General 318-340 questions

-
My 318 Stock Eliminator Wagon routinely shifts
at 6800 and goes 7000 in the lights! It has not
been rebuilt for many years and runs great!

I’m looking to build it to 400-450 hp I should’ve wrote that earlier. I don’t care about size of the bore as much just thought bore size directly equaled more horsepower.
What's magic to you, about 450/500 hp in a small-tub 72 Dart streeter?
The biggest tires you can install into the factory tubs are probably 255s, and those can't hardly deal with 250hp.
If yur not going to the track, 450/500 is extreme overkill, and even more so with 318 cubes, because of:
the rpm required,
the quality of the build,
the tune,
the support works, and
the chassis work required to take advantage of all that power.
I mean even if you just want to spin the 255-tires right thru First gear, 250/275 CRANK hp is more than enough.
I mean every 340 ever built had that exact problem, lol. Well, I heard that there were dog-340s, but I never had one; even worn out, they burned rubber.

Bore it only the minimum amount it takes to clean it up. Who cares what size it is. Strong, straight, round bores are better than bigger, thin wall bores.
This reigns true. Uncompromised, straight from top to bottom- true round bores with thick surrounding material trumps max displacement.

If 318s could be made into 340s we would know by now..and anyway there are plenty that say 318s are better than 340s...yeah I went there...:lol:

-
Back