Get a Grip!

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I went ahead and installed a new Pistol Grip shifter. I love the way it feels and shifts. I had just a Hurst T-handle type shifter before. It is Hurst part#5388580. It is really for a 71 and up B-body but of course it will fit A-body.

I always had many questions that really never got answered. The first question was how close to the dash does the shifter come? For some reason all the pictures I've seen of the Pistol Grip in A-bodies looked to awfully close to the dash. But this is not true by a long shot. I have tried to position my camera close to the dash in order to show the distance between the shifter and dash. The first picture is the shifter in first gear and the second is it in forth gear.

The second question I had was how would it feel in forth gear? You know how on long trips you always want to set your right arm on something? The shifter is actually real close to my hip now rather than my leg. I can rest my hand on my leg and the arm kind of rests itself on the shifter. I find it more comfortable that the T-handle. The shifter feels stronger in my hand (like I really got control) than the old one.

The third question I had was do I need a different boot?

There are boots that has the square hole in top of the boot and there are the ones that have the round hole in top. I already had the round hole boot so I was going to give it a try and it works just fine. So buying another boot just because it is square is really unnecessary. Saved $$$ there.

Overall I am completely satisfied with it in all aspects. Maybe this will help others in the future that have same questions I had. :-D

DSC02118.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

DSC02123.jpg

Hey, Mullinax, thanks for the heads up on your install. It looks like it was made for your car! This has made up my mind for me...I'm definitely going with a Pistol Grip! This is a great tech topic; as soon as everybody sees your install, there will be an avalance of interest in getting a Pistol Grip.

Thanks.

Very nice Ax!! I was thinking of doing a pistol grip shifter for my transfer case on the Ramcharger. You just made up my mind for me. :)

How close is it to your leg/hip when it's in second gear? The shifter that was in my car (not a pistol grip) is very close to my leg in second. Felt like I was going to hit my leg when I banged second gear.

Man that was quick, Is it laying on seat in 4`th? I wondered if round hole would shape to rec. shifter wihout gaps, sweet. I still cant use oval boot, cause my shifter emerge`s @ back of hole. oh well still8). Mine is real comfy also, arm on fold down armrest, and grip falls right in hand. easy with resting on shifter, supposed to be hard on internals:-k. B body guy`s probably scowl at us for using their shifters, but do we care? NO:-D I heard rumor of some chebbie guys putting them in their:puke::clock:bombs

parts 005.jpg

How close is it to your leg/hip when it's in second gear? The shifter that was in my car (not a pistol grip) is very close to my leg in second. Felt like I was going to hit my leg when I banged second gear.

I guess it really depends on the size of the driver. I'm kind of skinny guy so my legs aren't large. I didn't experience that sensation of hitting leg today as I drove the car.

Here is some pictures of me sitting naturally (not trying to fudge) in the car with it in second gear. The last two photos is in forth gear.

DSC02133.jpg

DSC02134.jpg

DSC02135.jpg

DSC02137.jpg

DSC02138.jpg

Man that was quick, Is it laying on seat in 4`th? I wondered if round hole would shape to rec. shifter wihout gaps, sweet. I still cant use oval boot, cause my shifter emerge`s @ back of hole. oh well still8). Mine is real comfy also, arm on fold down armrest, and grip falls right in hand. easy with resting on shifter, supposed to be hard on internals:-k. B body guy`s probably scowl at us for using their shifters, but do we care? NO:-D I heard rumor of some chebbie guys putting them in their:puke::clock:bombs

I bet that is comfortable!

I tell ya... I really enjoy the "feel" of my car now. I'm not just saying that...it really does. I noticed that with the longer shifter handle that it shakes more with the cam..lol!

I've got it bad.... I stayed in town so I could shift more often today!:angry7:

Oh no! Not the chevy guys! Everyone knows who really created the Pistol Grip. Ma Mopar!

Man that looks like it sits right where its supposed to- just off your leg. That should be fun and comfortable all at the same time.

I guess it really depends on the size of the driver. I'm kind of skinny guy so my legs aren't large. I didn't experience that sensation of hitting leg today as I drove the car.

Here is some pictures of me sitting naturally (not trying to fudge) in the car with it in second gear. The last two photos is in forth gear.

Thanks for the pics, that's exactly what I needed to see. I am bigger that you (read fat) so my legs come closer to the edge of the bucket seat.

Mine's bigger than yours Mully.................

That's not what she said! LOL!

Yes it is... nice and tall.

What type of wood is your grips made of? I'm going to make a set out of some type of hardwood. Mahogany, cherry, fir, cedar,etc...

I believe I could do it but it will take sometime. I thought about this before buying the shifter handle but really never got deep with it. I would like to make them myself but it might be just as easy to buy them... but that would take all the hobby out of it.

Get you a nice piece of Black Walnut, preferably from the buttrous roots somewhere and start filing away. Thats what the really pretty gun stocks are made of. I used to have some laying around here somewhere... My dads in Townville and I'm sure he's got some.

I`ve had one in a B and an E body and I wasn`t crazy about it in the B body, I found the throw too long. The E body was great though ,shorter throw and positioned just right,.. like it was made for it. The positioning and throw in your Barracuda look very good.

That's not what she said! LOL!

Yes it is... nice and tall.

What type of wood is your grips made of? I'm going to make a set out of some type of hardwood. Mahogany, cherry, fir, cedar,etc...

I believe I could do it but it will take sometime. I thought about this before buying the shifter handle but really never got deep with it. I would like to make them myself but it might be just as easy to buy them... but that would take all the hobby out of it.

They're natural cherry, with clear lacquer.....a modest grain.....I matched the whole car with that grain..........BUT, if you don't have to match anything in particular, you can get RADICAL with woodgrain........There's some nice stuff out there.

I've had mine since I got the car (came with it). I never had a problem with it hitting my leg. I just rest my leg on the trans hump. As for the rubber boot mine came with a thin shifter hole. I have yet to see another one like it.

Get you a nice piece of Black Walnut, preferably from the buttrous roots somewhere and start filing away. Thats what the really pretty gun stocks are made of. I used to have some laying around here somewhere... My dads in Townville and I'm sure he's got some.

I would feel pretty bad if I had to ask someone "I need some buttrous Black Walnut!" LOL

I'll have to check it out. I haven't scanned the internet for them yet... after I see the price I might start looking for some wood laying around.

Townville is just up road from me.

They're natural cherry, with clear lacquer.....a modest grain.....I matched the whole car with that grain..........BUT, if you don't have to match anything in particular, you can get RADICAL with woodgrain........There's some nice stuff out there.

Yeah I like the radical woodgrain. I used to work in a cabinet shop and made some pretty stuff out of solid oak hardwood. We would make deer head mounting boards that people mount their deer to and hang it on the wall. They would be in the shape of a sheriff badge.

If I were you I'd go with Buffalo Horn. It's a great grip medium for a real six shooter and I think it would perfect for the Ramcharger. Let me see if I can find pics..

The last is buffalo marble horn which is freaking stunning. Nothing tougher either.

wm_md_831550.jpg

buffalo_1.jpg

DSCN5999.jpg

-
Back