GM. Wow....

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
As was posted not too long ago the worst engine ever thread I stated the 3100 and 3400 GM V6.

These engines never cease to amaze me in what I can find wrong with them. Besides the penchant to blow intake gaskets.

Last Christmas I did a set of blown head gaskets in a Montana minivan. No problem. Overheat an iron block/aluminum headed factory engine, that's what you get.

Not too long ago had to replace a short block assembly for a young lady with a Silhouette which broke a cam in a 3400. Majorly f-ed up the upper end. Valves and push rods bent like you wouldn't believe.

Had one dragged in last week in which the previous owner was told the engine was blown. 3400 powered Alero. New owner expects to have to put in an engine, but I'm not convinced after seeing 8 quarts of something or other in the oil pan registering on the dipstick. Smells suspiciously like gasoline. Engine won't even turn over because of the extra drag on the crank.

Drain the oil, refill, engine runs on five cylinders, slight tapping in the upper end. P0301 code showing. Number one plug looks like it hasn't done much in ages, good compression, but what's the tick? Pull the valve cover, number one intake rocker is on with just a couple of threads. Pull it, chase the thread to clean em up, tighten. Seems to be an issue with these engines, especially after someone has done intake gaskets. Roll engine over by hand. Number one exhaust valve is barely moving. Pull the rocker and find out the push rod has pushed through the rocker. They have now become one part. Replace both. Roll engine over by hand to watch for motion. Pull the fuel pump relay, all the plugs, (hey, I was turning it by hand, easier that way) and roll engine over to make sure it's oiling. Good oil. Button up. Running like a champ.

Get a call yesterday to tow another one in. 3100 powered Pontiac with a ticking. Owner is sure the engine is blown. After a little noise chasing come to find out the torque converter bolts are loose. Granted, this one isn't the engine's fault. Repeat after me: "Loc-Tite is my friend."

But it makes me wonder what the heck else I'll be messing with on this engines...

The plus side on the last two, though, is being able to tell the customer that for just a little bit of time and a few parts, instead of major repair bills, like a new engine, they now have a running car.

When I was shopping for a minivan several years ago I noticed quite a few Astro Vans for sale.

I ran the other way whenever I saw one. Bought a Dodge grand Caravan with the 3.8. No issues with the drivetrain whatsoever,but the ac system isnt so great,lol...

my winter beater last year was a '98 lumina with the 3.1
Started great and ran good all winter.

...but it's got a bad head gasket:-D

My 95 Z-26 has a 3100, only problem I've ever had was the intake gasket, think it's got about 130,000 on it.. And I replaced a coil pack...

Anyone who fixes-up a customer's car instead of selling them a new plant is OK in my book. Well done, sir! -LY

Thank you, LY. I treat everyone equally and honestly. Tell the truth about the repairs.

Right now I have a local dealership playing games with a young lady I had to send their way. Crank/No Start on a Taurus with a P1260 code set in the PATS module. The car thinks it's being stolen after it stalled out. I looked the car over, but had to send it their way for the IDS to access the security system.

They're telling her it has a blown engine. We're getting two different stories out of 'em. One: it's locked up and won't turn over. Two: it's got a hole in the block and is pumping oil everywhere. Which is it?
By, the way, the dealership is telling me it's locked right up, but no, the technician didn't try to roll it over by hand, no, he didn't test the starter, but who's going to pay the bill? In the meantime they're telling her it has a hole in the engine. Really, then why was it full of oil when I pulled the dipstick? If there's a hole in the block how'd it get there? And if you're telling me it's locked up then how can it roll over to pump oil everywhere? And if it's locked up then how did it roll over to the point that it set the 1260 code?

Tell the truth, that way you only have one story to remember.

"Tell the truth, that way you only have one story to remember."

Yeah, life is so much easier that way!

If you were around where I live and you worked like you do on my car, you would have a customer for LIFE!!! You should never go long without work sir!

My daughters 98 grand am gt with a 3100 just had a cam break. It did a lot of damage. It has a good body but i am not sure if it is worthwhile to replace
the motor because a lot of them are junk.
Stan

"Tell the truth, that way you only have one story to remember."

