Gen III Front accessories, Best combo and belt routing??

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
So we took delivery of our first long block 5.7 today. It's an 08 long block, with no MDS, and no timing cover. at this raw stage in the build, with anticipation of obviously running an alternator and waterpump, and maybe a PS pump...What front accessories are most desirable? and easiest to deal with? I'm assuming the car timing cover, and car intake, for hood clearance come swap time. but is there a known alternator, and known belt routing that makes the serpentine WP setup usable? seems to me the swaps i see aren't using the car alternator location, and i know 75% of these swaps won't need A/C, or power steering for that matter. SO anyways, whats everyone doing? only aftermarket system i see in the 2K march performance system, which has AC...and that seems excessive for our purposes.

Car timing cover and all accessories. Factory belt routing. You can leave out the AC compressor and just run a shorter belt (YMMV- I killed belts without it), but you cannot leave out the PS pulley (must run PS pulley or PS delete pulley- factory PS delete pulley from later hemi's won't work, too tall off the head).

Car timing cover and all accessories. Factory belt routing. You can leave out the AC compressor and just run a shorter belt (YMMV- I killed belts without it), but you cannot leave out the PS pulley (must run PS pulley or PS delete pulley- factory PS delete pulley from later hemi's won't work, too tall off the head).

any Pn for the correct delete pulley? other than that, the factory tensioner, and idler and WP from say...an 08 charger?

also any insight into using the mopar PS pump. I see the pressure output is too high, and i can run an LS pump, and then i have to change the pulley and oblong the holes...yada yada.. also some word of drilling the pressure side to a larger ID, thus reducing pressure, but no actual practice of that as far as i can see?

Attachments

• belt routing 5.7.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 2,072
Alright gen 3 guys...someone has to have a better option than this 300$ bpe idler to kill ps. No one has a pn for a 92 Volvo 6 groove idler that just so happens to bolt up? Lol

I went this route because I plan on a/c later maybe.

Its really the only way to use the factory car intake. If you use a DP intake guys use and engine plate to mount the alt then run an electric water pump.

You can cut down the factory idler from the later engines that run electric PS:

Although I probably going to need to run PS now and I need to relocate the AC compressor.

Its really the only way to use the factory car intake. If you use a DP intake guys use and engine plate to mount the alt then run an electric water pump.

Ya thats how I had it In my diagram also. Worried about the high pressure of the stock pump for those that want to run ps. I personally dont need it (manual rack) but want to know how to for others in the future. As u may have seen in my other posts, this is for a crate engine line.

You can cut down the factory idler from the later engines that run electric PS:

Although I probably going to need to run PS now and I need to relocate the AC compressor.

See that is perfect. Can you help me with the pn on that bracket, as well as understanding how the pulley still bolts on if you cut the nose off? Is it threaded that deep?

The bracket had a section cut out of it and was welded back together, you may be able to just machine the end down, but there is not a lot of metal there to machine.

1 PULLEY. Idler. 04627851AA $16.74
1 BRACKET. Idler Pulley. 04593918AA $46.85

The bracket had a section cut out of it and was welded back together, you may be able to just machine the end down, but there is not a lot of metal there to machine.

1 PULLEY. Idler. 04627851AA $16.74
1 BRACKET. Idler Pulley. 04593918AA $46.85

So you sectioned approx an inch out of the middle? Dont suppose you have an exact spec?

I'm using an adjustable regulator for my power rack and Jeep SRT8 PS pump. Can't think of the brand and it's stored away for now, but I'm sure you could Google it. When it comes down to it, I may get a non power rack and try it with an idler. If the non power works good enough, I may not use the power stuff I've already mocked up. That would tidy up my engine bay a bit, even though you really only see the pump.

I took 1/2" out of the PS bracket, somebody else machined 7/16" off the end, so that is somewhere in the ballpark of what it needs.

Thats not too bad. Probably worth a try. Beats the $300 idler thats on the market. Wonder if I can take .125 off the mating surface so only .375 needs to come off the snout.

I'm using an adjustable regulator for my power rack and Jeep SRT8 PS pump. Can't think of the brand and it's stored away for now, but I'm sure you could Google it. When it comes down to it, I may get a non power rack and try it with an idler. If the non power works good enough, I may not use the power stuff I've already mocked up. That would tidy up my engine bay a bit, even though you really only see the pump.

What year srt gc? Everything I look up does not come with a reservoir? So you use a $100 adjustable pressure vale, almost like a proportioning valve?

can you tell me an application or PN on that power steering pump in your picture?? all the ones i'm looking up for the SRT GC don't have reservoirs.

I made my own pump bracket and the pump is a circle track GM unit with a 4.7 pulley.

-
Back