Good Quality ball And Trunnion Boot

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests, who sells a GOOD quality ball and trunnion boot for the early A body?

Thank you drive through.

Check & see if Precision, as in Precision U joint still makes them. Back in the day, those were the only ones to use.

I actually found a new one in a box of crap I had on the shelf so I put that one on it. Thanks, yall. I will investigate the Precision one. There's also a thread over on the .org site talkin about some kinda universal one working that needs trimming up. I ain't real hot on that.

Hey @RustyRatRod What Grease would You use to put one back together?
That Stuff Looks like Mollasses and Nothing that I have is even close...
I don't wanna put Red Hi-Temp in there and have it Sling Out.

Hey @RustyRatRod What Grease would You use to put one back together?
That Stuff Looks like Mollasses and Nothing that I have is even close...
I don't wanna put Red Hi-Temp in there and have it Sling Out.
I used regular high temp wheel bearing grease.

One More... I've Failed to Press the Pin out.
The Pressure bothered me, so I flipped it over and tried the Other direction. Thought it might Explode in my press So, I backed off.
Should I try Heat? Propane?/MAP Gas???

I never heat them. They ARE a press fit and it's normal for them to be pretty tough to get that first "pop" of movement, but once done, they come on out.

I actually found a new one in a box of crap I had on the shelf so I put that one on it. Thanks, yall. I will investigate the Precision one. There's also a thread over on the .org site talkin about some kinda universal one working that needs trimming up. I ain't real hot on that.

I wouldn't be surprised if a modern CV joint boot could be found to fit .
Be aware of the buncha selective fit shims under the ball and "cap" to center the trunnion to prevent vibration .

I wouldn't be surprised if a modern CV joint boot could be found to fit .
Be aware of the buncha selective fit shims under the ball and "cap" to center the trunnion to prevent vibration .
I use a machinist's rule and get the trunnion pin right in the center. Never had a vibration yet.

Mine was off .007 center to center, checked with a caliper. I'll try to get it closer.

Mine was off .007 center to center, checked with a caliper. I'll try to get it closer.

I am not absolutely sure, but if iirc, the selective shims are used to make the "caps" ends equidistance from the pin, thus centering the trunnion.
If I remember, the pin is terribly hard to center, as it "jumps" as pressed .
Good luck .

One More... I've Failed to Press the Pin out.
The Pressure bothered me, so I flipped it over and tried the Other direction. Thought it might Explode in my press So, I backed off.
Should I try Heat? Propane?/MAP Gas???
Last fall my 64 Bel trunion had failed...bad. Some PO had been in there and left the balls out. ha So I call 3 old time driveline shops, all the old techs said we are NOT touching the damn thing!!! I do know the pin is pressed out and the new pin has to be pressed in EXACT.
I had a conversion shaft made with the old tube.

I answer RRR question, seems like years ago people were using some sort of old VW boot?????

Or... was not the kit used on the 62 same as older 50s cars used????? You might look up Mopar parts guys dealing with 40s 50s stuff. They might sell the boot separate?? I can't recall the name.

Last fall my 64 Bel trunion had failed...bad. Some PO had been in there and left the balls out. ha So I call 3 old time driveline shops, all the old techs said we are NOT touching the damn thing!!! I do know the pin is pressed out and the new pin has to be pressed in EXACT.
I had a conversion shaft made with the old tube.

I answer RRR question, seems like years ago people were using some sort of old VW boot?????

Or... was not the kit used on the 62 same as older 50s cars used????? You might look up Mopar parts guys dealing with 40s 50s stuff. They might sell the boot separate?? I can't recall the name.

Wow... throwback thread. Cool. :thumbsup:

This is the "kit" i went with. I did not replace the pin for those reasons. A bit of a challenge getting the boot down through but using some lengths of coated wire, worked it into place. No issues with it back on the car.

1963 1964 1965 brand new Valiant, Lancer, Dart Universal Joint Repair Kit MoPar | eBay

Wow... throwback thread. Cool. :thumbsup:

This is the "kit" i went with. I did not replace the pin for those reasons. A bit of a challenge getting the boot down through but using some lengths of coated wire, worked it into place. No issues with it back on the car.

1963 1964 1965 brand new Valiant, Lancer, Dart Universal Joint Repair Kit MoPar | eBay
RRR just needs a boot! Yea getting that friggin boot thru the trunion is a b****!

I Godnitended me to work on Mopar :poke: PB cable shift trans and ball and trunions he would have made me a real mechanic with PATIENCE! :BangHead: :steering:

-
Back