Yeah, life is so much easier that way!

If you were around where I live and you worked like you do on my car, you would have a customer for LIFE!!! You should never go long without work sir!

Thanks for the compliment. I'm trying to build the reputation. I've got a few customers who won't let anyone else but me touch his or her vehicle. Just need the word to spread.

My daughters 98 grand am gt with a 3100 just had a cam break. It did a lot of damage. It has a good body but i am not sure if it is worthwhile to replace
the motor because a lot of them are junk.
Stan

Trying to find a low mileage affordable one can be a risk, but just like everything it's weighing the options.

Are the finances to replace as much or more than replacing the car itself? Like the Pontiac with the tick. The owner was sure it needed an engine and was prepared to have to buy another car, even though my labor was only going to be $450 to change the engine, plus the cost of the engine and related parts for coolant, oil, filter, etc. He determined for that amount he could find a $500 beater.

If you do replace the engine, what's the life expectancy of that versus the life expectancy of a $500 beater? Or can you replace the engine cheap, get a few more years out of it to prepare to buy something newer?

What's the book value of the car? If you decide to sell can you get X amount for it versus replacing the engine for X amount and get full book out of it, if the market will sustain full book?

The owner of the Pontiac just knew he could only get the scrapyard price for the car with a blown engine. Now the tick is gone and he figures that he will be able to place a $2395 sticker on the windshield and see what happens.

Again, the loose converter bolts aren't the engine's fault. The trans was replaced about a year ago, but for the price of having it towed in, plus my diagnostics and repairs he's into it for less than a $100 on this go 'round.

Good Job Ramenth! I do agree about the honesty....it's the only way to do it. My customers are the same way, only I touch their cars. I sometimes overexplain to them so they can understand especially when I do a diagnosis but no the repair, and I still give them a bill. I walk them thru it so they feel comfortable about spending money.

I do remember those 3.1, 3.3, 3.6 GM engines from my days in independent repair.....oh god, what a nightmare they can be.....

i9 cannot say anything bad about the 3100 we had in our 2000 chevy malibu. bought it with 108,000 on the clock, and drove it to 219,000 and had to replace the waterpump once. that is it. we never even did a t-belt on it. car was one of the most reliable that we have had.

the only issue we started to have with the car was the stupid key was wearing out, and once in a blue moon, it would trigger the security system, as if we were sticking a fake key in the car to steal it, and it would shut the car down for 10 minutes, until it reset the damn thing. we paid 600.00 for it, and after all the use and abuse, we still sold it for 1,700.00 to a used car dealer

Robert,

You my friend, are one upstanding gentleman!! Our profession and world need more like you in it!

Kim

i9 cannot say anything bad about the 3100 we had in our 2000 chevy malibu. bought it with 108,000 on the clock, and drove it to 219,000 and had to replace the waterpump once. that is it. we never even did a t-belt on it. car was one of the most reliable that we have had.

the only issue we started to have with the car was the stupid key was wearing out, and once in a blue moon, it would trigger the security system, as if we were sticking a fake key in the car to steal it, and it would shut the car down for 10 minutes, until it reset the damn thing. we paid 600.00 for it, and after all the use and abuse, we still sold it for 1,700.00 to a used car dealer

Every once in while you'll have one which doesn't require much. Just seems that I'm finding some stupid stuff with these engines lately beyond the ordinary fixes.

Gotta tell you though, the 3100 and 3400 is a chain driven engine. Not that big of a deal, just FYI.

An honest man will always have work. My mentor's shop is just like that, he is honest with everyone and will walk the customer through the repair and after performing diagnostics he even will call them to update them on their car. None of his customers go anywhere else, ever. Even the guys he worked with at GM 10 years ago come to him for their work. And theres a customer of his that drives an hour just to see him for work.

An honest man will always have an honest days work. You are an awesome guy Ramenth. :cheers:

My DD/work vehicle is a 99 Chevy Venture with a 3.4 that my in laws bought new. It's got 235,000 miles on it and it's still runs great. I hope I'm not living on borrowed time. LOL

-
Back