Giving up on a project.

-
No matter what it looks like, if you can drive it get it in your wedding and definitely at least one picture with you and your bride all dressed up. You won't regret it years from now.

No matter what it looks like, if you can drive it get it in your wedding and definitely at least one picture with you and your bride all dressed up. You won't regret it years from now.

It doesn’t look likely at this point. The wedding is next weekend and it’s still getting the alignment done. When it gets out of that shop it still needs exhaust and I need to wire up the gauges.

Bolt up some collector mufflers on it. You don't need gauges to get it to the reception, just for pictures. I hope you can figure a way to get it there. Congratulations in advance.

Bolt up some collector mufflers on it. You don't need gauges to get it to the reception, just for pictures. I hope you can figure a way to get it there. Congratulations in advance.

It is about an hour drive in that car. Running a 4000 rpm stall, I’d like to have a trans temp gauge and oil pressure gauge at least lol

In 2017 I ruined a main bearing. While the motor was out I decided to rebuild the transmission and switch the drum brakes to disc brakes. At the time I was single and had friends around to help so everything went great until last year. My friends got busy, I got engaged, and I bought a house. Between working on the house and preparing for a wedding I haven’t had a single afternoon free in months. Engine is back in the car, transmission is back in, brakes are mounted but it has no plumbing. I made the call this morning to a friend to see if he has room in his shop to knock it out. This may not seem like a big deal but I wrestled with this for months, I haven’t had anyone else touch this car in 10 years without me there. I hate taking half finished stuff to anyone but it’s killing me to have the car sitting and not getting attention. I don’t really know why I’m making this post but this is the hardest decision I’ve made in the 15 years I’ve owned the car.

sometimes I wish I could do what you are thinking of doing but I can’t. I’m just to stubborn to let someone touch my junk. It’s bad enough I won’t let them touch my engines, transmissions, race car but I need front brakes on my 3/4 ton diesel truck, bathtub faucets, etc. it will probably get to the point where it will force me to give up racing. It hurts to see the writing on the wall.

sometimes I wish I could do what you are thinking of doing but I can’t. I’m just to stubborn to let someone touch my junk. It’s bad enough I won’t let them touch my engines, transmissions, race car but I need front brakes on my 3/4 ton diesel truck, bathtub faucets, etc. it will probably get to the point where it will force me to give up racing. It hurts to see the writing on the wall.

I did hvac and plumbing for a few years in my 20s. There isn’t much in my house that can break that I can’t have fixed in an afternoon. I’ve fought with broken bolts longer than it takes me to change a water heater. That’s the problem I got into. The final straw for me was the junction of the hard line and the brake hose on the front brakes. I fought that thing for hours and finally just said I’m done. Pure defeat.

I had a friend call me last night on the way to church community group and wanted me to set up a set of valve springs for a friend of mine. I was actually driving through a bad storm with tornado warnings so I told him to call me today. I thought about it and decided to say no as I don’t even want to work on my own junk. I moved everything in my shop to get a valve seat machine and it would take me an hour to rearrange everything to do a freebie job. I gotta learn to say that more often.

I hear you guys on all of that. You want to help your friends, but can't seem to make time for your own stuff...
Pittsburgracer, what's your diesel truck? I've had mine, 99 2500 Cummins (with a Dodge wrapped around it) quad cab, 4x4 long bed, auto since 05/01. Like doogievlg, it ain't going anywhere. :usflag:

I hear you guys on all of that. You want to help your friends, but can't seem to make time for your own stuff...
Pittsburgracer, what's your diesel truck? I've had mine, 99 2500 Cummins (with a Dodge wrapped around it) quad cab, 4x4 long bed, auto since 05/01. Like doogievlg, it ain't going anywhere. :usflag:

I bought a 2006 back in 2010 with around 65000 my les on it. I think I’m up to around 92000 miles now.
39D9FF6B-E1BE-455E-8AFE-78162283B0EB.jpeg
06D56C65-F0DC-438E-8C17-A39CD65DFB09.jpeg

I did hvac and plumbing for a few years in my 20s. There isn’t much in my house that can break that I can’t have fixed in an afternoon. I’ve fought with broken bolts longer than it takes me to change a water heater. That’s the problem I got into. The final straw for me was the junction of the hard line and the brake hose on the front brakes. I fought that thing for hours and finally just said I’m done. Pure defeat.

done all 0f that w/ no defeat ----------youuu caaannn dooooo it !

No car, or truck, like a MoPar! :thumbsup:
Good looking truck.
Are you a Turbo Diesel Register member?
Got my 99 in 05/01 with 75k, has 258k now.
View attachment 1715795867

Nice truck. No I’m not on that website. I have a love hate relationship with my truck. I love how it tows and I’ve never had anything that tows better. But I hate the bumpy, firm ride that it has. I also hate driving it through town. I live outside a one red light town so everywhere I go I have to drive through it. The telephone poles are right up against the road and parking is allowed on the other side side. I know I cheat over a little bit but damn some people can’t drive worth crap and really cheat over, and not at the 25 mph speed limit. Then you have the guys that flip out their “tow mirrors” when not towing and WOW!!! It gets tight. 90% of the time I try to drive my 2003 Chevy Malibu that I bought from moms estate when she passed away.

I was always being approached with "side work" that I really didn't have time for and peoples cars would be at my garage two weeks to a month...i had to pull the plug on that...it didn't pay either, parts are expensive, and they wanna ***** like you are the neighborhood mechanic shop also...

Same experience. What really turns me off to doing this in the current climate is liability. I had more than one case with "you changed my headlight and my front wheel fell off...it must have been something you did". I don't need somebody's lawyer looking to get him and his client rich from a $20 part I installed that failed.

-
Back