Glass Packs

-

Torrance1

Reaction score
I'm ready to install mufflers on my 74 Dart, 318
has anyone installed the Cherry Bomb glass pack ?
any problems with running them?
Where in the exhaust did you place them.
there part No. 87507CB
Best
Dave

I have run them, nice straight thru mufflers, but you will probably need 2 per side. One to replace the muffler and one at the back as a resonator.

Never ran em, but heard many stories from back in day... some guys used to ( for whatever reason) get em hot and shove a garden hose in em.... something about blowing out what little sound deadening packing, and making em louder.... if that is possible...

Thanks for your input.
I'm not set on using them, like many things
on cars, it not like trying on a new suit
once you install it, your done...$$$$
Probably should bite the bullet and ask
a muffler shop what they think..
Nothing to do with Covid,but we've had
3 shops close in 2019... within about 3 miles
of my house...
Take care
Best

Wow! That sucks! All the old school guys, that actually have the WILL AND TALENT to work on our cars are fading... Bro, Glass Paks are cool... and they are affordable. Here's whati I did last year. I went to an Exhaust Wholesale Warehouse, called first... when I got there, the guys in back had no clue, and said " we don't sell to the public!" I told them I called the office. Got Flowmaster 40s, for 75 bucks ea,.along with 2 1/2" pipe ( Stock), badass hangers and clamps... about 220 bucks... that said, the Summit Exhaust kits are a good deal, cause they have the bent pipes over rear axle.. the guys I was referring to back in the day,ran glass right off the Headers lol, Best wishes

Last edited:
Had them on my Roadrunner for about a week back in like 73. Not a nice sound in my opinion. Makes your car sound like a Harley.

Thanks for your input.
I'm not set on using them, like many things
on cars, it not like trying on a new suit
once you install it, your done...$$$$
Probably should bite the bullet and ask
a muffler shop what they think..
Nothing to do with Covid,but we've had
3 shops close in 2019... within about 3 miles
of my house...
Take care
Best
If you go to a muffler shop, try and consult with the oldest guy there, otherwise your car may come out sounding like a mosquito.:mad:

Cherry bombs!
Thrush mufflers!
A blast from the past.
Great times.

I sold a lot of them!

Capture esco.png

Glass packs are for roached out shitty Chevy trucks. By a muffler, Dynomax Super Turbos if you want to hear yourself think but be noticed or for more free flowing UltraFlows. Magnaflows are ok. No to any "chambered" muffler too.

Glass packs are for roached out shitty Chevy trucks. By a muffler, Dynomax Super Turbos if you want to hear yourself think but be noticed or for more free flowing UltraFlows. Magnaflows are ok. No to any "chambered" muffler too.
I agree to that. Maybe some folks like " Ground Pounding Sound"? Possibly some folks have a limited cash flow, and just wanna close up a chapter of their build? That being said, it's nice to hear your mill, when ya get older... instead of the Much-loved sound of a Mopar THUMPING! There are better performers, that allow you to " hear" your engine, these days...

Cherry bombs are too loud IMO but I suppose back in the day it was legal versus running straight pipes with no muffler. Id Run a Turbo, Flowmster "Walker Dynamax etc. But that is my preference. If I remember correctly those glass packs end up burning out the glass filler and end up essentially as a resonator. On a car with catylitic converters they run quieter because the CAT serves somewhat as a muffler also. As previousl;y mentioned yes you hear them on ratty old pickups,and they sound like chit. Ever her a loud old truck? it doesnt sound like a performance engine at all LOL!

I had Thrush back in the 70's on my 340 cuda and the police loved them as much as I did, that's why (well one of the reasons) they would pull me over. My present cuda 340 has what looks like Cherry Bombs from 40 years ago as I haven't replaced them and the guy I bought the car from 11 years ago said they were on it when he bought it.

You will not like "Cherry Bombs". Loud, droney, popping, raspy sound. If you really want it loud, deep, and smooth-sounding at the same time? Get these Borla Pro-XS mufflers. Put them on my Dart and it sounds great (to me anyway).
bor-40659.jpg

I had Thrush turbo header mufflers on a car once. They had a 4 bolt flange and bolted right to the header flange. I haven't seen them since...this was back in 1988.

Because they sucked?
No, I don't think its that, its probably more with the flow of the exhaust, you'd want the muffler back further than right at the header flange. In the case of short wheel base like a T bucket or street rod you may not have a choice.

We ran a lot of cherry bombs back in the day, but as mentioned they're not a great performance muffler the inner tube is usually somewhere around 2 in and more restrictive than you think, cyclone purple hornies bolted right to the flange they were also a class pack style and sounded the best of those type of mufflers. I would go to a turbo style over a glass pack if budget is your concern you still get a nice tone but better performance. Two chamber mufflers have gone down in price such as summit brand and are a good option for a performance sounding muffler.

Back when I worked at a muffler shop, we sold a lot of glass packs...or so the customers thought. The owner refused to install them. What people got was a Walker Tuff Turbo. They look exactly like a glass pack on the outside but they are baffled on the inside. They sound decent.(at least I remember them sounding decent 20 years ago)

Back when I worked at a muffler shop, we sold a lot of glass packs...or so the customers thought. The owner refused to install them. What people got was a Walker Tuff Turbo. They look exactly like a glass pack on the outside but they are baffled on the inside. They sound decent.(at least I remember them sounding decent 20 years ago)
:lol: That Rob is a trickster!

When I first bought my ‘73 Cuda, those round Thrush mufflers were the only sound deadener on the exhaust system placed at the rear of the car at the rear valance exit.
1E289ECD-C008-46C9-A3F6-548321CDE35B.jpeg

-
Back