Getting a hub for my Dart...

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
I have a question. Read this and tell me if I'm not the only person that feels like this is a total load of ****... 3 months ago, 4 out of 5 lugs spun on the driver's side hub of my Dart. After a blistering 10 mph journey, I got it home where it has sat on jackstands since... Why? Because nobody carries a hub and I can't find one! :banghead:

So what do I do? I put a plea for anybody listening who posses a hub in my signature, after 2 weeks I get contacted by somebody who shant be named... He says:

Matt I have 4 new 9in Drums and new shoes and the nfront drums have the hubs in them. You can have them all for price of shipping. These were on my duster and only had 1800 miles on them and I upgraded.

I tell him, I don't really need or have the money for all that, just the hubs... He says, "ok, I'll press them out of the hubs and get a shipping quote". He gets a quote of some $15 dollars and says $34 would ship it down here. So I thought, ok $15 a piece plus tax. So I tell him, as soon as payday rolls around, I'll run over to the P.O. and get a money order (which is the payement method HE requested) and he says something along the lines of "well I know times are tuff, so just make it $25." At this point I was confused and asked how he was getting his numbers, he tells me...

No its $15 to ship two hubs and I was asking $10 eachfor hubs but justgive me $5 each for the hubs +$15 for shipping. Shoes and drums would be why more shipping.

Now wait a minute... What happened to free? So I sent him this...

Matt I have 4 new 9in Drums and new shoes and the nfront drums have the hubs in them. You can have them all for price of shipping. These were on my duster and only had 1800 miles on them and I upgraded. Dusterny
:wink:

Here is his response...

Thats befor you wanted just hubs which I had to go four miles in four wheel drive in about 0 wheather and root through a pile of stuff with car put up for winter. If you wanted all I was going to drop off at package shipping and you pay bill. Now I had to press front drums off package to save you money package up and get quote. Thats alot of work and gas to give something away for free so screw this off to the junk man they go and you can go lay in the **** someplace and get some for free and use your gas instead of mine. I never had to work so hard to give away a part. Nobody wants it all so I spend my time finding stuff and pressing it apart so you can have what you want? So for that $10 is too much? Get them some place else. From now on all is going to junk.

Now first of all, is it my fault that I didn't need 4 drums and shoes? Is it my fault he had to do all this "stuff" which really wasn't all that much work anyways, to ship the package? No!

Second of all, this is bullshit. Does anybody else feel his response was a bit out of line? Or is it just me.

Third of all, here I am after some 3 months my car still sits on jackstands in my driveway, my only transportation. Can't have a job without a car, been riding to school with my friend in his shitty Toyota, and worst of all I'm resigned to sitting and watching my p.o.s. sit and rust into an even bigger p.o.s. For god sakes, ask any close friends and they tell you I'm the biggest hard *** they know! I'm so pissed off over this crap I feel like I just want to go cry somewhere...

To make matters worse, I tried to apologize, for what I don't know, and even offered to pay him the $10 for each hub. That was quite a few days ago, he usually responds within the day. Good god! He can't even pull his head out of his *** long enough to listen to an apology, collect his money, and ship the damn parts!!!

Ok, venting session over with...

Sorry, Matt, but I can see some problems on both sides here.
Yeah, he could have explained it differently, and maybe not got so hot under the collar himself, but a lot of people have been burned recently by giving things away.

There IS a big differance between dropping off a part and pressing out the hub out, and just shipping that.

And if he were trying to sell these parts (don't think he was), having the hub(s) missing makes them less valuable.

Sorry for both of you that it didn't work out .

Sounds like alot of work to me too.

Sorry, Matt, but I can see some problems on both sides here.
Yeah, he could have explained it differently, and maybe not got so hot under the collar himself, but a lot of people have been burned recently by giving things away.

There IS a big differance between dropping off a part and pressing out the hub out, and just shipping that.

And if he were trying to sell these parts (don't think he was), having the hub(s) missing makes them less valuable.

Sorry for both of you that it didn't work out .
Well, I would certainly like to know what I did wrong other than be too poor to ship parts down here I don't even need and then ask why the price changed. Not to bust your chops or anything, I just want to know what the hell happened...

Nobody really know but you and him. I saw in your original post that you tried to contact him and apolagise, maybe he'll cool down and answer. It looks like he tried to do you a solid, and it turned into more work than he bargained for (or originally offered). Like I said before, some people are on a short fuse about offering free help. They still want to help out people when they can, but not when it is not appreciated, or the free parts are then sold. Lots of bad blood slung around and everybody suffers a little. It looks like the offense was not that you were too poor, but that when he offered the parts, you tacked on more time and work than he was willing (or able) to put into it. I don't know his situation, maybe he doesn't have much spare time, maybe his health is not great, I don't know. Just try to stay cool about it and smooth things over with the guy who wanted to help, most likely he still wants to help, he just doesn't want to be taken advantage of.

i must ask why u need "hubs" for your dart? 1. i would either tack the studs in the drum(unless they are worn really loose or 2. just buy to new front drums? why press the hub out of them...

