Goodbye Torqstorm, hello Spoolius Ceasar

-
Great to meet you and your wicked ride!

5C5FAB14-42DE-4124-BDC0-80E8D3DADAE7.jpeg

4A7EAE3A-5B9A-4645-91A9-D70F32571154.jpeg

How was the event? I didn’t make it out there.

Awesome. Really I’m interested in how both of you guys did drag racing.
I didn't do that great.. bunch of problems. Off the trailer it ran [email protected] With a 1.91 60ft lol I also lost brakes, glad it was only 1/8th mile.
2nd run was botched, I must've not tightened a bowl bolt fkr the carb. Leaned out hard and just putted down the track trying to keep it running.
Last run, 6.82@103 (1.66 60ft) breaking up and let off. Made 8.5psi, pulled haaarrrdddd. Gotta figure out the breaking up part.
Afr was 12.0 at wot (I wanted 11.4-11.8) it's possible it's spark plug or even timing related. More stuff to work on.

Apparently me running 235/60-15 drag radials was surprising to people.
FB_IMG_1679452335779.jpg

20230320_084835.jpg

IMG_4254.jpg

Sounds like you did great with a new combination. There’s always little bugs to work out. Congrats!!

235/60-15 is a teeny tiny little tire in that world.

I didn't do that great.. bunch of problems. Off the trailer it ran [email protected] With a 1.91 60ft lol I also lost brakes, glad it was only 1/8th mile.
2nd run was botched, I must've not tightened a bowl bolt fkr the carb. Leaned out hard and just putted down the track trying to keep it running.
Last run, 6.82@103 (1.66 60ft) breaking up and let off. Made 8.5psi, pulled haaarrrdddd. Gotta figure out the breaking up part.
Afr was 12.0 at wot (I wanted 11.4-11.8) it's possible it's spark plug or even timing related. More stuff to work on.

Apparently me running 235/60-15 drag radials was surprising to people.
View attachment 1716067272

View attachment 1716067273

View attachment 1716067274
Impressive times for the tire size.

6.82 on only 8.5psi and 235s?! Oh boy, it’s gonna fly when work the bugs out.

I personally like the fact that you ran 235s. I’m a small tire guy. It seems like every mopar guy thinks you need to put 30x9 or even bigger tires on to make a car go down the track and heaven forbid you run a radial. All those big tires are doing is masking problems from lack of suspension setup.

I personally like the fact that you ran 235s. I’m a small tire guy. It seems like every mopar guy thinks you need to put 30x9 or even bigger tires on to make a car go down the track and heaven forbid you run a radial. All those big tires are doing is masking problems from lack of suspension setup.
Until you actually race a small tire car. They work great until they don't. Its easy to watch all these small tire cars go down a perfectly prepared radial tire track and think its easy. Fact of the matter is most tracks aren’t prepared like that. So big tire cars dominate. This car in question is fast but would be a lot quicker with a transbrake. Then the 235 wont work. So he would have to turn it way down to make it down track. Putting back where he started.

Until you actually race a small tire car. They work great until they don't. Its easy to watch all these small tire cars go down a perfectly prepared radial tire track and think its easy. Fact of the matter is most tracks aren’t prepared like that. So big tire cars dominate. This car in question is fast but would be a lot quicker with a transbrake. Then the 235 wont work. So he would have to turn it way down to make it down track. Putting back where he started.
Exactly.. when I get the brake I don't think these 235s will do much with a boosted launch.

But it is fun seeing all the looks and comments about the small tires. Lol

Y’all must be in the wrong part of the country then. All our tracks around here prep good. Big tires are basically a thing of the past in our area. Only folks on bigs are old guys and bracket racers.

Y’all must be in the wrong part of the country then. All our tracks around here prep good. Big tires are basically a thing of the past in our area. Only folks on bigs are old guys and bracket racers.
The closest track to me is open one weekend a month from April to Sept. And about an hour away.

Any other track. Is 3 to 7hours one way. Local preps for slicks and old school bracket guys.. I'm staying small tire either way. Just gotta pay more attention to my suspension.

Well I race all over the country. The only tracks I have seen where radials rule are the duck x productions or the 2k races. At Dragweek the radial guys are super cocky until they are a few days in and more than one track send them back to the keyboard to reduce power and us old guys pass them on the average.

Friday is the first test n tune/season opener at my local track.

Since Vegas I've been tuning the carburetor, found my boost reference power valve was partially hung up and the plunger didn't freely move. So I purchased an adjustable simple stage brpv.
I can say that now when I stomp it in 3rd at 60+mph it annihilates the tires, even at 7.1psi.
10.9 to 11.0afr (that I could see while trying to keep the car straight) 34° total timing, .5° pulled per psi after 2psi
Smooth acceleration, no more breakup or high rpm stumble.

This car is a blast to drive.

It almost feels like it's blowing through the converter, but I'm sure that will show itself on a prepped track.

It was definitely blowing through the converter or slipping. Ran a couple of 10.7 passes a couple weeks ago.
10.79@114 letting off at the 1000ft 9.3psi boost (dragy numbers are a little off from timeslip)
Screenshot_20230520_012808_dragy.jpg

10.74@126 7200rpm at the strip (3.55 gears) 10.4psi slipping hard shift light on the entire pass and couldn't hear the shift change.
Screenshot_20230520_004827_dragy.jpg

I ended up pulling a bunch of timing and getting to run on gate. Added a bit of fluid to the trans and bam, the converter seemed to couple. Short track was horrible. But mph is muey bueno for 7.4psi and 6000ft da. I guess next step is to see if adding the timing back has any effect on the converter (maybe it was just enough torque to make it not happy Or maybe it was just low on fluid?)
Screenshot_20230609_155121_dragy.jpg

And I wired up the 2 step in the msd box. Set to 3000rpm. Tested it out on foot brake and hot damn it builds boost. Wish I did that at the track.

Great mph on that last run. How much fluid did you add?
How much timing are you running?

Great mph on that last run. How much fluid did you add?
How much timing are you running?
That run, 30° total, pulling .5° per psi after 2psi. Normally 34° with the same retard for boost.

Maybe 1/2 a quart. Maybe a little more. I was adding to check the stick from a gallon jug. It didn't slip like most trans slip when low. Maybe the converter didn't fill up? I don't know, but I'll find out next track day if it couple's and works.

The engine may like the lower timing better. The higher mph with lower timing might not be JUST the converter coupling. Any chance you have a comparison of the spark plugs before and after the timing change?

The engine may like the lower timing better. The higher mph with lower timing might not be JUST the converter coupling. Any chance you have a comparison of the spark plugs before and after the timing change?
I didn't have fresh ones. But they look almost identical aside from the timing mark change. I've tested both timing changes on fresh sets before. Which is why I chose the 4° change. It will probably stay there as it seems to be happier over all with less timing. 32 was it's happy spot NA.
Not sure why I set it to 34 I don't remember what I was testing. Lol

And I could feel the gear change. As if it was working properly. But that may not have anything to do with the timing and could be the fact I added a Bit of fluid. I'm still stoked it did 131 with 7 psi. Lol

-
Back