getting heat to work on 72 dart

-

keelhaul21

Reaction score
I've got a 72 dart 318, it had ac but the ac was remove by the prev. owner. When I first had the car the heat worked fine, but after me fiddling all over the engine bay one of the 2 vac line that comes through at the pass side of the fire wall came undone, it was the one that went to one of the heater lines. When I tried to reconnect it the other line cam undone, it went to the vac canister. I had to take out my glove box to get to both of them under the dash. I managed to get them hooked back in the proper order, but I still don't get heat. The blower fan turns on when I depress the heat button, but I don't get defrost. I have a factory service manual for 73 cars but it says that year dart used cabel op. heater control. Any body have any tips on how to fix this, as I don't want to go through the winter with out heat.

I have a 72 w a/c, is the evaporator box still under the dash? My controls are vacuum and when I first hooked up all the lines no defrost, I had the wrong line
(the two that go thru the firewall) hooked to vacuum, switched them and the defrost works now. There is a canister on the fender well that is for taking moisture out of the lines, vacuum goes to it first then to the control in the dash. The other goes to the control valve in the heater hose line, the smaller of the two hoses. If your evaporator box is still under the dash check for a piece of linkage that may have come loose you can see it approx middle of box goes straight up works with the defrost. Also check you defrost tubes up to the vents in the dash,mine fell off often, they need to be clamped.
Hope this helps, you can PM me if you need more help.
Bruce

Alright, I'll try swicthiin the vac lines, and duble checking all the linkages. I'll let you know what I find.

Well, it turns out that I had the vac lines crossed, and it turned out that the water valve on the heater hose was leaking, but luckly I had one on the parts car. Thanks for your help.

-
Back