good place to buy parts online

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
Where do you buy your stuff?

Im not talking hi perf stuff.Just day to day wear stuff like brake pads and ball joints

I buy what I can at my local auto parts stores like Advance, Autozone, Napa, and the oldest, privately owned ,continually operating, auto store in America, Hops Place. I like to keep my money going back into the local economy if I can but I do use Summit and Mancini when I want GO FAST stuff.

If Im looking for some part that any dumbass 17 yearold kid can pull up on a computer I will goto Shucks (Advance Auto Parts, Checker Auto Parts, Schuck's Auto Supply, Kragen Auto Parts and CSK Auto, they are all the same place) but before I go I goto www.partsamerica.com look up what I need, print out the page with the part number on it,(also tells you what store has the part in stock) bring it to the store and that will save a shitload of money.

For special parts or stuff that the 17 yearold wouldn't understand..."what do you mean you have 73 front brakes on your 70 dart?" I will goto the local parts house.

http://www.discountautoparts.com/

Go there. Looks rinky-dink, but i tried them out. On the ball joints, brake pads, and all that stuff that i bought from them. I saved about $90 vs PartsAmerica and free shipping over $x spent. I was happy with them, got Moog parts, raybestos pads and such...not cheap stuff

-Mike

Yup a Discount Auto Parts store near moms house has been there long as I can remember. Never got a wrong or bad part from them.
Back in the 80s when I first attempted late A disc brake conversion on 67 cuda, the lady there cross referenced all the suspension parts in books to help me figure out what was needed. I can remember her saying, "I would want a car that had belonged to you. I wouldn't know which parts to buy for it." Seems comical today.
I'll pick up little stuff like clamps and fluids from Awfulzone but my hard parts come from Discount or Carquest Auto Parts stores.

I've used Rock Auto, J.C. Whitney, NAPA, Pronto, Advance. Rock Auto seems to have good prices for on line. If it's something I need to compare with what I have I go local.

K nother question then.

Is there a big difference in quality of parts depending on brand/price?

I was looking around and noticed that lower ball joints for my disc brake swinger vary from 1 yr warantee and $56 spicer ea to lifetime warantee but $136 trw ea!!!

What would you buy?Whatever your budget allows?Or buy based on experience/reputation

Just for info, I ordered lower ball joints for my Barracuda from J.C. Whitney many years ago. When they arrived, a mechanic friend of mine said the instruction sheet was exactly like a MOOG instruction sheet, but without the MOOG name. Box was plain white. Don't remember about any part #'s.

I would buy better parts for your car and not the cheapest. Unless you are on some really strict budget. Even then, I'd try to go with something in the middle...not the cheap junk but not top of the line either. I mean, if you think about it, typically these old cars we own we want to keep for a long time, if always. If that is true for you too, then I'd stay away from the cheapest. That's my take on it anyhow.

I use Advance for online a lot, I bought all my front suspension parts from them online. It was one of the cheapest I found (but nothing really significant) and I got all TRW parts. AutoZone will help you in a pinch, as they more often will have something in stock now that the other big name parts stores. At least that's true in my case. I try to stay away from AZ though, for all the obvious reasons.

There is a local shop here that is really great too, they have knowledgeable people and nothing but good parts, they don't deal with the junk. They are usually a little more expensive but I'm fine with that in many cases. It's hard to find good mom and pop places anymore and likely someday, unfortunately, they'll all be gone. If there is a local small shop in your area, be sure to throw some business their way whenever you can.

I shoot for the middle. To my way of thinking, lowest price is lowest quality and most advertised, highest price brand name is just a marked up for the brand logos. In other words the NAPA rubber timing belt is the middle. It's a little higher priced than Awfulzones but likely is the same high quality part that a dealership offers without their mark up.

RedFish is right. Also If it is a part that will be under stress or something like a rotor don't EVER get the ones that are made in China. Step up and get the one thats made in Canada or the US. Better safe than sorry.

I saved up a little longer and got the name brand stuff. TRW is pretty good, i got Moog, check out that link i posted. pretty good prices on stuff..

Well i just checked with the local jobber parts store.Luckily my good friend was answering the phone!He has Moog lower balljoints in stock at $86 a piece.Not great but not bad either.Partsamerica wants $94 each.Add shipping into account if I order them over the net and I think it's a decent price.So thier on the way!

comparison shopping on the net is still a good idea though.Especially seeing as how our Canuck buck is worth pretty much the same as a U.S buck.

Thanks all!

Got em!!!!

The first pair arrived and I pulled em out of the box.Good thing.The threads were hammered on both,likely a return that another parts guy didnt catch.

Had to wait a couple more days but the ones I got today are perfect.And my buddy knocked em down to $76 ea for the delay!!

Moog must replace only the ball joint socket as the ball joint itself looks used?

Moog, spicer & maybe TRW are the same parts now (jsut different boxes). All of Napa's chassis parts are supplied by spicer now. I bought all spicer professional grade parts for my dart due to being the same parts as moog for less money.

Rock auto is a great place to deal with. My nieghbor owns the local napa & he couldn't beat rock auto's prices. If you call rock auto ask for Jeff as he is a mopar guy & is pretty knowlegable with what's what.

I just wanted to add that Im kinda glad I did the order local now.If I had ordered via internet and gotten ball joints with hammered threads,Id have to pay to ship em back,then maybe pay shipping to me again...

-
Back