GM person about tomake switch. 73 dart sport Questions

-
welcome to FABO knee.
a brief comment: BUY IT
that car shows VERY nicely and you'd likely get higher offers than 5K just cruisin around, imho
something else you should know, once you get a mopar, you're hooked

welcome to FABO knee.
a brief comment: BUY IT
that car shows VERY nicely and you'd likely get higher offers than 5K just cruisin around, imho
something else you should know, once you get a mopar, you're hooked

There is a lot of truth in that statement.

Welcome to the site. You will like it here! 5k for that car is a good deal. Its a very clean car judging from the pics. I payed 6500 for a rusted out 70 duster drag car to resto, but it was what I wanted. It all depends on how bad you want it. I know just by looking at the pics that car would sell for way more than 5k around my neck of the woods.

I say go get it before he changes his mind!!!

WOW, what a good looking clean car! Where can you get a car that nice these days for $5k? New car? No way. Rice burner? Ugh! I say grab it.

I would think 5K is a good deal. Get a good alignment. The caster and camber are done with eccentric bolts on the upper a-arm. The setting are inter-related and take some fiddling and patience to adjust. Caster that is not even side to side may be responsible for the drift feeling even if all is tight.

You will also find a Mopar automatic much tighter than a GM. Do not sloppy shift from reverse to drive while coasting in reverse, like is often done in a GM.

one more quick observation, if you'll allow me, is that the car is sitting pretty nose high. if you buy it turn those t-bars down some and see if it drives better.

That is a sharp Dart Sport, I have a 73 340 Dart Sport and a 74 Duster. My Duster use to drive like a battle wagon needing constant correcting. Try and turn in the torsion bars. A little front end rebuild kit from firm feel will have that thing feeling allot better going down the road. And welcome to the mopar side!

Personal opinion here buy I have never spent more then 825$ for a dart and that was a near mint 74 4 door my Swinger cost me 300$ but then again it needed work for 5K I would be looking for a done car that needs no work especially being a 73 it seems prices are the highest between 68-70 other then that they drop pretty fast especially 73 and up or 66 and down check kijiji, craigslist and the classifieds on here even e-bay for something local I know prices are going up right now I just saw a 68 4 door and the guy wants 2500$ and it needs work but there are still plenty of good deals to be found my 4 door 74 needed paint and a little body work along with a rad to be a show car and it had the original drive train which was a 318 and disc brakes which you may wan't since I'm guessing the car you are looking at is a slant six car converted to a v8 with 4 wheel drums your call just my opinion. (my most expensive car besides the new 74 is my 95 metro for 350$ some call me cheap8))

Personal opinion here buy I have never spent more then 825$ for a dart and that was a near mint 74 4 door my Swinger cost me 300$ but then again it needed work for 5K I would be looking for a done car that needs no work especially being a 73 it seems prices are the highest between 68-70 other then that they drop pretty fast especially 73 and up or 66 and down check kijiji, craigslist and the classifieds on here even e-bay for something local I know prices are going up right now I just saw a 68 4 door and the guy wants 2500$ and it needs work but there are still plenty of good deals to be found my 4 door 74 needed paint and a little body work along with a rad to be a show car and it had the original drive train which was a 318 and disc brakes which you may wan't since I'm guessing the car you are looking at is a slant six car converted to a v8 with 4 wheel drums your call just my opinion. (my most expensive car besides the new 74 is my 95 metro for 350$ some call me cheap8))
I know I am a newbie but I must. I would not pay $200 for a 4 door.:bootysha:

One thing to look for if you plan on adding power is what size the rearend is. I made the mistake on my first Mopar. Got a 7.25" rearend bought a new motor and started doing research, come to find out I need a new rearend. I understand there are several options here but I am still looking for the best/most effecient. Oh that and the 5 on 4" bolt pattern. Not sure what year they stopped this but that was a shocker when I went to buy wheels. Again I new nothing about Mopar and bought my Dart because I liked it and wanted an old car to play with.

Welcome!If your that interested,ask to take it to a mechanic.He might find something that you might have overlooked.Check torque boxes and rear frame that,s usually where these cars rott.By the way MOPAR stands for MoveOverPeopleAreRacing.Have a good look at the forums there great info.

Most Outstanding Performance On Raceday is what MOPAR stands for. LOL!!!!
This is a great site. Spend some time surfing through past posts for all the info you will need. It will be time well spent. Enjoy!!!!
Frank

Just a thought... have somebody turn the steering lock to lock, and watch the steering box itself for movement. My 73 Dart Sport 340 shook terribly on the way home from buying it, it turned out that the bolts holding the gearbox to the frame were loose. 10 minutes with a ratchet fixed it right up. After you get familiar with the car, and get a factory service manual, you can adjust the gearbox itself to tighten the lash up. Good luck with the Dart, wish i still had mine!
alan627b
My Old Plymouth Always Runs.....

Welcome Knee!I can,t seem to see any pics..Could you post a couple in the members photo gallery.I,d like to see another clean dart sport.Sounds like you might have found a sweet deal???????????

-
Back