Get a Grip!

-
If I were you I'd go with Buffalo Horn. It's a great grip medium for a real six shooter and I think it would perfect for the Ramcharger. Let me see if I can find pics..

The last is buffalo marble horn which is freaking stunning. Nothing tougher either.

Oh man I like that last one!

The black ones don't bad either.

Im sure you could find a GOOD gunsmith in your area with references who can make you set for a reasonable price and just may take the job on to broaden their horizons. Bring pics of the Cuda too, they may give you a discount if you show the finished version on here. Everyone likes more business. :)

Edit: Look for the gunsmiths who work on single action revolvers in your area. When you vist thier shop/store be sure to comment on their work. A good craftsman always likes feedback. Who knows, you just might want to pick up a nice Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt while you're there. :)

Im sure you could find a GOOD gunsmith in your area with references who can make you set for a reasonable price and just may take the job on to broaden their horizons. Bring pics of the Cuda too, they may give you a discount if you show the finished version on here. Everyone likes more business. :)

Edit: Look for the gunsmiths who work on single action revolvers in your area. When you vist thier shop/store be sure to comment on their work. A good craftsman always likes feedback. Who knows, you just might want to pick up a nice Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt while you're there. :)

Hmmm I did know that you could get custom gun grips.

Here is one website I've found for $50.00

http://www.pistolgrip727.com/index.php?id=woodgrips

and

http://www.challengerpistolgrip.com/

.45 Cal!
I'd be walking around with a cast after I shot it once! lol!

Looks good man, I like those pistol grips. My buddy has one in his coronet and bashes his knuckles on the dash every time he shifts into 3rd, of course he isn't very gentle with it. Anyway, glad to know they arent all like that.

Naaaa.... .45 Colt is really a pretty mild round to shoot out of a hefty single action revolver. It doesn't have near the kick that a .44 mag does. A 240 grain hard cast, lead semi-wadcutter bullet in a mild load (850-900fps) will drill right through a buffalos leg bone at 50 yards. It's an amazing round with a soft kick and tons of power.

Find a good local guy, he'll appreciate the business. :)

Looks good man, I like those pistol grips. My buddy has one in his coronet and bashes his knuckles on the dash every time he shifts into 3rd, of course he isn't very gentle with it. Anyway, glad to know they arent all like that.

Shoot no!

I carefully installed the shifter handle and made sure the handle was no where close to the dash in first and third.... if it was I'd would have sent it back. lol

Here is some nice wood grain samples

thumb.jpg

what set of linkages are you using? the stock ones? Or the hurst ones?
Are you using the stock shifter thing too?

Thats the only part i cant seem to figure out and a guy i talked to didnt know that sold the hurst stuff.

Thanks in advance

justin

i like how that fits height wise, but i need it to move over some for my large legs, anyone have any ideas on that besides loosing weight because that will take too long...:iconbigg:

what set of linkages are you using? the stock ones? Or the hurst ones?
Are you using the stock shifter thing too?

Thats the only part i cant seem to figure out and a guy i talked to didnt know that sold the hurst stuff.

Thanks in advance

justin

When I bought the car it was already installed. The shifter assembly has Hurst stamped on it... I've had the assembly and rods out before. So I know it is a Hurst. I don't know if you can get everything you need at places like Summit, Jegs, etc.. But I would go here and see what you can find:

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/hurst-products/Manual-Shifter-Installation-Kits

The shifter assembly I have is the Competition/Plus series I THINK!

I Comp+ uses two bolts to mount the shifter handle whereas it's different on others.

i like how that fits height wise, but i need it to move over some for my large legs, anyone have any ideas on that besides loosing weight because that will take too long...:iconbigg:

I don't believe you can honestly compare the pictures of my car to yours because I have a 67 and yours is 65... so there more than likely the shifter assembly will be in a little different location.

Not that purpleheart would look good in a green car but I used that stuff on a custom bass guitar I was building and that stuff is really hard. Its so hard that you can take it up to 2000 grit paper and then polishing compound and make it shine almost like a piece of metal. Really neat stuff.

Not that purpleheart would look good in a green car but I used that stuff on a custom bass guitar I was building and that stuff is really hard. Its so hard that you can take it up to 2000 grit paper and then polishing compound and make it shine almost like a piece of metal. Really neat stuff.

I like the Cocobolo. They have Pistol Grip shifter handles already made ready to bolt on the late model Chargers and Challengers. They are custom made and not one is exactly same as the other. That's where I got that wood chart from. They are like $175 each.

