Got a question about a 489 suregrip that I just picked up.

-

rednesss

Reaction score
So my 68 Barracuda had a 741 case open set of 2.76 gears in it and I just bought a 489 case suregrip with 3.23 gears, what's supposed to be in the car according to the fender tag. So I pulled out my old center section, did some cleaning, and then installed the 489 case. Put my driver's side axle in and tightened it up, then put in my passenger side and then started to try and adjust the end play. I have the adjuster all the way in I think and the axle on the drivers side has a lot of end play on it still. I'm scratching my head. I don't remember looking, but if the button spacer in the middle is missing, is that going to mess up my world and cause this excessive end play?? And if so how would I remedy this situation?? Thanks.

So I was just doing some searching and reading and came across this:

If you have the clutch type and the thrust buttons were missing you would see a tiny hole where the buttons go,

I remember now being able to see a tiny hole in the center where the splines are. Can these thrust buttons be reinstalled?? And where could I buy some if so??

was it a clutch type? most 489's are cone/spring...how small of a hole did you see? the trust buttons have a small hole in them like maybe 1/8"...the button itself is like 1/2"...try adjusting it again...maybe u adjusted it the wrong way...sometimes they take a couple tries to get right...

So my 68 Barracuda had a 741 case open set of 2.76 gears in it and I just bought a 489 case suregrip with 3.23 gears, what's supposed to be in the car according to the fender tag. So I pulled out my old center section, did some cleaning, and then installed the 489 case. Put my driver's side axle in and tightened it up, then put in my passenger side and then started to try and adjust the end play. I have the adjuster all the way in I think and the axle on the drivers side has a lot of end play on it still. I'm scratching my head. I don't remember looking, but if the button spacer in the middle is missing, is that going to mess up my world and cause this excessive end play?? And if so how would I remedy this situation?? Thanks.

So I was just doing some searching and reading and came across this:

If you have the clutch type and the thrust buttons were missing you would see a tiny hole where the buttons go,

I remember now being able to see a tiny hole in the center where the splines are. Can these thrust buttons be reinstalled?? And where could I buy some if so??
i had to do this on my 66 coronet i had the same issue, i had to pull out break unit down and press the pin in between the 2 buttons. ebay item #330415165417 mopar pinion thrust spacer sure-grip go there and check it out joe

If you really don't want to take the center section out again, you might consider switching to green bearings. They do have some pros and cons but you will not need the thrust buttons and they don't need adjusting.

If the thrust buttons are missing it is difficult to press them in without disassembling the center section. You would have to support the thrust spacer, within the differential, as you press in the 2 thrust buttons. It's much safer and not that difficult to install the buttons with the center section apart. IMO.

Talk to this guy, I'm sure he's got extra buttons. http://www.doctordiff.com/

Well I think I may be ordering some green bearings. Are these the best ones to get???

http://www.moserengineering.com/oth...mopar-dana-60-non-adjustable-w-snap-ring.html

Oh and it is a clutch type, from what I can tell from all the reading that I've done, the guts from say a 742 must have been put into the 489 case at some point.

Here's a link that shows both. http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/13.html

and yes the snap ring Green bearing is the one I prefer.

Nothing can be easy it seems, I have to go pick up a different u-joint as well, my driveline has the 7290 and the 489 has the 7260 yoke. Between the new u-joint and the green bearings I just added a $100 to my project. @$#%*&#@!

Oh well, it's all part of the fun of owning an old muscle car.

I think that I'm going to go the green bearing route also. I'll see if I can find someone around the atlanta area to install them but if not, I'll send them to Moser.

Mine aren't going to be such a pain as I replaced them about 8 years ago so they shouldn't be seized on like the originals were. Just need a press and a good bearing collar, but if you don't have those, then sending them out is probably best. My new green bearings are supposed to be here on Friday.

-
Back