Glove Box Light

-

Demon_Jeff_71

Banned
Reaction score
I am installing a glove box light that I got out of a 68 Dart 4 door into my 71 Demon. All the mounting hardware looks the same but I am not finding and not exactly sure where the bullet plug goes into. The wire on the end of the glove box light is really short only about 1.5 to 2 inches so there is a limited amount of space it could go to. Also I am looking for the ash tray light for my car that would fit. I appreciate the help.

Jeff

Can't tell you about a '71, but on '73, '74, and '76 I have worked on the plunger switch is mounted in a hole just to the right of the glove box liner, so the door pushes on it when closed.

Can't tell you about a '71, but on '73, '74, and '76 I have worked on the plunger switch is mounted in a hole just to the right of the glove box liner, so the door pushes on it when closed.

Yeah I know where the switch is but the wire going to the plunger switch to power it is what I am looking for. It should be the same on the later models also. I am not sure though. But I am looking to where the wire is to power that switch or if there is a factory splice in it somewhere or what not.

Thanks
Jeff

I never found the splice point (71 Duster also)...Just ended up splicing it into the cigar lighter.

You may be looking for a 20 ga. pink single wire with a round bullet-style terminal. Look on top of the bottom lip of the dash where the harness feeds the radio, cigarette lighter, ashtray lamp, heater - A/C box, passenger door light switch, etc.

If you don't find that one, just tie it into another one under there. I guess it needs to be a constant-hot feed, not one that is switched. Otherwise, the light won't come on unless you turn on the key. As said above, cigarette lighter is a likely choice.

Jerry

yep the harness for the lighting package comes from the fusebox and feeds the ashtray light and the glovebox light and has the switch for the map light also,if you don't have the lighting package you can tap in to a constant hot wire for it.

I wont tie a glovebox lamp to (pink) always hot. I use the (orange) dash light circuit. I've seen too many batteries killed by tiny little lights along with melted lenses. The ashtray light is adaptable to your tray hanger or just use the entire hanger from a later model. I tired that to the (oange) radio light wire in my 67.

I've seen too many batteries killed by tiny little lights along with melted lenses.
I guess I'm a little confused. What does this mean? If the glove box door is closed, how can the light run down the battery and melt the lens? Unless you mean that the glove box is somehow accidentally left open over night.

I tired that to the (oange) radio light wire in my 67.
Doesn't this mean you have to have your keys with you each time you need to get into the glove box in the dark? Not really a big deal, but I sometimes dig around in there for a pen, note pad, business card, etc. at a car show when the keys are not in the ignition.

My statement weren't mopar spacific but apply to all cars. Even the mfgrs finally figured out that if it aint dark, the trunk, under hood, and glovebox lamps aren't needed . If it is dark the park lamps would be on so they connect them there. No key needed to pull the park lamps on.
Most recent battery killed this way was brothers 93 Mustang. His glovebox light switch was busted by an eye glasses case. Goes back to "everything but gloves in a glovebox".
In these mopars the glovebox door latch fails and the door drops open.
Another point to consider is the pink wire that feeds the cigarette lighter is on a 20 amp fuse. If it will turn the lighter element red hot it can turn a switch or bulb/socket red hot.

Hmmm... all valid points. And no, I don't have a single pair of gloves in my "glove box".
icon10.gif

My 74 Dart did not come with a glovebox light, however I found one on eBay. It is now in the glovebox, however the orange wire that is supposed to be tied in to the under dash wiring was cut when purchased. I have asked this question before, but nobody seems to be able to answer it.

WHERE DOES THE END OF THE ORANGE WIRE PLUG INTO THE WIRING HARNESS? Surely somebody can look under their dash and provide an answer. I have two plugs in the passenger side wiring harness with nothing plugged in to them. I think one of these may be for the glovebox light. Does anybody have a glovebox light?

