Get rid of the like button

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
The whole point of a forum is discussion. Think about that.

Or if that’s not an option, maybe only make it available to emphasize something you actually write. So you’d have to physically say/type something in response to a post before the button becomes active.

Only place I can see a use for the like button is in the classifieds. We can’t comment on for sale ads so liking something is reasonable in that particular situation.

It stifles discussion otherwise and fosters laziness.

I say get rid of the Red >

x-language-Q95Zmr2-600-3784981879.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Or if that’s not an option, maybe only make it available to emphasize something you actually write. So you’d have to physically say/type something in response to a post before the button becomes active.

Only place I can see a use for the like button is in the classifieds. We can’t comment on for sale ads so liking something is reasonable in that particular situation.

The comedian in me just wants to push the like button and move on...

Have to laugh, figured there would be a few throwing "Shade" with a red X.

Maybe they could use a Yellow X as their signature of being a "Yellow Belly Sap Sucker"

Screenshot_20240107-121221_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

I would like to see the green light when a member is online and the red light when a member is offline again.

I would like to see the green light when a member is online and the red light when a member is offline again.
There is a Green Circle at the bottom of a member's Avatar showing they are online. When they leave and go offline the Green Circle goes away.

Like this, showing online now:

Online Now.png

Totally disagree!

I think it’s a great way to reinforce another members post without having to add another post to the thread yourself.

I mean sure, if there’s more to add on the topic then you can quote or reply, but if you don’t have anything to add but like/agree with another members post I don’t see any reason why clicking “like” is a problem.

It helps show other people reading the post that the first members post is supported by other members. Same with the “disagree” box, if somebody posts something that isn’t right and collects a few “disagree’s” then someone looking at that thread in the future knows they may need to take that post with a grain of salt.

I think the “disagree” button should be used sparingly since it does tend to trigger folks, but that’s the way it goes. It’s like reading a review of an item online, there will be positive and negative reviews and you have to sort for yourself which ones are most accurate.

Here is a smaller version of the "Respectfully Disagree" Blue X
Much Better

View attachment 1716189043

I really don’t think the color of the “x” makes a difference, a disagree is a disagree.

Maybe changing the color would “help” momentarily because we’re all used to the red one, but after we get used to what the blue one means it’ll draw the same reaction.

I say just leave it red.

I really don’t think the color of the “x” makes a difference, a disagree is a disagree.

Maybe changing the color would “help” momentarily because we’re all used to the red one, but after we get used to what the blue one means it’ll draw the same reaction.

I say just leave it red.

Re-Re-Size Blue X.png

(testing)

Does not actually tell you anything. Sometimes I'm off to the store, the laptop is sitting here logged in. SOMETIMES I'm doing something, research, and have some websites up, and I leave it on all night!!! You have no way of knowing if I see this or not...............

I like the 4 choices, just as they are;
but I don't like that sometimes I have such a hard time deleting an image that I may have erroneously chosen, or just want to update it with a better image.
and sometimes it is impossible to delete a post that is double posted, even tho the entire post has been emptied of content. I feel so guilty leaving it there as a testament to my wastefulness.

Last edited:
I find the reaction buttons supplant critical thinking. We’re literally dumbing ourselves down by reducing the use of actual language to communicate.

Liking something means nothing because you can randomly like anything and everything. What’s to stop someone from going through every single post on the front page and just hitting the like button for every one they open without offering a single thing in return? What is the value in that?

Last time I checked, this is a forum based on discussion, not getting votes. Presumably, we’re all here because we like Mopar A bodies and general car stuff which should put everyone on relatively equal footing. Car discussions generally center around technical or procedural information. Explain to me how liking or disliking things of that nature is useful in regards to what's being discussed. It’s not.

If you don't like what me or anyone else says, move on or respectfully say why. If you like or agree with what me or someone else says, use your brain and say why. It's not that hard.

Regardless of what people choose to think about the things I say, I'm 110% certain I don’t need my ego stroked with a like about it. I post things here because I have a genuine interest in the subject at hand and enjoy sharing what I’m doing or helping other like-minded people. The last thing I care about is whether someone likes what I have to say or not.

I don't know about anyone else but I put thought into just about every post I make and try to choose my words carefully. Conversely, the like button requires zero thought or commitment. I’ve been here a long time but my post count is still on the low side. Why? Because I don’t respond to everything I read unless I have something thoughtful to say or add.

Express yourself with words, not a meaningless icon.

-
Back