Getting rid of 90 degree oil adapter

-

river rat

Reaction score
Dont' really need the 90 degree oil filter adapter anymore and was thinking of ditching it. Anyone know a place i can find the plate and bolt needed to go directly onto the block?

I think you can pull the filter thread-on from the adapter and put it in the block. Confirm, anyone? When you do pull the adapter off, be sure to get the gasket that seals it to the block. Otherwise the filter will not seat properly.

I thought there was some type of plate that got installed in place of the adapter?

you will have to use short filter as long one will hit the frame

You can see my black Wix filter on my small block. You do need a special ring plate and that threaded piece that screws into the block. See if Mancini racing sells it. I know they sell the 90 degree adapter.

Attachments

• IMG00609-20110428-0020.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 332
You can see my black Wix filter on my small block. You do need a special ring plate and that threaded piece that screws into the block. See if Mancini racing sells it. I know they sell the 90 degree adapter.

I checked their site, but did not see anything listed.

Any 318 you can get the plate and the double end threaded piece, you need i believe a 3/8 allen to take the threaded peice off, then the plate comes off there should be a gasket between the block and plate, you may need a pipe extension to get the threaded peice off..

You need just a short 3/8" extension on a 3/8" rachet to remove it or put it on. You will probably need to source a donor block or I will see if I have one on another block and offer it up a cheap price.

I have one that I will swap for your 90* if it is aluminum. Each pays their own shipping. PM me if interested.

hey, i just got done painting the duster, so ill have to wait till tommorow to check, but i believe i have my old one sitting on the shelf with the little thread piece too. i had to remove it to put on a 90 degree one. just pay 5 bucks shipping on it and you can have it. i have both pieces you need, and may even have a new gasket with it!

They are attached several different ways over the years. It is a plate with 4 holes that is held om by a adapter that is threaded on both sides. The gasket is onE piece a large ring and a small rin held together with three fingers.

There are to different types of plates one for a newer post magnum and earlier. The difference is the step of the two gasket surfaces. The early are offset and the later are on the same plane no offset.

the Resto and R3 blocks take the post magnum style. All LA 318,340,360 take the offset Style. One reason you cannot install the early 90 on the later motors.

When ever instalilng a plate in place of a 90 early or late make sure you open up the for holes to except the flow for a high volume pump. They are not opened up from the factory. All 90's cast and aluminum eary and late will except the flow. the early and late plates will not.

Do not drill them you will get into the filter gasket surface with the corrrect diameter tool. A mill you can move the hole without walk.

I have two of them if needed, factory and opened up. $30.00 shipped with the Attacment adapter your choice. Some take an Allen , some a 3/8 extension, and some a socket,

In the pics bellow you can see they are milled at a 90.The holes are in the bevel but are milled at a 90 to the gasket surface. I do have what ever you need. Later plates have more holes. Steve

Attachments

• DSCF2681.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 298
That plate above is what you need. Any of them off a SB will work.

I drill 4 more holes in the plate in between the current holes. Sort of what Steve did to open up his plate. I use the same bit and do 4 holes and open up the 4 existing ones a bit larger.

I have drilled mine out on a few engines like Cracked is saying with a Hand Drill adding the 4 new holes and enlarging the factory 4 so a total of 8 Holes. None have ever leaked and I did not use a mill. FWIW.

will the plate and oil filter work with tti headers ?
Nope on their step down small block headers you will need the 90 degree adapter. I am pretty sure that's in one of their footnotes on their site. I ran them with my 340 in the Dart.

will the plate and oil filter work with tti headers ?

Regular filter set up works FINE with the step 1 5/8-1 3/4 headers. even the big tube tti stuff can use the regular filter plate.

Use a shorty filter

ABJ's engine
5-17-05002.jpg

I have run into a problem in the past with drilling Extra 4 holes . It weakens the plate and causes it to push away from the outer gasket. This only happened at extreme RPM's but what a mess. You shouldn't have a problem doing the 8 holes on mild loose high volume low pressure motors???? I won't try it again. When ever you tighten this plate up the center is away and you pull it against with the adapter to seal the outer gasket first. When you loosen it it comes back away retrurning to its original shape and offset. With the 8 holes you will find you lose that offset after it is tightened and loosened. Just what I have seen after doing several on alot of motors. There is a reason for milling them but I am sure some would disagree. So we will leave that open for choice. You all can do what ever you want I am only telling you what I do and it works fine at up to 9000 RPM's. I use a remote off of a Modified 5 hole plate. Remember that center adapter holds the outer rim of the plate The filter looks like it does but it don't. It will fail sooner or later in certain motor applications . depending on Filter or oil viscosity. I only use Wicks race filters or NAPA Gold. 10w40 with zinc additive. I also drill pump and all passages to 1/2 dia. in block.

The use of a thinner gasket instead of the Cork should fix the problem you are talking about. The center of the plate will not move away from that area. FWIW

Not many around here Rev their SBM to 8 or 9K..... Awesome that some can!

The use of a thinner gasket instead of the Cork should fix the problem you are talking about. The center of the plate will not move away from that area. FWIW

The correct gasket for the plate is one piece. They do have two piece same thicknees from felpro though. The cork is part of the 3 piece kit for the 90 adapter They are geting hard to find unless ordered.

The thick cork is part of the 3 piece kit for the 90 adpter. The plate takes one piece or two piece same thicness. Inner and outer. The one piece is both inner and outer connected by three fingers.

I usually make those gaskets myself out of gasket stock. You can make quite a few gaskets out of a package of gasket material for how much those kits cost with shipping. Takes a couple minutes is all. Just another way to skin a cat. Napa has the gasket material.

-
Back