My 74 Dart did not come with a glovebox light, however I found one on eBay. It is now in the glovebox, however the orange wire that is supposed to be tied in to the under dash wiring was cut when purchased. I have asked this question before, but nobody seems to be able to answer it.

WHERE DOES THE END OF THE ORANGE WIRE PLUG INTO THE WIRING HARNESS? Surely somebody can look under their dash and provide an answer. I have two plugs in the passenger side wiring harness with nothing plugged in to them. I think one of these may be for the glovebox light. Does anybody have a glovebox light?

Yeah no one really seemed to help alot.... They are sitting here saying its a bad idea its a bad idea. I am going to do it wether they say not to or not. I mean hell I used to be an electrician I understand the principles and concepts of wiring and what can happen when it goes wrong. I just want someone to help out and help me with the actual wiring process like you said.

LOL:angry7:

First of all, you don't know how tough it is for this 51-year old body of mine to crawl underneath the dash in Aaron's Dart Sport. Also, once the harness gets to about the left edge of the glovebox door, your guess is as good as mine where it goes.

Here are a couple of pics that I hope will answer some of the questions you guys have regarding the glovebox lamp. According to my Haynes repair manual, a 16ga red wire feeds from the fuse block, and it junctions with a 16ga red/tracer wire to the cigarette lighter, a 20ga pink wire to the glovebox lamp, and a 20ga pink wire to the map lamp. The 20ga brown wire runs back to the map lamp switch. The connector CI 20 is a single-wire bullet-style for the glovebox lamp to plug into. The lamp switch housing grounds to the metal dash as it passes through the hole on the right side of the glovebox opening.

Whew, got it?
Have fun,
Jerry

Glovebox wiring 01.jpg

Glovebox wiring 02.JPG

Here are two pictures of my underdash. The first picture from left to right shows the ashtray light (red and black wires), the cylindrical object with the red wire/white tracer and black wire is the turn signal flasher, the third wire with two orange wires (single plug) has never been hooked up, and the fourth wire with dark green and tan (two prong plug) also has never been hooked up.

The second picture below is moving further to the passenger kickpanel where the wiring harness hooks into the switch under the hold down. You can see in this picture the pink wire coming from the glovebox light. The end has been cut and is not hooked up. The yellow wire comes from the end of the underdash wire harness and plugs into the door jamb switch. The rest of the wiring from the connector goes down under the carpet along the door sill and makes a 90 degree turn under the carpet to the plugs in the seat.

I really would like to know where to plug in the pink wire. I can't make out how it plugs in from Jerry's pictures.

Thanks Jerry. I agree with you about crawling under the dash.

HPIM0703.jpg

HPIM0702.jpg

It doesn't appear on this diagram that the glove box light has it's own switch to turn on when the door is opened. This diagram is for a dart so your car may be a little different but I see the same thing for the coronet and chargers too.

71dodgedartrear.jpg

First of all, you don't know how tough it is for this 51-year old body of mine to crawl underneath the dash in Aaron's Dart Sport. Also, once the harness gets to about the left edge of the glovebox door, your guess is as good as mine where it goes.

Here are a couple of pics that I hope will answer some of the questions you guys have regarding the glovebox lamp. According to my Haynes repair manual, a 16ga red wire feeds from the fuse block, and it junctions with a 16ga red/tracer wire to the cigarette lighter, a 20ga pink wire to the glovebox lamp, and a 20ga pink wire to the map lamp. The 20ga brown wire runs back to the map lamp switch. The connector CI 20 is a single-wire bullet-style for the glovebox lamp to plug into. The lamp switch housing grounds to the metal dash as it passes through the hole on the right side of the glovebox opening.

Whew, got it?
Have fun,
Jerry

you are either a midget or have a great camera! those are some great pics! can't be anymore detailed that that......

