Going through divorce, please help me, any idea of value?

-

JohnTheMailman

Goin' Postal!
Reaction score
So my wife of 10 years, and two kids, decides one day she's not happy and wants a divorce, a week later and she has filled all the paper work, she wants either my Triumph motorcycle or my Dart. or I can pay her half the value of both combined in order to save them. I figure this is a pretty acurate place to get an idea of value since we are the ones who deal in these cars. I realize this is just a guesstimate. What would you pay???

Here she is, a '73 Dart sport.

She was originally a 360/904 car, now a 383/727. Internals are unknown. Manifolds w/no exuast yet.
Rear end is still the 7 1/4'' peg leg
The front end as well as doors are '72 Duster
It was a Vinyl top car so the roof needs work, and it needs a windshield.
The only rust on the body is in the spare tire well.
Wheels are old centerlines missing the caps.
I'm in the process of stripping all the paint, its about 20% done.
Seats are just temporary junkyard seats
It does run and drive, I wouldnt take it too far just yet, sort of a work in progress.

View attachment 172796

View attachment 172797

View attachment 172798

View attachment 172799

View attachment 172800

View attachment 172803

Any ideas?? I paid $1000 for a '72 Duster with a half asses 383 swap in Clovis,NM back in 2000. I figure this can't be worth more than $2-3K as it sits. Any input is appreciated! This situation blows!!!!

John the Mailman

i would say you are right on with the $2k-$3k sorry to here about your problems went through the same thing about 5 years ago it does get better hang in there

Wow are you lucky!Pay her half and get on with your life.I would say3 would catch it.The way times are.I didnt get off that lucky.Try to get along with her as much as possible.Keep your priorities straight.

Hey man I feel for ya!! Chin up. Id be in the WTF phase too. Dont really have any idea what it would be worth, take a look in the "cars for sale" and try to find something at the same point of resto

Thanks d5 - We've been half way civil so far, it maybe another story once we goto court. really all I give a **** about is my kids (3&7). we've worked out 50/50 custody so thats doable, bummer is I'll be payin her $1000 a month in child support, gotta love wisconsin 50/50 and you still pay out the ***! but when it comes down to it, its for the kids so i shouldn't *****..... Thanks for the advice guys!

Most woman plan the break up months ahead, 80% of the time its another guy.. I've been through it plenty of times.... I'd say $700 is all its worth.. Give her $350 and call it even....

I'd say its worth about a dollar. Toss her a couple of quarters and show her the door.
Just kidding of course. Sorry to hear about your problems I have also been there. I like your car and I agree on the value of between 2 and 3k. Good luck, tomorrow is another day.

iggy- it was crazy dude, I came home from work on her birthday and she was sittin there waiting, all her stuff was already gone, kids were gone. I had just gotten her flowers and a cake and a couples massage class at the local YMCA (she had been talkin about wanting to do it) and a few other thingsfrom the kids. We had gotten into it earlier that weekend, but having been married 10.5 years, you get into it here and there. She just said she wasn't happy and wanted to move on, talk about shocker! We're both 29 and have been together since we were 17. I'm having to learn how to live on my own for the first time. The longest I was ever alone was the 4 months in tent city during Enduring Freedom. lame huh? I'm sure theres faults on both side, just... still shoking, I keep thinking it might be a messed up dream!

So I appreciate you guys letting me vent this out, working at the post office most people couldnt give a damn about the next guy, and facebook is too close to home.

That sucks, man. went through one of those "wtf just happened" myself. lost weight, drank too much, and was generally in a funk for quite awhile. things are much better now, so, like a previous poster said: keep your chin up. also lean on freinds just to listen. some of them probably been there too.
Can't tell from post if its a new triumph or a gennie, but if it was a new one i would let her go. the Duster will only gain in value, probably not so much with the triumph.
good luck dude- pauly

I hate it happened to you and the kids.. Guys are always like WTF, woman plan ahead... Trust me, I got suckered out of my house and my kids by my first wife... No way the cars worth 2-3k in that condition...

really, the lower it comes out the better for me, hell, at once I said that It might 'book' at $250. value is sort of like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, ain't it? I can only say I have maybe $2500 into it. but to joe shmo, he might laugh and say, nothing matches, i'll give you $500, it depends on the person... maybe i'm wrong?

