Going to cut axle tubes

-

Nitro-green

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if anyone on here can help me out with a bit of info ? I have a 71 Plymouth Duster which I have done a mini tub job and now I'm looking at putting axles in. I'm thinking of cutting my rear end since I have also moved my spings under the frame ( rear rails ) The rear end I'm useing is a 8 3/4 and was wondering how much to cut off the axle tubes and how much shorter does the axles have to be when I order them ? Is there a way to measure this or a formula for this answer ?

Thanks for any advice and help:cheers:

If you allready have an A body rear,? I would just consider a wheel with the backspaceing you need. Lotta poop to go through narrowing a rear:bootysha:pun intended8)

If you have an A body 8 3/4 leave it as is and get tires and rims that will fill your wheel wells. You should be able to get 315s in there with room to spare, 325s are a bit tricky.
Andrew

Narrowing your rear only needs to be done if the tire wheel combination is wider than you can fit in your fender with out rubbing the outer fender, and you don't want to cut wheel well opening or you don't want tires sticking out. Even then you may still need to trim fender well opening.
It's all a matter of how wide your fender well is, the back spacing of the wheel and the tire diameter and section width.

I just went through this and am having a narrowed Dana 60 built right now, so you know what side I'm going to take.

I just recently did a mini-tub and spring relocate on my 67 Dart. With a stock width rear end, I would have had to run a wheel with 7.5 inches of backspacing in order to fit a 10 inch wheel in there (think late model Mustang). I have to run no more than 3.5 inches of back spacing for the disc brakes I chose, and the only way to achieve this was to shorten the rear end by 4 inches each side. I sold my stock 8 3/4 to help finance the Dana.

is it possible to have to much backing space of the rim? Does it affect it in any way?

-
Back