Give me an education about this "PIRATE SHIP" method that has been discussed here.

-
NO!!!
You can insure it for any amount you wish (I've gone up to $2200). You just need to specify how much insurance coverage you want and pay the nominal extra amount.
Look under Extra Services.
oh! i stand corrected, thanks for the clarification L

in my defense, i've never used their "extra services" and anything i sell and ship over $150 rides FedEx with full boat insurance and delivery signature.

but the point still stands, that if you have a problem and need to make a shipping claim, it's all done via e-mail. which is an arduous process.

Real life feedback showing the Pirates saved Wayne a lot of booty!!!

Screenshot_20231214-152907.png

I'm kind of surprised no other customers have said how the experience itself varies from the dry, impersonal service we've all gotten way too used to when sending packages and even envelopes.

I sign in and am greeted with "Ahoy Captain Leanna!"

They'll tell you pirate jokes while you wait for Tech to answer your question. There's an interactive app on the site that will Teach You How To Talk Like A Pirate. Even their commercials are funny!

For the two minutes it took to create an account, I'm only sad it took me so long to find them (they've been open since 2014!!) ... and it's @SSVDP my customers have to thank! In 33 shipments over the last several months, they've saved you guys over $400!!!!

Arggghhhhh mateys! What're ya waitin' for, a serving wench to dish it up??

tavern_wench_by_rd3dindustries_dbh4ugn-fullview-4058714796.png

oh! i stand corrected, thanks for the clarification L

in my defense, i've never used their "extra services" and anything i sell and ship over $150 rides FedEx with full boat insurance and delivery signature.

but the point still stands, that if you have a problem and need to make a shipping claim, it's all done via e-mail. which is an arduous process.

I've only had a couple claims and neither were processed through pirateship. Those, one through FedEx and the other a total cluster-uck through International Priority Mail, were also both "ardously processed through email" including formal demand letters. Both resulted in successful full payments.

I've only had a couple claims and neither were processed through pirateship. Those, one through FedEx and the other a total cluster-uck through International Priority Mail, were also both "ardously processed through email" including formal demand letters. Both resulted in successful full payments.
yeah it seems like when dealing with damaged shipments "arduous process" seems to be the rule, not the exception.

and forget anything "international". i sent a vintage motorcycle carb up to vancouver bc and you'd think that by the forms i had to fill out i was shipping uranium. then the fed-ex ding-a-lings smashed the thing like a pancake and had the audacity to say that it was like that when it shipped.

lots of emails, pictures, attachments, and phone time to make my customer whole again. and this was after i specifically went to a "fed-ex office & ship" and paid them to pack it, paid them to insure it and ship it.

no international shipping ever again. and fedex claim can die in a tire fire.

zero problems with the 2 or 3 claims that i've had in the literal 100's of packages i've shipped thru pirate. some minor hoop jumping, while irritating nothing like the cluster of anybody else.

View attachment 1716183928

I'm kind of surprised no other customers have said how the experience itself varies from the dry, impersonal service we've all gotten way too used to when sending packages and even envelopes.

They'll tell you pirate jokes while you wait for Tech to answer your question. There's an interactive app on the site that will Teach You How To Talk Like A Pirate. Even their commercials are funny!

For the two minutes it took to create an account, I'm only sad it took me so long to find them (they've been open since 2014!!) ... and it's @SSVDP my customers have to thank! In 33 shipments over the last several months, they've saved you guys over $400!!!!

View attachment 1716183929

I’m getting old and may have missed something but didn’t you tell me I couldn’t use it in a past post.

I just finished up using the Pirate Ship agent for the first time, sending out a 26 pound package to my buyer, for a pair of lower control arms that i rebuild and sell.
Printed out the shipping label, paid for with my Pay Pal account, and everything went so super smoothly, i am totally impressed with doing shipping by this firm.
Thank you everybody, that replied, posted comments, in this thread that i started.
This forum is the best.

Last edited:
You've never had a to file a claim with the USPS?
I hope you never do.
They are a bear to deal with. You have to prove the value of the thing your filing the claim for. It doesn't matter if you buy $1000 of insurance, you have to be able to prove that's what that thing is worth.
For example, you send out a set of valve covers that you powder coated. You buy $1000 insurance policy.
They get lost or damaged, you the shipper must file the claim, not the receiver. Now, you have the obligation to prove that the valve covers are worth the $1000. Problem is, it doesn't matter that you just did $500 worth of work on a $500 set of covers, the covers retail for $500 and that is all you will get. Oh, you mentioned to the clerk they came to you to be powder coated? They must have been used. Well, that means that they have depreciated in value. Now, you need to prove the value of used covers. Come back with an estimate, they found a cheap pair for $25 on ebay. Guess what they'll pay you? On top of that, you will fight tooth and nail to get that paid out.
I saw this play out way to many times.

