Getting Closer to the Start- '67 Barracuda "Before" shots. . .

-

Gen2Cudas

Reaction score
Morning all. Had the old girl out of the garage so that I could clean it and reorganize it for the start of this rebuild/restore/improvement I am itching to get on.

Let it run so as to circulate some corrosion proofing through the water passages and let it get to operating temperature. Figured it would do it some good when I pull the motor out to hang for a while on the stand. . .

Here is the hand I have dealt myself.

Body is rough, paint is fried. . .
moz-screenshot.jpg

'67 cuda pict 020.jpg

The thing sits and idles nicely- it was running during those pics. No leaks or major grease spots on the garage floor- but I just know what those seals will do when it is put back in full street use!

Some rust bubbles in the lower quarters and small ones on the roof next to the rear pillar areas. . .pushed in nose clip. . .bangs and ripples in each fender- it was ridden hard with no time or money way back when to get body work done- just bandage it and go! All I could do was keep it inspectable for a number of years.

Interior is worn too- and yes, that is a case full of 8-tracks for the Pioneer stereo in the dash!

'67 cuda pict 026.jpg

'67 cuda pict 027.jpg

'67 cuda pict 028.jpg

'67 cuda pict 029.jpg

'67 cuda pict 030.jpg

'67 cuda pict 031.jpg

Thanks. Yeah, it could be a beater car for a teen to drive to high school even now- but I want it to shine once again!

. . .which may make for the teen having to RIDE in the thing to school while her Dad does the driving :)

Trying to download and resize the rest of the pics. . . .

I may have gone too far in my shrinking- but can see that all the gauges are registering- except they all point to low values. I have good oil pressure and temp and such- I suspect something failed in the electronics in the dash to show low readings for everything. Vacuum is 17 at idle. . .not too bad with a 2-plane and slightly warmer bumpstick.

Like I said, lotsa ripples- and a lot to love back into shape, if I can't buy repro.. . .still working on how to put in a nice stereo that won't involve either a dummy in the dash (I got the original AM) and a stereo control in the glove box or in the console- or cutting a new repro for a modern sound system.

See enthused teen installed in the car (trial fitting number 200 plus. . .!) This is one that wants to learn how to properly get her hands dirty :)!

See ya later O V- gonna go change the oil on the wifey's Impala. . .and put that thing up on the ramps and start a thorough inspection of the underside for rust holes and such. . .start making notes. . .

. . .and no one at all from Pimp My Ride ringing the front doorbell, either.

. . .Where is Chip Foose when you need him, eh?

Mike,
Good looking project. It looks better than I had imagined - no time to start getting scared, now. You're going to find more help here than you can shake a stick at. It was great meeting you and your family.

Thanks again for lunch today,
Jerry

Mike,
Good looking project. It looks better than I had imagined - no time to start getting scared, now. You're going to find more help here than you can shake a stick at.

Morning Jerry,

You are more than welcome. Still haven't gotten under the thing- other chores intrude. How tough is it to get the undercoat off- and do you need it All Off? Me, still working on how to safely get under and have enough working room. . .and, like you said, 50 year old bones and cold concrete. Got some ideas involving jack stands and a couple of steel ramps. . .

Great day sir.

Mike

Looks like a good starting point to me. I wish mine was closer to the condition of yours. Good luck with the build!

Gen2: I'm disappointed, you don't show enough pictures! LOL!! Good luck with your project and keep the pictures coming!!!

Please, the first thing you should do .... take that gargantuan radio/bezel out ARGHHHHH! I'm assuming it was in there when it was bought, but if not no offence, good luck with the build!

Thanks Sydcudas. No offense taken at all. Actually, if you have the stomach for a confession, that radio bezel is the one that came with that Pioneer stereo- and yes, yours truly as a 19 year old did the hacking to get in on there. And the steel behind it. . .

Not to worry, I will be putting the thing back the way it was- and for the same reason you expressed that sentiment!

Nice project. The pic with the teen in the drivers seat reminds me of a line in the film Crazy Heart...
The undercoating doesn't have to come off except where repairs are needed.
To remove any or all of it is a chore. Use a heat gun to melt it some and scrape it off with a putty knife. Drag a cement block in a roaster pan around with you to rake the putty knife off. Have fun.

I just added an 8-track. You may be too young to have been implanted with the 8-track bug. The horrible sound quality, the clunk of tracks changing, the snarl of a FUBAR tape, the knowledge of just what is playing on four simultaneous programs. I remember messing up some dashboards early on. My new Sparkomatic is mounted under the dash.

You have a very nice base to start from. I started to drool when I saw the tachometer in the instrument cluster. Mine never had one but I would like to put one in the stock location, rather than having to sit one on the dash.

-
Back