I offered to pay him the $10 a piece when I apologized, he hasn't replied... I never said I didn't want to pay, I was just pointing out what he said.

i must ask why u need "hubs" for your dart? 1. i would either tack the studs in the drum(unless they are worn really loose or 2. just buy to new front drums? why press the hub out of them...
They are worn really loose... The holes are so walloed out I'm afraid to do that, if it's off center even a little, it'll be a bumpy ride. New drums don't come with the hubs anymore, at least not around here. My drum is not press fit with the hub either...

I would have payed the shipping and got all the parts as originally offered spare parts are all way handy to have

Well, I would certainly like to know what I did wrong other than be too poor to ship parts down here I don't even need and then ask why the price changed. Not to bust your chops or anything, I just want to know what the hell happened...

I'm betting the poor guy is wishing that he had never responded to your request at all.

My guess would be that someone pressed the studs out of the hubs at some time in the past without properly cutting the swedges, and hogged the holes out. After that, the stock studs will not fit tightly.

Like 4404spd said, take one of your studs to a parts store that has a Doman stud paper catalog and browse the pictures and specifications to find studs the right length and thread, with a little larger knurl diameter. You might be able to save that hub.

I, myself, in the past, have replaced the hubs, but that seems to be not so easy for you right now, so different studs may help.

Matt, you may not have needed all of them, but you need one now right?? Seems to me if this is your only mode of transportation, you should have at least some kind of $$ to keep your daily driver running. In other words, I would have talked to the donor and see if it was alright if you sold what you didnt need. If not then keep it all as spare parts.

BTW your buddies POS daily driver is hauling your *** around right??

I have some hubs but dont want to be drug thru the mud. Last time I pressed one out and shipped it it was worth 40. and the recipient was happy. You could have took them all and sold off the extras if they are so hard to find.I think the guy genuinely was gonna help you and you pissed him off and now dissed him in public.

I have to agree with daredevil he had to do extra work and you felt it wasnt worth 10 bucks and threw the assumption that he was ripping you off and now brought it to the public. If I was him I would not respond at all either get them some where else.

Damm I have some HERE i cant give away!!! I have to agree though It can be a hassle to ship stuff especially heavy stuff Also when your not getting much out of it And when you have to do extra work cause the guy getting the free stuff cant afford the shipping I hate when people say can you give me a quote?

The good news is, things have been worked out and I should be sending him the money for the parts soon... :glasses1:

you felt it wasnt worth 10 bucks and threw the assumption that he was ripping you off.
I never said I didn't feel it was worth the $10, I also never felt it he was ripping me off. I wanted to know why the price changed...

I have a question. Read this and tell me if I'm not the only person that feels like this is a total load of ****... 3 months ago, 4 out of 5 lugs spun on the driver's side hub of my Dart. After a blistering 10 mph journey, I got it home where it has sat on jackstands since... Why? Because nobody carries a hub and I can't find one! :banghead:

So what do I do? I put a plea for anybody listening who posses a hub in my signature, after 2 weeks I get contacted by somebody who shant be named... He says:

I tell him, I don't really need or have the money for all that, just the hubs... He says, "ok, I'll press them out of the hubs and get a shipping quote". He gets a quote of some $15 dollars and says $34 would ship it down here. So I thought, ok $15 a piece plus tax. So I tell him, as soon as payday rolls around, I'll run over to the P.O. and get a money order (which is the payement method HE requested) and he says something along the lines of "well I know times are tuff, so just make it $25." At this point I was confused and asked how he was getting his numbers, he tells me...

Now wait a minute... What happened to free? So I sent him this...

Here is his response...

Now first of all, is it my fault that I didn't need 4 drums and shoes? Is it my fault he had to do all this "stuff" which really wasn't all that much work anyways, to ship the package? No!

Second of all, this is bullshit. Does anybody else feel his response was a bit out of line? Or is it just me.

Third of all, here I am after some 3 months my car still sits on jackstands in my driveway, my only transportation. Can't have a job without a car, been riding to school with my friend in his shitty Toyota, and worst of all I'm resigned to sitting and watching my p.o.s. sit and rust into an even bigger p.o.s. For god sakes, ask any close friends and they tell you I'm the biggest hard *** they know! I'm so pissed off over this crap I feel like I just want to go cry somewhere...

To make matters worse, I tried to apologize, for what I don't know, and even offered to pay him the $10 for each hub. That was quite a few days ago, he usually responds within the day. Good god! He can't even pull his head out of his *** long enough to listen to an apology, collect his money, and ship the damn parts!!!

Ok, venting session over with...

Read through what you posted here and you will see where you say "wait a minute what happened to free" that to me sounds like you implied he was ripping you off.

-
Back