You've never had a to file a claim with the USPS?
I hope you never do.
They are a bear to deal with. You have to prove the value of the thing your filing the claim for. It doesn't matter if you buy $1000 of insurance, you have to be able to prove that's what that thing is worth.
For example, you send out a set of valve covers that you powder coated. You buy $1000 insurance policy.
They get lost or damaged, you the shipper must file the claim, not the receiver. Now, you have the obligation to prove that the valve covers are worth the $1000. Problem is, it doesn't matter that you just did $500 worth of work on a $500 set of covers, the covers retail for $500 and that is all you will get. Oh, you mentioned to the clerk they came to you to be powder coated? They must have been used. Well, that means that they have depreciated in value. Now, you need to prove the value of used covers. Come back with an estimate, they found a cheap pair for $25 on ebay. Guess what they'll pay you? On top of that, you will fight tooth and nail to get that paid out.
I saw this play out way to many times.

Maybe a couple decades working for law firms helped. Your blatantly hostile honesty can sometimes bring positive results when adverse things happen, but good documentation and and a lot of tact work for me. Here's what I said about shipping a manifold recently, and my own claim filing horror stories. Both customers were VERY well compensated and made completely whole.

shipping a manifold

Maybe a couple decades working for law firms helped. Your blatantly hostile honesty can sometimes bring positive results when adverse things happen, but good documentation and and a lot of tact work for me. Here's what I said about shipping a manifold recently, and my own claim filing horror stories. Both customers were VERY well compensated and made completely whole.

shipping a manifold
When I worked for the Post Office, it was never the clerks or even the management at the particular Post Office that would do this.
It always came from higher up.
I do know that the 1st mention of an attorney and we were to end all communication. Let the attorneys sort it out.
I always thought it was a bullshit thing to do to person who thought they would be covered if there was a problem.
Having said that, I can't tell you how many times I saw someone stick something straight into a box and ship it. No packaging, bubble wrap, nothing. People seem to have this vision of their package being gently carried every step of the way. Those packages fall off a conveyor into a sorting machine and everything behind it falls on top of it. I've see hundreds of smashed boxes show up in the morning from the plant. All easy to prevent if the shipper would have packed their boxes better. In the end, we're the face the receiver sees at the end, so guess who got all of the grief for it.

View attachment 1716183928

View attachment 1716183929
Well shiver me booty!

Argh... Been using Pirate Ship for a couple years now.
Consistently lower cost than going to UPS or USPS websites direct.

But then I recently signed up for a UPS shipping account and have on occasion gotten a better rate from UPS using my UPS account than using Pirate Ship.
That has only been the case one or two times and has only been a couple bucks... but a couple bucks is a couple bucks.

You can create your own Free UPS Shipping Account here: Open a UPS Shipping Account

1704350583266.png

And now i get to drop off my packages at a UPS store, pretty close to my neighborhood, up the street from me.
And there is quite a nice Q T Pie, behind the counter, for her customers.
Everything's working out nicely, for this old man. lol

And now i get to drop off my packages at a UPS store, pretty close to my neighborhood, up the street from me.
And there is quite a nice Q T Pie, behind the counter, for her customers.
Everything's working out nicely, for this old man. lol

With UPS shipments, you can just hand them off to any driver. An intake just arrived and I handed him an air cleaner. Didn't have to even leave the shop.
FedEx will not permit that.

It sounds like it's working out as well for you as it has for me. Happy to hear it!!

The other day I saw a documentary on how ships were held together...

It was riveting....

NO!!!
You can insure it for any amount you wish (I've gone up to $2200). You just need to specify how much insurance coverage you want and pay the nominal extra amount.

The maximum value Pirate Ship will let you insure a package for is $5000, and any package insured over $1000 requires an adult signature to be received.

I just sent a set of aluminum AMC cylinder heads from Indiana to Jacksonville, FL residence with $1300 insurance per package and it cost me $44.29 per box.

The boxes were 25" x 10" x 8" and weighed 32 lbs. each. UPS wanted $97.00 each and FedEx wanted $108.00 each. I have had accounts with both of them for years, but

no longer see any reason to use either account.

Tom

I suppose that i could ask this question over on the Pirate Ship web site page, but i figured maybe i could ask on this site if anyone's done it.

Lets say that i want to purchase some heavy brake or suspension parts from a member on this forum, can i create a shipping label, pay for it, and have that guy UPS the package(s) to me, if i e mail, or regular mail the shipping tag to him?

Anyone here ever do anything like that?
Would save me, a buyer, a bunch of money, too, if i want to purchase something off this site.
Thank's for reading.
Jim V.
hemi71x

You can absolutely do that. I've sent labels to people I've bought items from for years. I just print the labels out and then scan them into an email.

Tom

I don't see why that wouldn't work. You'd just have to drill it into the sellers head that the dimensions of the boxes and weight be what the label was purchased for. I shipped those 4" brakes I asked you about thru Pirates for half what UPS and USPS wanted. I made my own boxes, and just made dang sure they were the same size because I needed 2 labels.

I just signed up and sent out my first package. I'm stoked. I have been losing probably around 50% of my sales due to stupid high shipping cost. I've had a FedEx account for 20 years but I'm not a high volume shipper so I only get like 10% off. Pirate Ship was almost half with UPS.

-
Back