Going to Check Out a "Barn Find"

-
No. I've stayed in contact with my buddy and he assures me that I have first shot at it, but we haven't been able to meet up with the owner's son. He has been out of town, and the weather here has SUCKED for two weeks now. I'll keep the thread updated as I get more info. Sorry for the disappointment, but no one is as anxious to see this deal get done as I am.
Good luck!! :thumbsup:

Wish I had better news to report but I talked to my friend at church on Sunday and he said the whole thing is tied up in probate. Sounds like the owner died without a will and the title is in his name or is missing. He assured me that no one else has seen it and that I am still first in line.

Wish I had better news to report but I talked to my friend at church on Sunday and he said the whole thing is tied up in probate. Sounds like the owner died without a will and the title is in his name or is missing. He assured me that no one else has seen it and that I am still first in line.
That sucks!! Those things take time. Hopefully when it is done, you will be the new owner!! :thumbsup:

How difficult would it be to file for a lost title? You might suggest to your friend to mention it to the family of the owner.

I was merely speculating. What he actually said was "there is a problem with the title". That could mean several different things.

This is a very tricky situation. I don't want to appear over anxious and jeopardize the position I am in. Patience will be my best asset.

Your patience is applauded, but asking if you can possibly help out would be a grand gesture. I would hate to see the car not go to someone such as you who will appreciate it.

Interesting story. Twelve hours after the posts above, my buddy called and asked if I wanted to go see the car on Saturday (today)? I just got home from seeing it, and a lot of mystery has been cleared up.

It is a true one owner, little old lady school teacher's car. She's been gone since 2002 and the car looks like it was last registered in 2001. The title issues have been cleared up and the state says the seller should have a clear title in 6-8 weeks. We talked ballpark prices and I think we found one agreeable to both parties.

The car is as solid as it looked in the first set of pictures. The only rust I could find was this spot on the RR quarter panel. The area in the trunk that we thought might be rust is actually spray glue for the carpet that has been added.
1708798750953.jpeg

The car was rust proofed at some time in it's life and the floor boards are solid.

1708798930376.jpeg

There is a small tear on the convertible top but the rest of it appears solid. I has the red parade cover in the boot and it seems to be in nice shape also.
1708799139373.jpeg

The interior is as clean as we originally thought. No rips or tears in the upholstery and I think the carpet will probably clean up. The only piece needing attention is the driver's door panel, and it should be a pretty easy fix. The dash pad is really nice and has a radio delete plate.
1708799340905.jpeg

Mechanically it seems pretty solid. Everything is the engine compartment seems like it is there with nothing missing. Some critter has been living under the hood and it really stinks, but I don't think it would take much to get the engine running. I turned it over about a half a turn using the belt and pulley.
1708799783766.jpeg

BOTH headlight trim pieces are missing and I understand that they about as rare as hen's teeth (that's probably why they're missing in the first place). I will start a thread looking for some.
1708799932722.jpeg

The car turned out be everything that it was promised to be and more. Now, I just need to be patient and wait on the state to do the title thing.

1708800108569.jpeg

Last edited:
I told him I would be back with cash and a trailer whenever he gets the title.

Something had been living in the engine compartment so there is all sorts of nesting material in there.

1708806329047.jpeg

And the other side
1708806365164.jpeg

Welcome to the club. How nice of headlight trim do you want? I know where there are a number of them but they all need some TLC and straightening. Any question just ask. I know every nut and bolt on these...

DSC_0110.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a crappy picture but it's the best I can do until I see the car.

View attachment 1716190014

I talked to my friend today and he said that the first time he went to look at it, the garage door broke and wouldn't close. The company that repairs garage doors said that they couldn't fix it with the car in the way. So my friend went back over and aired up the tires and pulled it out using his truck. They put it under a carport for a couple of days and then moved it back inside when the garage door was repaired. He took a couple more pics then.

View attachment 1716190017

View attachment 1716190021
Looks like a great project to start off with. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I just love that red interior. Looks awesome!

It looks as if she needs a good bath and some compressed air to do away with the mouse condos. LMAO

I plan on putting on some rubber gloves and going at that engine compartment with a shop vac first. There's some pretty nasty **** (literally) under the hood. I'd like to wash everything by hand after taking some pictures of it in the sun.

I've never seen that canister before that seems to be hanging off the side of the starter. Someone said it was a transmission filter.

Just be patient on the title, the state is just going to check if there is any leans on the property etc.
It took me a month or so to get a title from a widow, her husband passed, but he never titled the car, but he did have the foresight to have the title notorized in 1976, I bought the car in 2017. 70 Cuda 340 4-speed.

-
Back