Gettin tossed a bonebone

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Sometimes you get tossed a bone, get lucky in the tool world etc. So today i pull into my driveway. Its on the alley side of my property. These a black plastic case next to the trash can. I'm thinking this could be a great case for storing tools for junkyard runs. What i found inside was a lower end black n decker cordless drill 2 batteries and a charger. I took it into the shop. Quick test with my meter, the wall transforner is dead. I always save wall worts, never know when you may need one. Viola i had one with the same power requiremrnts as the bad one. Splice it all together, shrink tube it, batteries are charging now, stone dead. I bet it works just fine when they are charged up. Tossed because of a bum power supply. May not be the best drill, but i'm only out about 15 minutes of my time.

I once got a damn near full master set of stanley proto sockets, and ratchets. I found em dumped all over a 4 lane main road, felt like i was playing frogger in real life picking em up and waiting for traffic to pass lol.

Heres pix of my latest free aquisition. Share your stories.

20160727_212303.jpg

20160727_212255.jpg

LOL. I found a drill kit, complete at the thrift store, but I guess since it 'was' complete they though it was worth somethin'. I think they wanted 30-35 bucks. It was a brand name, forget what. But the batteries were DEAD. I didn't buy it, came home, looked up replacement batteries. I can buy a new drill kit complete for LESS than they wanted for the batteries, nevermind the 30 whatever bucks at the thrift.

LOL

On the other hand, I've bought "several" of the old familar Makita 9V with the hi/ lo gearshift. I bet I got at least 6, with about 4 good batteries or more, and 4 or so chargers that works. "I'll take that" lol. I even have one of the little Makita mini sawzalls someplace

I had an opposite experience yesterday. My buddy borrow my car trailer and him and I took a 68 Camero to a mans house to install a painless wiring harness in it. When we left I told him just throw the ramps on the trailer. WRONG! A woman stopped us and said hey you lost a ramp about a 1/4 mile back. Needless to say it was gone when we got back there. So now I have another one of my neighbors duplicating the one ramp I have left! Damn the bad luck!

Overhauled a waukesha 9390 natural gas engine last year, found a 2"handle 3/8 flex head snap on ratchet in the v when we yanked the exhausts. It has fast become one of my favorites.

I went for a lunch time walk at work one day. There was a nice slide hammer with a seal puller attachment laying in the rain gutter on the side of the road. It now resides in my tool box and has been used on many occasions.

I remember "helping" my Dad when I was a little tadpole and when he popped the seat out of a '51 Chev he was working on, he found a 3/8's drive Snap-on ratchet. It hung around for years and then eventually went on to its next owner.
Re:Road finds - I don't care what I think I see, I will not stop and pick up anything, on any road, anywhere. We were traveling back from somewhere in BC, Shuswap I think, and we hit a major delay in traffic flow. Turned out a lady stopped to cross traffic lanes to pick up a lawn chair (not hers) that was in the middle of the other lane. She got run over. Lesson learned.

Guys give power tools that are "busted" away all the time. I keep em. Cause the local hardware places do a milwaukee trade in deal couple times a year. Bring in a dead kit. Get 100 bucks off your new kit. $100 bucks off that I didn't spend a penny on? I'll take that deal any day that ends in Y.

a friend found a snap-on 3/8 ratchet with adjustable angle head - I talked him out of it - he's a mechanic and it would have gotten buried in his tool box and likely never used - I use that bad boy ALL the time. I have done a few rounds of "storage wars" - it's pretty rare that there isn't some tools in them - best keeper was a nice set of deep well impacts. Then there's my Ingersol Rand air compressor - a dept at work was moving and their new location had built in air so the "old" stand up air compressor wasn't needed anymore - mine.

100_3660.JPG

I occasionally post "guess what I found in the dumpster/on the side of the road" threads on FBBO.

Highlights include:

2.5x3.5' 3/16 sheet metal
Wheelbarrow
Craftsman torque wrench
Made in USA Sioux brand air DA
Working 8 track deck with 20 tapes including Boston and Ozzy
Air chisel
600 nails and screws in unopened containers
Every week for 3 months, an unopened quart of 10w or 5w 30 or 40 weight motor oil
5 gallon bucket full of sockets, ratchets and screwdrivers
100' 12ga extension cord damaged 4' from one end
100' 3/8 air hose with new couplers
Bar stock custom trailer hitch with a small bucket of hitch balls
12v pump and motor
6' of 3/8" chain and 8' of 1/4" chain
Nearly brand new HF dual telescoping 400w halogen work light (actually found two of these)
90's cavalier hood, which I'm using to practice paint and body work

I found a pancake compressor once, took in home and plugged it in and it worked, gave it to my buddy who does drywall. Found an edger that ran, a mini bike frame that I made a runner out of and a bicycle that just needed tires aired up. I think some people just get tired of having things laying around and want them gone.

-
Back