good 318 combo

-

hamsterhats

Reaction score
i have decided, due to money to limit my budget. I was planning the 391 stroker but simply cannot afford it. My plan is to use the iron heads, change cam, lifter and rockers and do a .030 overbore. I need help with cam selection and piston type. Here is the rebuild kit that i was planning
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-CSMHP808-300/
I had choices of rod bearing undersize(.010, .020, .030) and main bearing undersize(.010,.020.,030) I don't know what this means? What pistons? flat or domed? In a cam, i want a rough idle. Should i do dual or single plane mani?

I know this doesn't have one solution, but any help would be appreciated!

i have decided, due to money to limit my budget. I was planning the 391 stroker but simply cannot afford it. My plan is to use the iron heads, change cam, lifter and rockers and do a .030 overbore. I need help with cam selection and piston type. Here is the rebuild kit that i was planning
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-CSMHP808-300/
I had choices of rod bearing undersize(.010, .020, .030) and main bearing undersize(.010,.020.,030) I don't know what this means? What pistons? flat or domed? In a cam, i want a rough idle. Should i do dual or single plane mani?

I know this doesn't have one solution, but any help would be appreciated!

As far as the bearings you need to take your crank to the machine shop and see if it needs to be cut,if so the .010..020,.030 will be what you'll need for undersized bearings..are you using the 318 heads then i'd go with flat top pistons,don't go to crazy on the cam a friend of mine is running the comp. cam .477/.477 with good results,as for intake a Edelbrock performer with the smaller ports for 318 heads should work fine and something like a 600 carb. would be nice..

Cool, I am using the 318 heads. I was just going to order everything and have the machine shop assemble the short block. So I have to take the crank out and have it looked at to see if I need undersized bearings before I order anything? On the cam, I see advertiseD duration, like 292. How do I choose. Also, a valve wasn't seating when the car was running, so I assume new valves springs and rockers? Anything I should know here?

if your going to spend the money on a rebuild why not start with a 360 block? you will get a lot more bang for your buck A LOT MORE and 360 blocks are cheap at the junk yards in pickups and vans that way you can leave the 318 in the car while your rebuilding the 360
what ever way you choose to go you are going to have to have to have the crank checked to see what size bearings you need to order standard or undersized .010, .020, refers to how much the machine shop has to cut the crank in order to make the bearing surface perfect if you cut .010 inch off the surface you need to use a .010 inch thicker bearing (under size refers to the under sized crank surface so an under size bearing is actually thicker) you also need to have the block checked to see what size pistons you need to order

Cool, thank you. I have a desire to use the 318, I am set on it. So I should take the heads and block to the shop and go from there?

I will take it in on Tuesday and go from there, thanks!

know how you feel I wouldn't trade my 318 for a 360 either, a set of magnum heads and an airgap intake (or the crosswind knock off) will work really well on your 318 better than your stock heads

Don't know where to get magnum heads! Was just going to use stock then upgrade to eddies later.

Im using the lunati voodoo cam in my .030 318,with home ported 302 casting heads,and i love it!The car pulls hard from idle to 6500 rpms and gets much better gas milage than a 360 would. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60303/ heres the listing at summit racing. http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1545&gid=287 here is the specs from lunati with the info you need on choosing.If you dont want to run a stall,you might want to step down to the next smaller size,wich would give you a little more bottom end for a daily driver.

I had 318 in a 66 cuda, pocket ported heads, small cam, rebuilt top end, with 4bbl intake holley 600 cfm carb, and electronic ignition. Car was consistant mid 14's in quarter mile. Was a good bracket car, not super fast but consistant. Ran 15.0 before work. Probbly close to 300 hp after work. Was moving toward 360 to get more hp. 318 is good consistant motor but never going to be a killer hp motor. My 65 cuda soon back on the road has similar rebuilt 318 set up ggod driver sounds good and not too bad on gas..

if your going to spend the money on a rebuild why not start with a 360 block?

Because he's useing a 318! Answer the question and not adding to his confused state by spending more of his money for him. What the heck? The question is a 318 question, just help!

What is wrong with a 318?
Why can't he use it?
MUST you wave a 360 in his face?
Does he have to be subjected to "WHY" questions?
Is there a problem with you with him useing what he has?
If so, why must he spend more money on something he has nothing for?

Hamsterhats, cam size should be based on the RPM your driving in. Give us a lil'help here by telling us what you want out of the engine/car.

Hamsterhats, Have you considered using the RHS heads? I also like the 318, I have one in my 68 barracuda. It runs amazingly well, and I rev that thing all day long haha....I'm waiting for it to break, but I really don't think it will. I can only imagine what a built 318 can do!

Ha! I really can't imagine what my stroker motor will do. I need to get on it!!

Because he's useing a 318! Answer the question and not adding to his confused state by spending more of his money for him. What the heck? The question is a 318 question, just help!

Why can't he use it?
because sometimes leaving a running engine in the car and rebuilding a second core is easier than having a non running car while the engine is at the machine shop getting rebuilt that way you dont have to rush to get it done so you can use the car, and you can get more performance from a 360 for the same dollar spent than from a 318 (but 318 are COOL!)