I really would like to know where to plug in the pink wire. I can't make out how it plugs in from Jerry's pictures.
Randy, using the red "Passenger Side" reference arrows on my pics, rotate the second pic counter-clockwise to point left like in the first pic. The pink wire at the bottom of the first pic passing in front of the white plastic glovebox liner is what you are apparently missing. Follow it to the left into the second pic and you will see that it is what the pink glovebox lamp wire plugs into. Yours is cut off, so you can't see that it is what I call a "bullet-style" connector.

You are going to have to crimp your choice of terminal onto the end of your damaged pink wire, then choose a wire under the dash to run a lead to for your power source. You'll have to decide if you want the lamp to function with or without the key in the ignition (constant-hot source or switch-on source).

One alternative is to acquire that segment of wiring harness that includes the proper pink lead for the glovebox lamp. Or, do what it appears they did in '71 (see Dartnewbie's wiring diagram) and tie into the wire to your map light (don't you have one). That way, you turn on your glovebox lamp with the "MAP LIGHT" switch to the left of your steering column.

Decisions...decisions....

Jerry

Thanks for the pictures and for crawling under your dash and taking them. I appreciate the help.

Jeff

So, Jeff, do you have the pink wire under your dash to plug the glovebox lamp wire into? I'm guessing it's a special harness segment that would have been part of an option package. You may have to just hook yours up to another wire under there, too.

Let us know what you decide,
Jerry

Randy, using the red "Passenger Side" reference arrows on my pics, rotate the second pic counter-clockwise to point left like in the first pic. The pink wire at the bottom of the first pic passing in front of the white plastic glovebox liner is what you are apparently missing. Follow it to the left into the second pic and you will see that it is what the pink glovebox lamp wire plugs into. Yours is cut off, so you can't see that it is what I call a "bullet-style" connector.

I don't think I am missing the "pink wire at the bottom ot the first pic passing in front of the white plastic glovebox liner." My glovebox lamp has the bullet connector attached near the bulb and the pink wire you see running down to the underdash wire harness approximately nine inches is what is not connected. If I put a terminal/plug on it, where does it plug into the wire harness?

Or, do what it appears they did in '71 (see Dartnewbie's wiring diagram) and tie into the wire to your map light (don't you have one). That way, you turn on your glovebox lamp with the "MAP LIGHT" switch to the left of your steering column.

No Map Light came on this car in 1974, nor now. Is a map light needed to hook up the glovebox light?

Ok with looking at a whole other harness section and asking some mopar friends I am figured out exactly how it worked. At least in theory. I know that just when you think that you have the standard on how something was done on these cars all of the sudden it pops up with a car that has no pattern to what everything else you have seen in the past.... LOL We all know Ma Mopar. Ok well here is what I have come to. In the fuse block on the very end in my fuse box and I am assuming all cars that were not optioned with the A01 Light Package. The wires would come from that end fuse spot and continue on to start at the ash tray light, progress to the map light where a wire would then trace back to the map light switch and then a single power wire runs to the glovebox light and ends there. Here is a little bit of an example of what I am talking about and a good price for a light package... LOL I might end up buying it myself to eliminate splicing and jerry riggin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0150562581&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

Thanks for all the help and I appreciate everything. As far as not having the map light I am sure it goes all about the same and then bypass's it.

Jeff

It appears that your pink wire is cut off approximately where you see my callout note for the "Junction of red/pink/pink". I don't think you have anywhere to "plug" it in, the harness segment normally feeding that pink wire is missing.

... to eliminate splicing and jerry riggin.
Hey, I resemble that remark!!

Finally, I think you have described the wiring circuit as I understand it.

Your eBay link doesn't work anymore. Maybe Randy bought it.
icon10.gif

Good luck,
Jerry

you just gotta figure out if you want the glovebox light to come on with out having the keys turned on or the headlight turned on,the factory had it hooked to a constant hot wire so it would come on any time you opened the glove box,so make sure you close the door when you are done....kinda like a fridgerator except...no beer in there Lol

-
Back