Gig? A Lot? What's Enough?

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Recently, we switched to fios for our internet. The fios rep sold my wife 1 gig. I don't know anything about this gig stuff, but I'm willing to bet 1 is more than we need. It's just me and my wife, we have 2 phones, 2 chromebooks, and an I-Pad. As soon as the rep heard that, she said we need a gig. But we can only use 2 at a time. Maybe I'll be watching a video, and she'll be playing a game. Other than that, we're on the net or texting.

I can't find a useful explanation of this gig stuff anywhere, and of course, on the fios site, I can't even find an offer of any gigs, let alone less gigs. (Or whatever you call it.)

Anyone know if we need a gig, and is it a lot?

We had crumcast, I mean comcast. We cut the cable tv a while ago, and now we got rid of crumcast entirely!! YEA! I can't stand crumcast!!!!! Where we live, there are few options. The fios just came through here, and not the tv aspect.

Side note: I intentionally did not capitalize comcast, crumcast or fios. It all sucks!

"You don't need gigabit internet if all you do is check email and post on social media. You probably don't even need gigabit internet if four people live in your household. A gigabit connection is ideal if you work from home and download huge files, run a public web server, or livestream your gameplay to Twitch." We have a Gigabyte but my youngest play's some pretty sophisticated online games. If it wasn't for that I could get by with a smaller cheaper plan.

Recently, we switched to fios for our internet. The fios rep sold my wife 1 gig. I don't know anything about this gig stuff, but I'm willing to bet 1 is more than we need. It's just me and my wife, we have 2 phones, 2 chromebooks, and an I-Pad. As soon as the rep heard that, she said we need a gig. But we can only use 2 at a time. Maybe I'll be watching a video, and she'll be playing a game. Other than that, we're on the net or texting.

I can't find a useful explanation of this gig stuff anywhere, and of course, on the fios site, I can't even find an offer of any gigs, let alone less gigs. (Or whatever you call it.)

Anyone know if we need a gig, and is it a lot?

We had crumcast, I mean comcast. We cut the cable tv a while ago, and now we got rid of crumcast entirely!! YEA! I can't stand crumcast!!!!! Where we live, there are few options. The fios just came through here, and not the tv aspect.

Side note: I intentionally did not capitalize comcast, crumcast or fios. It all sucks!

I have 10Mb DSL out in the country and we get by just fine. We stream music, 4 people in the house with phones, roku devices etc. It's not perfect but we get through the day just fine. My kids game, chat, watch videos etc.

They sold your wife a lie.

To frame things I'm an IT pro, been one for three decades. Could I use faster? Sure, but my family would likely never know the difference.

I have a gig tonight for Patty’s day, and one tomorrow night for a private function, and I had one last weekend for a big charity event. So far, that’s 3 gigs, not enough IMO! :)

We have 1gig links between our lager remote sites at work. Those links support hundreds of people pushing files all day long.

You should be fine for a couple computers at home. That is unless you have a bunch of kids (we refer to them as interns) streaming 4k video and playing video games all day long.

a Gig is 1000 Mb...25M is a 4K stream, an HD stream is 3M...per screen. Your router cannot push 1Gb to any wireless device as there is about an 800M limit on todays wifi short of huge MiMo routers. We sell 500M, 1Gb, 2Gb and now 5Gb fiber but no one short of video editing people could utilize over 500Mb IMHO. Imagine an 8" 125 psi water main feeding your house. Are you ever going to fully utilize an 8" mains capacity? That's a NO. Then ask yourself do you have the ability to utilize an 8" main (fiber capacity) past a 4" valve (router)? Still a NO. You were sold a premium product with a base (500M) requirement for $10 over base. 5G is about $165 and 1 6e router can use it.

To be fare, if I could get GB for the price my older kids get it, I would since it's 10 less than what I pay around here for DSL.

Thanks everybody. I'll try to figure out what fios offers that is less than a gig. The main thing is, as I thought, we got sold more than we need. Like I said, it's just me and my wife. :thankyou:

All of that bit, byte, mb, gb stuff is greek to me.

-
Back