Getting wipers to park

-

TheBigE

70 Duster - Slant 6
Reaction score
Hi gang.

I kinda got my windshield wipers to work today. I'm not sure why the connectors on the back of the switch for my 70 Duster don't seem to fit nicely but with some tinkering they now do this:

Low speed -fine
Hi speed - fine

They 'park' in the middle of the windshield though when I turn the switch off. Is this something that can be fixed/adjusted in the motor or is the motor history?

Or is it something in the switch? Is the park feature controlled by that ballast resistor on the wiper motor?

Not a super major problem if I can't get it fixed perfectly, but nice to have.

Thanks for any and all help.

The Big E
PS. I can't get any of the 6 terminals in the back of the switch to power up when I push the switch in(which I think then powers the electric washer pump). I'm thinking of getting this to work over the footpump. SHould even the 70 DUster switch with the footpump have something power up when the washer knob is pushed in??

Turn your wipers off,before turning car off.That way they,ll be seated.Big E,it,s been awhile since you,ve had an old car.Eh!!LOL!!

It has been a while!!!! About 5.5 years between the 68 CHarger and 70 Duster.

But I'm just turning the wipers off at the switch, and leaving the key on still so it has power at the switch still.

Big E

The park switch is mounted on the wipers gear box ( 2 wires on on a board ).
It may be broken internally but before you open it, make sure the wiper switch itself is grounded to the dash and check the ground strap to firewall at the gearbox.

I had the same problem and it wound up being that the wiper switch in the dash was not fully grounded. Once the switch was tightened up in the dash real good my wipers worked perfectly.

Thanks for the grounding info. I`ll definitely check that out. My wiper switch is super loose. The lock nut is not holding the switch tight and is seized up so I have to get it tight and see what happens.

The Big E

-
Back