Good Oil Filter Relocation Kit?

-

65Valiant310

Reaction score
Im looking for the most recommended oil filter relocation kit. Lots are around 40-65, yet I think stainless braided lines would best, rather than the rubber supplied in the aforementioned kits.

Oh, I ask because I have a 90 degree adapter, but heard that unit restricts flow pretty badly

Ummmmm, I don't know about that 90* oil part restricting oil flow since racers have been trashing there MoPars with it on as needed equipment (Due to header restrictions mandating there use) for 40 years and running.

Ya might wanna think twice on that one.

The 90* seems to work fine as long as you have high flow fittings. I installed an Amsoil Bypass kit with an oil cooler on my Dart, but it just proved too much. Oil would drain back from the kit (mounted up on the fender by the alternator) back into the pan. If it sat for more than a day it would drain off the lines, and when it started it would clatter for 5+ seconds until the kit got pressurized again.

In the end I stripped it off and stuck with a stock sized filter, although I run Amsoil high-zinc 10W-40 with their EAO42 oil filter.

When looking keep this in mind. Most hoses supplied with kits are called 1/2". That is the i.d. of them and is sufficient. The problem comes in where most adapter fittings supplied only have a 7/16" i.d. That's a restriction. I installed a Perma-cool relocation kit on my Cuda and noticed right away the oil pressure dropped 5-8 lbs. After looking it over good I determined it was because of the fittings. Since they can't be drilled out to 1/2" i.d. the next step was to use 5/8 hoses and fittings as those fittings have a true 1/2" i.d. My oil pressure is now back where it was with just the filter installed right onto the block. Oh and good rubber hose is just fine. After all stainless braided hose has rubber internals. Stainless just looks better and if it's in an area that may rub something will last much better.

And drain back isn't a problem if you use a filter with a anti-drain back valve. I never have a problem with mine and it's mounted on the fender. A few lifters will rattle for a few seconds on start up after it's set for a couple days but that's just the lifters draining down from the high spring pressure.

One last thing is the 90 degree adapter is just fine if you port it. It's drilled internally and where the drilling intersects it isn't the smoothest. Use a long carbide cutter to reach down in there and clean up the sharp edges and it flows just fine.

hmm...ok thanks all for the info...I will try my 90 degree adapter after all and see if i develop any oil leaks after a few weeks of driving.
Does it matter what direction the adapter points? Filter pointed towards the back of the car, or towards the ground, etc?
Thanks

hmm...ok thanks all for the info...I will try my 90 degree adapter after all and see if i develop any oil leaks after a few weeks of driving.
Does it matter what direction the adapter points? Filter pointed towards the back of the car, or towards the ground, etc?
Thanks

I won't guarantee it won't leak. I've seen quite a few posts about them leaking. My post was in response to your question about it restricting flow. Doesn't matter what way the filter points but if you can angle it down at least some it'll help with any drain back issues if you get a filter without an anti drain back valve.

Doesn't matter what way the filter points but if you can angle it down at least some it'll help with any drain back issues if you get a filter without an anti drain back valve.

I'd also try to get the filter as vertical as possible in order to minimize any spilling of old oil when you change filters. A horizontal filter is going to spill a bunch of oil as you're spinning it off.

If you must go to an external filter do it according to the mopar engine book, tap the side of the block and use fittings, dont use the spin on adapters it will choke the oil flow

-
Back