I hate it for you . . . went through that same thing a few years back, but we were very civil for the most part. Got some Marriage counseling, plus we both got individual counseling, and we worked out our issues. We are doing great now. I hope things work out for the best for both of you, PM me if I can be of any help . . .

really, the lower it comes out the better for me, hell, at once I said that It might 'book' at $250. value is sort of like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, ain't it? I can only say I have maybe $2500 into it. but to joe shmo, he might laugh and say, nothing matches, i'll give you $500, it depends on the person... maybe i'm wrong?

Hey John.... sorry for your troubles........

I think Greeny has put the correct price on the car....... $750.00 is what I would offer you if I were in the market... Triumph no idea...........let her keep it. you live in freaking snow country!

Id say its worth 1500$ in that shape. But thats lowballing kinda. Just make it look as shitty and f'ked as possible so when she tries to say its worth more in court, you can show the judge pictures of a ghetto rusty hulk and him say "BS!! That aint worth 3000$!!!" Id say pay the half and keep your stuff cuz you will just end up with the "new guy" riding your bike. Or her crushing the car. Either way, if she gets anything, its lose lose.l Especially the kids

If she thinks you're tryin' to con her at $700, sit it out in the driveway just like this with a "make offer" sign in the window.. Not that you have to sell it, just let her hear the offers...

attachment.php

Son never get rid of a good car for a woman, you can alway get a good woman. but never find a good car!!! the man was married to the same woman for 64 years till he passed away. "I loved that man:"

My Triumph is nothing special really, it's a '97 Adventurer 885 tripple with 13k on it. I trded it straight up for a VW bug I brought back from Germany. It was a cool bug, It was in the German army and still had the decals and paint. I bought it with my last military uniform allowance. sort of a present to myself for serving. they even shipped it home for free. I won a bunch of trophies including 2nd place at the MOFOCO Bugfest in 2006. I really wanted a bike, this one happend to be the first thing to pop up. As far as the new guy getting to ride it, same goes for the dart, it would kill me to see some jag off driving my stuff after porkin my woman and hangin out with my little ones. I think I'll end up paying whatever it takes to keep them. Thanks again for the support everyone......

iggy- it was crazy dude, I came home from work on her birthday and she was sittin there waiting, all her stuff was already gone, kids were gone. I had just gotten her flowers and a cake and a couples massage class at the local YMCA (she had been talkin about wanting to do it) and a few other thingsfrom the kids. We had gotten into it earlier that weekend, but having been married 10.5 years, you get into it here and there. She just said she wasn't happy and wanted to move on, talk about shocker! We're both 29 and have been together since we were 17. I'm having to learn how to live on my own for the first time. The longest I was ever alone was the 4 months in tent city during Enduring Freedom. lame huh? I'm sure theres faults on both side, just... still shoking, I keep thinking it might be a messed up dream!

So I appreciate you guys letting me vent this out, working at the post office most people couldnt give a damn about the next guy, and facebook is too close to home.

Nice ain't that a kick in the crotch

I would till her the way it sits between 700.00 to 1500.00 especially in this economy.

Yank the drive train out & put it on blocks.

Tough situation......You both being together since 17 sounds as if its time for her to spread her...err..wings. It happens when one dosn't have a chance to experience life before making a commitment.

Just be there for your children and keep an eye out for their welfare.
Take solace in the fact that she will most likely be buying ciggy butts and Xbox games for her new Bo.

Can't say on value, but if it where me I think I would get it appraised, might cost $100 or so, but then you have the paperwork to back up the $$$, and being the prick I am, I would deduct half of the appraisal from her half of the money.

That sucks to the extreme.
I'm still in WTF mode after a year has gone by. Sort of same story, but I was stuck in NOLA fixing up the flooded house, while she was set up nicely in Knoxville Tn living the good life. After she spent what little insurance money we received, burned through the savings, and racked up all the credit cards. I found out she has a boy friend. I'm still in NOLA after Uncle Sam forced me to retire just 90 days after Katrina flooded the house. Yes, FIVE FREAKING years later, still working on it.

Bright side for you, YOUR STILL YOUNG! And don't give in and give up or reduce the 50/50 custody like my ex tried to do in court.
Try being almost 50 back out on the dating scene. Don't know what to do after being married for the last 20 years.
The only good thing for me so far, didn't have a classic until about 6 months ago. Impulse bought a 62 Lancer just like I had for my first car. Keeps me from going "postal". lol.

Get written estimates for what dealers would give you in a trade in.
Then get written estimates for all the repairs that need to be done.
That should drop the value down to the bare minimum .
Did you apply for VA disability, hopefully not, so do it now and get a little break on your tax burden.
GOOD LUCK, and Semper FI!

-
Back