Getting rid of the Musty Smell

-

SwingerDeluxe

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting new seat covers and have a musty smell from the old padding. The upholstering man told me to get a product called SCOL. Spray it on the frame of the seats after the old padding is removed. Suppose to be good stuff but I tried Google search and nothing comes up. Any suggestions from the experts? Thanks!

Febreeze frebreeze whatever its spelt. The odor is in the filler not on the steel. Where the seats have layered batting I cut out the stays or ticks and seperate the layers , spray, and restack.

Are the seats still in the car? how about the stuff u put in the fridge baking powder/soda don't know just a thought!

I have tried the baking soda and dyer sheets. They worked some but the smell is still there. The seats are still in the car; I'll be removing them soon.

Is the carpet out or new? If not it might be th carpet.The best way is to get the smell out is to get them out in the sun. Hard to do in the winter. Also if you have the seats torn all the way down,blast and respray the seat frames.Fresh paint will smell better than musty.Combined with new foam and covers you'll have anew car smell goin.

Thanks! I am planning to remove the old seat covers and pad and will paint frames. There isn't any carpet in ths model, just the cheaper rubber/vinyl floor covering.

I also keep a couple mess bags of charcoal under the seats all of the time. Seems to keep the car from smelling musty. I change them with fressh stuff every couple months.

Do you crush up the charcoal or just use it out of the bag? That's an idea I never thought of. Mine has that "vintage car smell" and I would like to freshen it up as well.

want that new int smell.go to your local carpet store ,get some vinyl pieces left over from a jod cut them up and slide them under your seats.It workes.Trust me i am a flooring installer.That musty smell is likly in your insulation under the rubber floor mat.rip it out paint your floor,new carpet.Thats what i would do.

You just toss the full pieces into the mesh bag and it really works well, no need to crush them and deal with the mess.

Thanks for allot of good advice! I will remove the old insulation under the floor mat, paint and install new carpet. Remove the old seat covers and padding and paint the frames. I'll have to try the charcoal!

-
Back