Good Table Manners

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
Do you have good table manners? Check out this old video......."Oh boy...Ham!!!" LOL

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA5y3wEJ7pA"]Good Table Manners (1951) - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks Keith, bad acting and all but it never hurts to have good table manners. Sadly a lot of people had no one teach them, I see it every day in the 'upscale' restaurant where I work.

One thing about the place setting in the video, for every fork there should be a knife...

Did you know it is proper to eat asparagus with your fingers?

i hate eating at formal dinners with multiple forks and when you have to put your napkin on your lap and everything has to be perfect ....no slurping your soup....with your best clothes on...that you worry about spilling something on.
my cousin works for the Federal Government and i went with him a few times to formal dinners with foreign diplomats and all that...fancy schmancy

i would rather stay home and eat a nice sammich in my kitchen with my hands and slurp my soup and burp when im done .....nothing like eating a nice dinner alone in your kitchen in your work clothes.

i hate eating at formal dinners with multiple forks and when you have to put your napkin on your lap and everything has to be perfect ....no slurping your soup....with your best clothes on...that you worry about spilling something on.
my cousin works for the Federal Government and i went with him a few times to formal dinners with foreign diplomats and all that...fancy schmancy

i would rather stay home and eat a nice sammich in my kitchen with my hands and slurp my soup and burp when im done .....nothing like eating a nice dinner alone in your kitchen in your work clothes.

And the worse thing is you know everyone else feels the same as you, not even comfortable eating in a formal setting...the whole act of eating is in its very nature barbaric and meant to be enjoyed. Least that's my take on it.

I don't have good table manners and don't care what anybody else thinks.....and my name's not Chuck:D.

Just another of society's imaginary problems. The whole point of sitting at the table is to shove groceries down your neck so you can make a turd. There should be as many guidelines on packing it in as there are on getting rid of it.

I remember shorts like this one. LOL.

For all the pomp and circumstance that surrounds a formal dinner, I admit that I enjoy them. Mind you, I can't do too many in a short time span. Some of the best kitchen creations I've ever tasted came from these dinners.

IMO, good table manners are not a way to be pretentious or condescending, but rather a way I can show respect to my guests and be more attentive to them.

Good manners just boils down to having regard for the people around you, it's not focused on using the right fork and being snobby. No one wants to see the food in our mouth, that's why we chew with our mouth closed and don't talk with our mouth full. A lot of business deals are conducted during dinner meetings. If someone knows enough to pick up the bread basket, offer a piece to the person on his left, then pass it around to the right, the business discussion can flow uninterrupted better than if everyone is just grabbing for the bread basket. Put your napkin in your lap, how hard is that? In a competitive job market, the boss is going to hire the person who has basic manners.

Imagine a golf game, where nobody took turns, and grabbed each other's clubs, etc? It wouldn't work very well, would it?

i hate eating at formal dinners with multiple forks and when you have to put your napkin on your lap and everything has to be perfect ....no slurping your soup....with your best clothes on...that you worry about spilling something on..

Heck, Rani, I figured you were a regular debutante, LOL

I can see that we "eat alike."

Now I DO take my hat off at the table, and by that I don't mean "turn around backwards LOL" I try not to slurp my soup or drinks.

BUT. I'm just as likely to grab "any" fork as the "proper" fork

Another thing that gripes my *** is all these "cooking" shows that worry way too much about (gag) "presentation" while NOT "presenting" any actual food

THIS for example is NOT food:

tools-food-garnishes-1.1-800x800.jpg

Neither is this:

garnishing-techniques-800x800.jpg

If any waitsperson ever brought me the likes of this, I might be tempted to do violence

NYC+Nov+2009+052.JPG

This is my idea of a girlfriend who's "dressed for dinner"

audrina3.jpg

-
Back