Gettin' back to the THERMOQUAD!

-

64ragtop

Reaction score
I've been fussin' and messin' with the Eddy 1406 carb on my 64ragtop for way too long now. Main problem being that the kickdown rod moved UP instead of back when the throttle opened. So, slow, weak shifts and no kickdown!

I finally found that the P.O. hadn't installed the "Chrysler adaptor" called for in the Edelbrock instruction sheet that was in the trunk. Cut to the chase, I ditched the squarebore to spreadbore Carb adaptor and put a freshly built Thermoquad on the manifold of the late 70's 318 w/360 heads.

NOW, the catch is that the P.O. kluged up the throttle cable bracket to work with the narrower Eddy carb and when I tried to bend it back to align the throttle cable with the TQ linkage, the bracket broke (DAMNIT) I can probably get it welded, but with the tricks the Previous Owner pulled with his mods and upgrades and "repairs" I'm not sure just what brackets I have or need. Anyone have pics of the late 70's TQuad linkage, mainly the throttle cable bracket???

Here are pics of the carb that's SUPPOSED to go on this manifold, the restrictive carb adaptor now gracing the dusty shelf in the back of my garage, and the TQuad sitting pretty!!

Better MatchA (Medium).JPG

the adaptor (Medium).JPG

Home At Last! (Medium).JPG

Try thermoquads.com. its run by "demon sizzler" know he's on moparts, don't know if he's on here. Heard he's the "guy" about thermoquads.

Can you snap a shot of the part that broke and position it to approx. where it should be on the car/set up?

Can you snap a shot of the part that broke and position it to approx. where it should be on the car/set up?

Couldn't really do that with the "Main' bracket out, so I brought 'em both inside where I can control the photo process better.

I'm thinking that the "Main" bracket is most probably the only one that was stock on the late 70's 318. A little straightening, and rotate the top part (with the bolt) up and to the right should align the throttle cable with its' connection on the carb's throttle shaft plate, and leave the K/D rod between the carb and the throttle cable. (If I remember their positions on the engine correctly!)

The broken piece had the part to the right of the fracture bent up, putting it parallel to the bolt. I have no idea where it came from - like most of the P.O.'s additions. Lots of them have been seriously thought out, but poorly executed. I've got almost all of 'em removed, and some of them rebuilt to MY standards. God only knows what the P.O. would think of MY changes, but he took my money and lost the right to criticize (out loud, anyway) - - AND he's a thousand miles away!

'Main' Bracket (Medium).jpg

Broken Adaptor (Medium).jpg

If I'm not mistaken the second picture is the bracket to hook up cruise control. I'm not sure you need that. I used to run that same intake on a 318 with 360 heads in my Valiant.

I have some spare peices and/or full set ups. Non that seem to match the bottom photo. I'll take some snap shots if you want. There not 4bbl. parts though.

The thermoquad brackets were different from the 2bbl stuff. You'll need either the later 340 or 360 4bbl parts if you want it to look stock. Alternatively you could make your own and install a manual valve body. That way you won't need to mess with the kickdown linkage, or you could use the cable setup that I've seen advertised in some of the Mopar rags.

-
Back