good penetrating oil?

-

53ryder

Reaction score
Working on trying to get the alternator of my son's '94 Ranger pick-up. Have 2 of 3 bolts off. This third bolt is in a pain-in-the-butt location. Cannot get a regular socket on it because of minimal clearance (frame in the way). Can get a 1/2 open ended wrench on it but the bolt is so locked into place that the wrench is starting to strip. Have been using WD-40 on the bolt to try and loosen things up. Is there a better brand of penetrating oil/fluid I could use?

Would like to get the alternator off myself but will take to my local mechanic if I can't get this last bolt off. Any ideas?

Glenn

WD 40 isn't really for getting into rusted threads. Try deep creep or PB Blaster. There are others that should work for you. Usually the alternator bolts aren't that difficult,just a little tight and sometimes hard to get to. Tapping gently on the head of the bolt will help the oil to penetrate into the threads. I like to spray them and let them sit overnite if possible. I am unfamiliar with Rangers, so I don't know if you are dealing with a bolt that goes into the block, or maybe it has a nut on the other side. If they are nuts and bolts a lot of times I will just try to break them off and re-assemble with new fasteners.

I was having problems removing a rusted on turbine housing and i tried all the major brands and wasn't having any luck even used hear so i did some net search and trans fluid ended up doing the trick some say mix with mineral sprites and out in a spray bottle
Just me 2 cents

One of my cruisin magazines I get had a short article on penetrating oils.

The results were reprinted from Machinists Workshop Magazine on how
much torque was required to remove a nut from a "scientifically rusted" enenvironment.

No oil.......516 pounds
WD-40.....238 pounds
PB Blaster....214 pounds
Liquid wrench...127 pounds
Kano Kroil........106 pounds
50/50 mix of ATF & Acetone...53 pounds

Never tried it myself, just passing it along.

Thanks all! I'll give PB Blaster a try first and get back on my results! Don't have a torch.....yet.

Glenn

Kroil is some really awesome stuff, if you cant find that PB Blaster is pretty good too.

these products mentioned are good but the best we found working around salt water is kleen flo diesel fuel conditioner

Pb Blaster for me and a small torch with map gas works real well most hard ware stores have them for 50 bucks.

+1! I Use Aero-Kroil in the Orange can. This is the best I have ever seen.

I've used Kroil for some time now and I agree, it's the best. Don't think it's sold over the counter though. I always ordered mine through work.

I have used both Liquid Wrench and PB Blaster with great results!

images
images

Kroil for sure, machinst next door turned me on to it, and he's right, no better out there..

another trick I use now and again, to remove rusted/ stuck bolts is to heat up the surounding area, and then touch some parafin wax to the bolt threads. It melts and creeps into the threads and while hot, it lubricates the threads and bolts come out much easier.

Pb Blaster for me and a small torch with map gas works real well most hard ware stores have them for 50 bucks.

Looked at a Benzomatic Micro Torch for $33 at my local True Value. If I used it on this stubborn bolt I would just try and heat up the bolt head, of course trying my best not to ignite anything else. How hot should I get the bolt head? Till it's glowing red? Or somewhere's short of that? Try and wrench it out before it totally cools? Never used a torch before but willing to give it a try. Have to start somewheres!

Glenn

Looked at a Benzomatic Micro Torch for $33 at my local True Value. If I used it on this stubborn bolt I would just try and heat up the bolt head, of course trying my best not to ignite anything else. How hot should I get the bolt head? Till it's glowing red? Or somewhere's short of that? Try and wrench it out before it totally cools? Never used a torch before but willing to give it a try. Have to start somewheres!

Glenn

You want to heat around the bolt you are trying to remove. the heat causes the metal to expand.

As orangetwist said.you want to heat the metal around the bolt while keeping the bolt as cool as possible.Heat the surrounding area,not necessary to get it red hot,until it is very hot while shooting small quirts of the PB Blaster on the bolt to cool it and add penetration oil in the threads.If you can hit it with a hammer or a long extension and hammer it will help break it loose.

-
Back