Good cam for 318?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I am changing the engine this winter, but in the mean time I thought I could spend an afternoon and give my current motor a little more zip and a nice lope. I know there will be a ton of different opinions, but here is what I have. Bear in mind I want low end power / torque and a nice sound would be bonus.

318, supposedly with a light cam
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold
Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb
Hooker competition headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust
stock 904 tranny
Dana 60 with 4.10 gears

There was another thread similar to this a while back and it seems to me the most recommended was a Comp Cam 268H. Can't remember for sure, though. Ideas? Opinions?

While that is a popular cam with a nice idle, the main issue is probably more towards what you want from the car. Knowing this, has more to do with a cam recomendation. I wouldn't really go with a larger cam than that unless your 318 has some compresion and a decent head to work with/work done to the head. (The stock one can go far. Ported)

I'd use that cam.

I'll vote it to work better with a stock head. That extra exhaust will help itbreath real well. Good mention Marcelo.

I ran the stock 340 purple cam (.430I/.444E lift, 268I/276E duration). with 9.5:1 CR and 360 heads, ran real nice. Not sure for 318 heads.

For a little romp, the older Comp High Energy 268H will do that too.

I find this thread interesting since i am in the same boat... I have a 318 tat i want to sound good, its a stock motor and i love the choppy idle sound... looking for more low end than top end........ came across this at allpar.....
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/4bbl.html

Anything from a an XE252H to XE268H or equivalent is a decent choice for a lightly hopped up 318. Without a converter in the 2500+ range, I'd choose something to the smaller side of the range. Limit the intake duration to about 225 at .050 and you should have a decent, solid runner. More converter = more potential camshaft

The all par article is good, except they talk about lift, when it's really duration that plays a bigger part. Lift is good.... The faster rate cams today have more lift at same durations.

Very true. Years back, the lift spoken about was through MoPar eyes w/ there cams or Crane cams, which also have a low liftting set of cams until you get into the "BIG cam" area, which should be read as "Race cam".

The duration dictates the RPM it is all going to operate in. Of course, a bigger stroke engine will have a lower ceiling of operation over the short stroke, but, thats not a 318. The topic here.

Cracked is right.

I should have mentioned I have a 2800 stall as well. It sound like the XE268H is going to be a good choice. I think I will order one and give it a try. As my kids tell me ... it's only money, daddy. You'll make more.

Wise children. I agree, once the bills are paid, who cares !!!!!!!!!

Knowing the stall would help alot, LOL.
Also the rear gear, intended useage...etc.... all help in this area.

I think you'll like the cam.

-
Back