Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2 cycle130 hp ,
2000 Yamaha V4.
The owner swears that he only ran non ethanol in it
It appears that the carbs need rebuilding
My question, what's the best way to get old crusty fuel deposits out of a carb ? I have used Snow Bowl to successfully remove aluminum electrolysis, but haven't found a for sure solution to dissolve petroleum products ???

Acetone will remove gas varnish and is a fairly safe solvent to people and aluminum.

I just bought a 2 cycle130 hp ,
2000 Yamaha V4.
The owner swears that he only ran non ethanol in it
It appears that the carbs need rebuilding
My question, what's the best way to get old crusty fuel deposits out of a carb ? I have used Snow Bowl to successfully remove aluminum electrolysis, but haven't found a for sure solution to dissolve petroleum products ???
Your carb look like this? I’ve done one ATV that has sat for years with non ethanol fuel in it and now doing another one that sit right beside the first.
I just disassemble them and drop it all in bucket of carb cleaner for about 12 hours they come out squeaky clean. And do your self a favor and clean out the tank and fuel petcock because they look the same as the carb In fact had to replace the fuel petcock on both because the filter screens were rotted off.

71036604890__FCF496A1-ED68-4782-9E4B-4C05CCCB8355.jpeg

berryman's full stop.

but, you want berryman professional chem-dip carburetor and parts cleaner. the 5gal is PN 0905 and like $350, which is a great deal if you're doing a bunch of work. but not everybody needs that... so they sell it in 1gal "replenisher" size PN 0901 which is enough to dip small carbs. you will need a metal bucket (or bowl) and parts basket.

the berrymans 1gal that's available at vato-zone and the like is totally toothless (at least here in CA) and will work okay for carbs that aren't super bad.

a bucks down approach is, no ****, pine-sol. cut it 50/50 and soak over night, but be aware that some times there's a little discoloration of the metal.

Sharpertek shellac buster, but it will take zinc dichromate, anodizing etc. off, about $80/gal. They say 7-10min soak max, but I had a rough Q-jet that took a couple hrs., the main jets were so corroded You couldn't read the size stamping any longer on one of them.
That was followed up by a few stints in the ultrasonic cleaning tank.

-
Back