Overall I am completely satisfied with it in all aspects. Maybe this will help others in the future that have same questions I had. :-D[/quote]

Do you think it would hit the seat if you had a bench?
Are you worried the shifter boot will tear over time?

That shifter actually curves towards the driver, correct?

I went to a swap meet and the guy let me take it over to my car, but it was so difficult to tell if it would hit the seat.

Overall I am completely satisfied with it in all aspects. Maybe this will help others in the future that have same questions I had. :-D

Do you think it would hit the seat if you had a bench?I really can't yes or no but there is picture of the bench above and he does not have any trouble
Are you worried the shifter boot will tear over time? No it wasn't extremely hard to slide over the handle. It also has a thick lip of rubber going around it. The correct boot for the shifter is $45 then you have to pay shipping from Year One so they aren't very expenceive.

That shifter actually curves towards the driver, correct?No it curves away from the driver.

I went to a swap meet and the guy let me take it over to my car, but it was so difficult to tell if it would hit the seat.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is really hard to tell until you get it mounted.

DSC02129.jpg

Thank you, something I have been trying to figure out for some time, without actually buying the shifter and boot only to be disappointed.
Great post.
(Answers in green no less!)

Thank you, something I have been trying to figure out for some time, without actually buying the shifter and boot only to be disappointed.
Great post.
(Answers in green no less!)

LOL! You're very welcome.

That's reason I went in to so much depth about the shifter. I been wanting one for years and never bought it because I had so many questions.

Mullinax nice shifter!Now I,m jealous,can,t put my cherry one in til April!Cars in storage,but first thing I,m putting this baby in!!

1.jpg

Overall I am completely satisfied with it in all aspects. Maybe this will help others in the future that have same questions I had. :-D

Do you think it would hit the seat if you had a bench?
Are you worried the shifter boot will tear over time?

That shifter actually curves towards the driver, correct?

I went to a swap meet and the guy let me take it over to my car, but it was so difficult to tell if it would hit the seat.[/quote] Read Pistol grip shifter, by 340 swinger. pg 2, post #308)

That answers that- no bench w/o modifications.
No big deal, save it for another day, the car still shifts and I have a round hurst/black ball to replace the current one with the ripped boot.
Thank you.

3.JPG

Man that was quick, Is it laying on seat in 4`th? I wondered if round hole would shape to rec. shifter wihout gaps, sweet. I still cant use oval boot, cause my shifter emerge`s @ back of hole. oh well still8). Mine is real comfy also, arm on fold down armrest, and grip falls right in hand. easy with resting on shifter, supposed to be hard on internals:-k. B body guy`s probably scowl at us for using their shifters, but do we care? NO:-D I heard rumor of some chebbie guys putting them in their:puke::clock:bombs

BINGO! That did it for me. Great to finally see how these shifters look in relation to a bench seat. From the looks of it, it couldn't be better. Can't wait to get it installed in my car now.

I don't believe you can honestly compare the pictures of my car to yours because I have a 67 and yours is 65... so there more than likely the shifter assembly will be in a little different location.

not for the barracuda

Mullinax: You have inspired me !

I've been a "B & E" body guy for almost 40 years and just acquired my first "A" body (69 Barracuda Fastback). First thing I looked at while conceptualizing the look of the new interior was a pistol grip sticking out of the console. Thought it would be nice match to the other cars around the house.
Well one look at your setup and come hell or high water my hand will be wrapped around a pistol grip in this 69 Barracuda when the restoration is complete.

Mullinax: You have inspired me !

I've been a "B & E" body guy for almost 40 years and just acquired my first "A" body (69 Barracuda Fastback). First thing I looked at while conceptualizing the look of the new interior was a pistol grip sticking out of the console. Thought it would be nice match to the other cars around the house.
Well one look at your setup and come hell or high water my hand will be wrapped around a pistol grip in this 69 Barracuda when the restoration is complete.

Glad I could help!

I bought my cuda in 06 and it was my first a-body. I always had a 68 Charger.

Feel free to explain so we will all know what you are talking about specifically.

i'm looking for a shifter that lays over to towards the passenger side of the car because i don't like it right up against my leg. the question was aimed in that direction and it will be for my 65 Belvedere. i've noticed that some are straight up and down and some have a curve in them, so i'm assuming that the 71 up B body shifter is the one with the curve?

and P.S., my 65 and your 67 have very similiar interiors / seats / room. if it wouldn't take me until tomorrow to figure out how to post a pic i would to show you.

have you ever been to the Hayes show at ATL dragway?

-
Back