Goodbye Crane Flat Tappet. I hardly knew ye.

-
You know what they say. Loose lips zinc ships.

^^lol^^

Side note...hey CaptainKirk, do you ever make it over to Cordova? I pretty much grew up there at the track. My father still runs there as well as my daughter. If you make it over this year, stop by and shoot the **** with my pops, he's an old school Mopar guy, he's got a white 67' Dart he runs nostalgia with, and 2 71' Dusters, one Sassy Grass green and one black.
Kofron Racing on the rear quarters. He's still out tearing it up at 72!
Actually, I never even heard of Cordova!
Whereabouts?

Wow! I was the first to respond to this thread. Just came back a couple days later and who would have thought it would bring so much drama?! I forgot to mention, edelbrock head the way came, 1.6 rockers, voodoo flat tappet cam, broke in with Brad Penn break in oil. Running 2 years strong with no problems. I still run a synthetic blend by Brad Penn. I don't think the problem was heads,springs or rockers. Lack of zinc. Y'all all Crack me up!!

Been running the 318 teen with the comp 268 solid ,have run just under 10k in just over a year,Been using Joe Gibbs 15-40 conventional with Zinc Next change Switching to Syn with Zinc additive (Joe Gibbs).

Been running the 318 teen with the comp 268 solid ,have run just under 10k in just over a year,Been using Joe Gibbs 15-40 conventional with Zinc Next change Switching to Syn with Zinc additive (Joe Gibbs).

I would love to see, hear and DRIVE that! I bet it is snappy as heck with that small solid in it. That's a smart choice. Makes me almost wanna vomit when people start getting their little girl panties in a wad when recommending solid. Good for you!

Back to the OP, if I may;
Ive been running a Hughes 3237cam for about 10 years or so.I run their springs, and their lifters.And 1.6 roller tipped aluminum arms, from Chrysler.In the early years,I had shifter trouble and I would often miss shifts.I was too cheap to buy a rev limiter and reasoned that extra seat pressure and very little lifter preload would help to prevent lifter pump-up due to valve float. So that is what I did.My 360 is regularly shifted at 7200, and on missed shifts(years ago) has gone north of 8000.The engine never floats valves and the 3/8turn preload are working.
Previous to this cam I had a Hughes 2330 with the same 1.6s,but with Hughes recommended springs installed per their specs.That cam was 4 summers old when it started wiping lobes. It began right after an oilchange. Same oil I had always run. But now they had removed the zinc.Nobody told me.
So when I installed the new cam,I had to figure out why this happened, and thats when I discovered the zinc/ZDDP story. So in went the oil, plus one can of additive (GM dealer). Been installing the additive for 10 years now, and no more trouble.
Now heres the point;
I run whatever dyno oil is on sale now, with almost no regard for quality, and zero regard for specific brand. I run a 7qt pan and run only 5 qts in it.I run 10W30, because more than that balloons the oilfilter mounting plate and pisses oil onto the header, with attending smoke, and fire hazzard.
BTW; I fixed my shifter, and modded my box.I very rarely miss a shift anymore.
True story.
-----------------------
So quit speculating.
Install the ZDDP additive, and leave the synthetics for the rollercam boys.

I would love t see, hear and DRIVE that! I bet it is snappy as heck with that small solid in it. That's a smart choice. Makes me almost wanna vomit when people start getting their little girl panties in a wad when recommending solid. Good for you!

I said to you Rusty i will post a vid for you just got to pull my finger out and organize a friends go pro,i need to do it soon . yeah love the solid bump sticks,old skool !!

Back to the OP, if I may;
Ive been running a Hughes 3237cam for about 10 years or so.I run their springs, and their lifters.And 1.6 roller tipped aluminum arms, from Chrysler.In the early years,I had shifter trouble and I would often miss shifts.I was too cheap to buy a rev limiter and reasoned that extra seat pressure and very little lifter preload would help to prevent lifter pump-up due to valve float. So that is what I did.My 360 is regularly shifted at 7200, and on missed shifts(years ago) has gone north of 8000.The engine never floats valves and the 3/8turn preload are working.
Previous to this cam I had a Hughes 2330 with the same 1.6s,but with Hughes recommended springs installed per their specs.That cam was 4 summers old when it started wiping lobes. It began right after an oilchange. Same oil I had always run. But now they had removed the zinc.Nobody told me.
So when I installed the new cam,I had to figure out why this happened, and thats when I discovered the zinc/ZDDP story. So in went the oil, plus one can of additive (GM dealer). Been installing the additive for 10 years now, and no more trouble.
Now heres the point;
I run whatever dyno oil is on sale now, with almost no regard for quality, and zero regard for specific brand. I run a 7qt pan and run only 5 qts in it.I run 10W30, because more than that balloons the oilfilter mounting plate and pisses oil onto the header, with attending smoke, and fire hazzard.
BTW; I fixed my shifter, and modded my box.I very rarely miss a shift anymore.
True story.
-----------------------
So quit speculating.
Install the ZDDP additive, and leave the synthetics for the rollercam boys.

I use plane old Dino oil...Mobile 10w-30 from Walmart...and add ZDDP that I buy off of ebay....don't have problems with flat tappets....

as far as pissing oil out of the mounting plate...Canton makes a billet oil mounting plate that uses a O ring to seal it....can be bought from summit or jegs ...around 40 dollars..

Actually, I never even heard of Cordova!
Whereabouts?

Cordova is on the west side of Illinois, just north of the Quad Cities. Pretty historic track. They just went IHRA last year, they have several large events every year, along with the weekly bracket programs. You should check it out, good people there. The previous owner was Scott Gardner, the new president of the IHRA. He's pretty grass roots and I think he'll do a lot of good things for the sportsman racers in the IHRA.

-
Back