gloves?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
As an "old guy," I have mostly never worn gloves. Today was a real PITA because of an old generator I picked up, sour gas

What kind of not-too-expensive gloves you guys use?

(No Walmart, please, I won't go there)

I use nitryl powdered gloves. I like the powdered because they are real easy to get on. Only trouble is, I have huge caveman hands so when I find them in XXL I get a bunch. Most any pharmacy will have them. I don't like latex because it makes my hands break out.

harbor freight has 1.95 rubber tipped gloves-- just nylon mesh gloves dipped-- work great-- pitch them when wore out-- they have more that one style -- the thick rubber dipped ones are not recommended.

Lowes /H depot sell similar for more $$ in the gardening section-- never used to wear gloves now i don't pick up grimy stuff with out them
Lawrence

Thanks guys. The small drugstore where I get my meds only had latex. O'Reallys had some Nitrile, I bought two different packs, one black supposed to be "better" (they cost more, LOL) so that's enough to get me started. They are "L" but not what I'd call "L" LOL

I use the HF nitrile gloves for most things....unless the job requires regular heavy gloves...then I use the gloves that come 3 to a pack from Costco. When I used to ride the bike all the time I would wear the HF nitrile gloves under my summer leather gloves at times when the summer gloves were not enough and the heavier winter gloves were to much....

Nitrile gloves from o'rellys made by SAS part#66518 they are black and are 6 mils thick,i think that part# is for the medium.
About 15.00 a box of 50 or 100 can't remember
These are the only gloves i use for mechanic work or body work.

Nitrile unpowdered for me. Cheap, effective, one use so nothing gets contaminated, and there are no fingerprints on my powder **** when I ship it out. :-D

We have a group that brings them to the automotive swap meets and I get a whole 17 gallon container every year. I get a mix so I have some for about any use.

Well just got in from an "unsuccessful" trial. Unsuccessful in that a quick clean of the generator carb resulted in ----nada.

But the blue O'Reallys gloves are not impressive. I'll use them on less "chemical" stuff, and try the black

Thanks for the comments, I'll try some other brands, too. They sure make ya sweat, LOL

I use the PVC black dot knobbys for general tire/banging work & xl powdered vinyl gloves for oil changes greasy work/chemicals, that I think are 5 mil thick. They are ~$10 for a box of a hundred, recently ordered a case of 10 from Seton, which ended up about $5/box.

I get the med duty blue nitrile at HF, 100 in a box for about $7. A lot of times I will double glove, cause even the heaviest ones will get ugly with chemicals and they will all rip on sharp edges. With second glove on you just change the outer and keep going. If I am doing anything with heavy greasy parts, I wont use them - too slippery. I will either go bare hands and get in the grunge or 'real' gloves. If you gotta get your hands in solvents thick neoprene gloves are probably the best.

Kinda on the same subject - what about hand cleaner?
If you want something that removes paint. epoxy, bondo (and grease) Stoko Cupran Special will remove just about anything. I get it from Airgas about $8 per tube. They make a slightly cheaper one called Kresto, but its more for just grease.
Another good one for grease is sold by Batteries Plus. Now called Walnut Blast. it was originally' Nut Blast" , but they changed the name ?? LOL

...Kinda on the same subject - what about hand cleaner?
If you want something that removes paint. epoxy, bondo (and grease) Stoko Cupran Special will remove just about anything. I get it from Airgas about $8 per tube. They make a slightly cheaper one called Kresto, but its more for just grease.
Another good one for grease is sold by Batteries Plus. Now called Walnut Blast. it was originally' Nut Blast" , but they changed the name ?? LOL

I've always been a big fan of Dawn dishwashing soap because it works well and doesn't dry my hands out like all commercial hand cleaners do.

My dad had a trick he taught me years ago. Before you start working, rub the dish soap into your hands like lotion until it's completely absorbed into your skin and then go work on the car. When it's time to wash up, all the grunge sticks to the dried dish soap instead of your hands and it comes right off. :-D

Well just got in from an "unsuccessful" trial. Unsuccessful in that a quick clean of the generator carb resulted in ----nada.

But the blue O'Reallys gloves are not impressive. I'll use them on less "chemical" stuff, and try the black

Thanks for the comments, I'll try some other brands, too. They sure make ya sweat, LOL

I always use the Black gloves from O'Reilly. The blue ones are ok for light use, and can withstand some light oils or chemicals. They don't like brake cleaner or carb cleaner at all. The black ones are a lot tougher and can withstand some use of brake or carb cleaner but heavy use will still distort them. The Black gloves seem to run small though. My hands aren't huge by any means and I have to wear an XL in them or I tear them when I try to put them on. I don't work without them though.

i always use the black gloves from o'reilly. The blue ones are ok for light use, and can withstand some light oils or chemicals. They don't like brake cleaner or carb cleaner at all. The black ones are a lot tougher and can withstand some use of brake or carb cleaner but heavy use will still distort them.

x2

I've always been a big fan of Dawn dishwashing soap :-D

Years ago a friend of my Dad's was a long time gas station operator. He used to use a product named something like "silicone glove" or some such and swore by it.

Years ago a friend of my Dad's was a long time gas station operator. He used to use a product named something like "silicone glove" or some such and swore by it.

Used this stuff called Second Skin or something of the nature....worked well....

I've always been a big fan of Dawn dishwashing soap because it works well and doesn't dry my hands out like all commercial hand cleaners do.

She uses Ashley Force fuel-proof nail polish on her toes too. :thumblef:

I use mostly nitrile but only when using chemicals, cleaners, painting, etc. Best use though is when changing oil. Some of these modern cars have ridiculous oil filter locations and the oil just overflows onto the outer surfaces of the filter can. Gotta wear gloves using POR15 too.

Finally bought a pair of "Mechanics" gloves a few years ago. Nice in the winter but I hardly use them otherwise. Watching those guys on the TV car shows.....it looks like they can't do ANYTHING without them.
You need gloves to change wiper blades? Really?

My work sells Permatex Black Nitrile gloves which are the ones to get. They are stronger then the Blue gloves that you see.

-
Back