Got a new Truck (new to me)

-
Yes. I don’t remember the exact details of the fitting we connected the fuel hose to in place of the stock pump but I do remember that we made it work! The sending unit has a large spiraled coil of 5/16 tubing that goes to the bottom of cartridge for a TBI return. It’s useful if you’re going to put a big external electric pump and a bypass regulator. There’s also a rollover/ vent valve built into the fuel pump cartridge assembly, too.

Last edited:
You can take the TBI pump out of the modular assembly that drops into the tank and plumb a piece of fuel line in its place to drop into the bottom of the well of unit. Add a sock filter to the bottom. Helped do this before on several of the TBI trucks.
PHR Sock Filter With 3/8 Barb Fitting

The sending unit for fuel level is the issue.

Are you needing to replace the fuel level sending unit in your stock cartridge assembly?

the center hub bores are to small , even if that 5 1/2 bc was on a ford pu's for years . but dodge had to make it their's i guess . my 200s's had to be bored out and even bridged through the hub flats between the spokes , that's not an issue . i've seen that on many rims i've run without issues , even under a loaded pu . and the 200s has a long small cap snout , and of course it's just to close to that disc brake rotor snout in dia , so i did a ''no , no'' in modifying . of a replacement type part , i turned down the snout on the rotors , at least i bought new rotors and turn them , so at least i'll get the full life out of a new part before i end up replacing them , and having to turn down the snouts of the replacements . that is if i can still buy 15'' rubber for these vintage rims .

DSC01979.JPG

People wonder why we want to go back to the old School technology and get our cars to run simple and run right.

Here is the Fuel Pump conglometation out of the in the tank fuel pump on the '89 Truck. (throttle body injection setup)

Looks like an old time Whiskey Still.

20240222_192607.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

When it can easily be a simple draw tube and float gas gauge like this:

s-l960.jpg

Shi(p) Can all the TBI stuff and go to an in the block manual fuel pump and head on down the road with an Edelbrock 4 barrel with Secondaries.

Simple is good, Let the Fun begin.

☆☆☆☆☆

i've thought about dropping a 340 727 in mine , just need a smog free tittle and it could happen .

DSC03341.JPG

"^^^ had to modify the rims to fit those giant hubs on the truck."
_________

I have to kind of chuckle as I am jumping through hoops trying to come up with 15" American Racing Wheels that are going to fit the giant hubs and 5.5" wheel lug bolt pattern on the '89.

Large 3.5" center holes needed too.

My '76 was 4.5 bolt pattern so that was a simple bolt on and go.

This is the look ^^^ I wanted for the '89, but not with those big *** odd sized 5.5 axles and hubs. Looked into adapters to go from 5.5 down to 4.5, but now thinking against that, as I will want to do some towing from time to time.

Have decided to stay with the factory wheels, paint them white and then put the Large 10" dog dish hub caps on it like in this picture with new factory correct size tires to work with. These ^^^ stock wheels and caps will stand up to the Florida Salt Air and Rain better than the Aluminum Wheels, being 1 mile from the (salty) Atlantic Ocean with outdoor parking and all.

Will be a great simple truck to have ready to go down here, when I come down for the Winter season. Simple to work on should any minor fix need to be done.

☆☆☆☆☆
Would these work for you? 5 x 5-1/2 BC (I don't remember the width, sorry), stock aluminum Ford wheels on a '95 F150 4x4 I just stumbled across for cheap.

00c0c_hBMYMq21crb_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

I have two full sets of them actually, so if you think they'll work, feel free to drop me a PM.

Jim

Would these work for you? 5 x 5-1/2 BC (I don't remember the width, sorry), stock aluminum Ford wheels on a '95 F150 4x4 I just stumbled across for cheap.

View attachment 1716211103

I have two full sets of them actually, so if you think they'll work, feel free to drop me a PM.

Jim

Are those 15" or 16"? Guessing 16. Looking for 15".

Then the big hang up is they need to have the large 3 1/2" diameter center hole to fit the large 89 mopar axles and hubs.

Also need the 5.5 bolt pattern.

What size tires are on those in the picture?

Thanks

☆☆☆☆☆

Then the big hang up is they need to have the large 3 1/2" diameter center hole to fit the large 89 mopar axles and hubs.

Thanks

☆☆☆☆☆

I just paid for the truck on Wednesday, but I haven't dragged/driven it home yet (New Hope to Zimmerman). I've been trying to wrangle-up a U-Haul Transporter for it for the last 2 days, but not a one to be had anywhere around here, for some damn reason.

Radius arm is almost rusted-through on the bottom (small rust hole in front of the large factory hole), so it's not all that safe to drive right now, but if I can't find a hauler to rent either today or tomorrow, I'll have my wife follow me in the F250 as I carefully take the back roads home late at night (no one else on the road).

00s0s_lGrsssKOKi8_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Either way, I should have more info, and direct access to the truck, by the end of the weekend, as the Seller wants to get this out of their driveway.