Why can't he use it?

to finish answering your question
because this is a public forum read by many people, some members some non members, all looking for answers not just the original poster,
because everyone reading this is smart enough to make there own decisions,
because information and options are ALWAYS a good thing

That rebuild kit you have listed is not going to leave you with much compression, with stock 318 heads it looks like you would be looking at 9:1 max. That is because the compression height of the pistons is stock so the deck clearance is huge. KB Pistons makes flat top pistons with raised comp height to fix that low compression problem so if you want to make some real power out of your 318 I suggest that route. That said if you are just building a cruiser and want 9:1 compression then I would run a cam like http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-20-222-3/ or http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-20-222-3/ or http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60402/ or the cam tobysoldblue recommended.

And like 65cudalover said you would be looking at 260-280Hp and mid 14s. You choices on heads will be limited though because of the compression problem. I am in a similar boat to you, so I can give you some advise, I am going to build my bottom end first and run 318 heads for awhile like you because my budget is limited. I have done quite a lot of research and even though I only plan for 300Hp right now I want to be 400+Hp capable later so I am going to get as close as I can to 0 Deck clearance, this is really important in smaller cubic inch engines in order to make any power. But it does come at a hefty price

I am eventually doing the 318-391 stroker.I think Kieth black makes a piston to help with the zero deck.

Now, can I use a caliper to measure bore so I don't have to take the block to Mach shop twice? So let me summarize my understanding. I want zero deck which will increase compression yielding more power. The pistons have to be special so that they are not in the hole too far. I had some valve issues, so I should just have the heads re done by the shop. When it comes to rockers, should I get roller and a flat tapper cam? Or just use factory rockers. With rockers I have seen 1.5, .6 etc. Anything I should know here?

to finish answering your question
because this is a public forum read by many people, some members some non members, all looking for answers not just the original poster,
because everyone reading this is smart enough to make there own decisions,
because information and options are ALWAYS a good thing

Members or not, answering the question instead of asking why don't you questions is what the forum is for. I'm sure that he's smart and can make his own mind up on what he wants to build, OH! WEiat, he did, it's a

318!!!!

And from the get go even. O My freaking GOD!

I'm sure you have read though this forum to know that there are many threads on building a 360 and...OMG! LOOK! Swaping a 318 for a 360!
Even 1 or 2 on doing a 318-390 stroker! HOLY COW!

Infomation is , well, all over this forum. Take a look eagle eye!

Now, can I use a caliper to measure bore so I don't have to take the block to Mach shop twice? So let me summarize my understanding. I want zero deck which will increase compression yielding more power. The pistons have to be special so that they are not in the hole too far. I had some valve issues, so I should just have the heads re done by the shop. When it comes to rockers, should I get roller and a flat tapper cam? Or just use factory rockers. With rockers I have seen 1.5, .6 etc. Anything I should know here?

On the caliper, let the machinest do that and any overbore work that may be needed.

Step one;

Give the machinest the block, tell him you want it hot tanked (Cleaned) and bored over if needed with a torque plate/hone plate. Then have him install cam bearings, unless you want that chore. The tool is $300 to install the bearings by the way. At the same time (If money allows) give him the crank. If it needs to be machined, he'll do so and then tell you what he did so you can order bearings.

Step 2;

From there, when you call Summit racing up to place your order for the kit you listed in the first post, just simply tell him your info that you have gotten from your machinest on the overbore and crank bearing sizes. (standard, .010-.020 oversized bearings.)

Also, when your ordering the kit, ask him to sub out the pistons in the kit for a set of what ever you want. As suggested above, theres zero deck KB pistons available for the 318. Have Summit place those in the kit instead of the stock one. Or whatever piston you chose.

Step3;

Once you get everything from Summit racing, give it to the machinest so he can have it balanced, a step you can not afford to miss. This will ensure a some long lasting and running engine.

Step4;

If you want to assemble the engine yourself, go for it. I suggest a book to follow along with called, "How to rebuild your Small block MoPar"
It is very good and show most everything you'll need to know and do. I've built my first and just finished my last engine with this book as a guide. Never a problem.

OR

Pay the piper to assemble it for you. While it'll cost a few bucks, it's just easier that way. I myself love to screw toghter a engine. I take a lil'pride in doing so and in the end, I can allways say, "I did it!"

hamsterhats Don't know where to get magnum heads! Was just going to use stock then upgrade to eddies later.

Theres a fella here that goes by the screen name, OU812. His name is Brain. He can get you the Indy RH head in the standard "LA" engine (Which you have) or in the Magnum version preped and ready to bolt on and go.

Just so you know, you can not re-use the pistons in a stroker. The piston height changes with the stroke being used. This makes the 390 stroker piston shorter. If you were to try and re-use the 318 piston in a stroker, the piston would pop out of the block, and crash into the head. Just a FYI.

Good luck.

Members or not, answering the question instead of asking why don't you questions is what the forum is for. I'm sure that he's smart and can make his own mind up on what he wants to build, OH! WEiat, he did, it's a

318!!!!

And from the get go even. O My freaking GOD!

I'm sure you have read though this forum to know that there are many threads on building a 360 and...OMG! LOOK! Swaping a 318 for a 360!
Even 1 or 2 on doing a 318-390 stroker! HOLY COW!

Infomation is , well, all over this forum. Take a look eagle eye!

first of all he said he wants a stroker but it is out of his budget so a 360 is a good alternative for anyone in the same position dont you think?

-
Back