listed one a while back from a 68 Roadrunner, just to get rid of it! Had the starting price at $50, no reserve! Don't you know that thing sold for $350, and the dude was giddy to get it!! Must've been in love with his sweety!!

Give a listen to Cake's song "Stickshifts and Safety Belts", you'll understand why benches are hot!!!! Geof

Give a listen to Cake's song "Stickshifts and Safety Belts", you'll understand why benches are hot!!!! Geof

maybe I am oldschool but to me a bench seat screams muscle. I am not sure what my car had originally had but its a 70 valiant duster 340 that is a stripper car with virtually no options, except for the optional 4 speed.

It seems to me that people ordered the low option cars to race and gave no regard to the fancy stuff. which is how I am building this car.

It seems if you install buckets, you almost need to option the car up to match the "loaded" theme.

My wife and I have talked about this, and we decided to stick with bucket seats. The reason for this is I'm 6'4", and she's 5'3". On the rare occasions that I let her drive, my knees would be up around my ears.

My wife and I have talked about this, and we decided to stick with bucket seats. The reason for this is I'm 6'4", and she's 5'3". On the rare occasions that I let her drive, my knees would be up around my ears.

You shoulda married a Norwegian girl like I did. She's 6'-2" while I'm her "midget" at 6'-0".:blob:

Both of my old Mopars have bench seats, I love 'em! Lots more room when you go parking with your sweetie.....

'65 Valiant OE bench seat. Had it recovered in a groovy 60's looking pattern cloth.
i-CPp8j82-M.jpg

i-Vt92Z8F-M.jpg

I wrote a song about my bench seat. V8' and Benchseats. Its all about cruising with your lady on your arm. Wink wink.

That is something I never thought of and my cousin who is always with me is 4'9" and I am closer to the six foot mark and so far that has never been an issue because I am usually driving. She has her own car, a 68 dart and I have been the passenger in the dart but it has bucket seats, so you may be on to a good point there. I would like to believe I would still fit ok on the pass. of the duster with her driving but now you got me thinking.

Had a bench in my Belvedere (first car), was stoked that the Swinger I got for my son's first car had a bench. He says he wants buckets, he will learn.

-
Back