Jim

Did they drag that thing out of the lake?
I was thinking about a set similar to that for my 85 eventually but I want to move up to 16" because 15s are getting harder to find
I just have a set of wire out rollers on it for now, on the stock 15" Steelies

nice truck ! I am loking for a 1976 to 1977 ramchager to put mt 426 stroker in , with a 25 gallon tank will not have to fill every day . love those old dodge trucks had one for 13 years 700,000 miles went through engines and 2 transfer cases

Thanks

☆☆☆☆☆
Hauled the truck home last night...

IMG_5626.JPG

Cooper Discoverer H/T tires, 235/75R15, on Ford 15" rims, 5.5" bolt circle. Tread looks good, but I didn't get a "Lincolns head" picture yet, sorry.

IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG

Wheels have a 3.5" center hub (actually it's just a hair larger)...

Only thing I can't get is the width, but I'm about 90% certain they're 7", based on what I'm finding online ('95 F150 4x4).

IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5633.JPG

This comes up all the time on the Ford truck forum (using Dodge wheels on Fords, and vice-versa), so this isn't new to me.

Truck runs great, but it's rustier than I thought, so I'll be parting it out soon. I will need to find a set of cheap take-offs for it (if the wheels sell before the drivetrain), so I can drive it around the yard for potential driveline purchasers...

Shoot me a PM if think you'd be interested in the wheels, otherwise I know I can sell them pretty quickly on the Ford site, or even on CL.

Jim

Did they drag that thing out of the lake?
I was thinking about a set similar to that for my 85 eventually but I want to move up to 16" because 15s are getting harder to find
I just have a set of wire out rollers on it for now, on the stock 15" Steelies
(LOL!) It looks like that, don't it? :lol:

This is the sh** we end-up with in MN, and one of the reasons I almost never buy a used vehicle in-state.

If you're serious about looking for some 15's, I have another set, but these are on a truck I actually need to use this spring and summer. I'll be parting this one out as well, either in the fall or over the winter, as it's starting to be less and less reliable:

IMG_5307.JPG

But the tires are good, with some pretty nice Michelin LT tires (6 ply?).

I see you're in Illinois, and I have a brother in Spring Grove that I visit every now and then, so if you think you may be interested in them, and aren't in a hurry, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Jim

I am pretty sure you can simply swap to earlier rotors to get the 4.5 bolt pattern on the front, with no modifications to the brakes. 82-85 rotors maybe? I would think you could do the same with axles and rear brakes. I'm putting an 8 3/4 from an early 70's truck under my 88, but I'm keeping the 5.5 bolt pattern. A few years ago, I got a pair of 8 3/4 truck axles with the 5.5 bolt pattern from @Righty Tighty and will just swap the brakes from the 9 1/4 I'm taking out. Same backing plates and offset. I'm having to go the other direction on the gas tank, to get one that will accept a pump compatible with the MPFI on the 5.9 Magnum going in. You may be able to just modify the tank you have by disabling the pump and straight piping a new pickup while leaving the gas gauge sender in place.
I found it easier to get truck driveline parts from the B series vans. All my "J" heads came from trucks and vans, 1971, 360's. I had to toss a lot of those parts when I moved 3 years ago, but did keep the heads. If I recall, the 3/4 HD B-Vans had the 8 3/4 rears, that would also fit the trucks and "B" bodies. a 1/2" wider.

Some recent improvements:

Screenshot_20240304-153914_Gallery.jpg

Straightened front bumper, Grille back in, Hub caps off my Ford Van. Shaping up.

Screenshot_20240304-154502_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Came in today the Edelbrock 4 barrel, New '69 era Points Distributor and 2 pole Ballast Resistor.

20240305_174350.jpg

20240305_173235.jpg

20240305_173604.jpg

TBI to 4 Barrel conversion, keeping it simple and reliable, and getting rid of a lot of unneeded clutter from on top of the engine.

Screenshot_20240305-074437_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Today was a great day:

Resized_20240306_180206_1775.jpeg

4 barrel on permanently now. Points Distributor in and engine timed, spark plug wires are now in the factory fireing order and layout.

Nice Carb, 1406 Edelbrock

☆☆☆☆☆

Show the all pretties up and painted shot!

(It makes the carb stand out more!)

How much rewiring do you have to do in order to ditch the TBI for a carb and electronic ignition? Get an old wiring diagram for the ignition and just do that? Does the old TBI brain over behind the battery have to stay hooked up to run other stuff? When I do the Magnum swap in my truck, I have every piece of under hood wiring, fuse box & computer. I have a wiring diagram to hook up the 4 or 5 wires on the Magnum stuff to make it run. I'm hoping the old TBI ECU doesn't do anything with stuff like heater/AC, lights, charging circuit, etc.

For myself on the ‘91 W-150 my son was driving, I wired in a MSD ready to go or you can do a MP Chrome box or the like. Let the OE distributor connection just hang there.

I also didn’t disconnect the OE computer. The wiring was backed up already for the injection. When I ran the carb, I used a Edelbrock fuel pressure regulator and made my own fuel lines to counting the return. EZ stuff.

-
Back