Got carried away with the RustOleum

-

dibbons

Reaction score
This very rusty (water jackets) .040 over 340 block is finally cleaned up. Wasn't satisfied with the way it came back from the machine shop after being "cleaned', magnafluxed, decked, and honed.

Dumped the block in a barrel of molasses/water (10 to 1 mix) for over a week. Hosed it off (soap and water), blow dry (leaf blower). Brushed it with an ATF/mineral spirits mixture inside and out. Paper towel dried it.

Then a couple of sessions of brake cleaner. Then wax/grease remover. Also used acetone on the gasket surfaces and a spray can of "Graffiti Remover" to remove some of the left over (very stubborn) orange paint on the outside of the block.

DSC04053.JPG

DSC04066.JPG

Last edited:
Promised myself to use two coats of rusty metal red primer on the inside surfaces of the cylinder block, but lost all sense and kept spraying. I know it's too much, but only time will tell how it sticks. At least it will have a month to dry (and yesterday it was about 80 degrees outside during the spray). Read some stories about paint plugging up the oil pump pickups but never had the paint slough (sluff) off on my other motors.

Being this is an "interim" motor, I am not going to color coat the outside either, it will remain in its "raw" primer coat.

DSC04077.JPG

DSC04082.JPG

DSC04084.JPG

DSC04085.JPG

Last edited:
(just to let you know, i hit the disagree button based on your weather report, not the block)

(and yesterday it was about 80 degrees outside during the spray.

You know that weather report just plains sucks! We got about 20 here and that’s Not Centigrade either.

(just to let you know, i hit the disagree button based on your weather report, not the block)

Agree!

You know that weather report just plains sucks! We got about 20 here and that’s Not Centigrade either.

They call the Mexico City climate the "eternal spring". I guess around here in Southern Baja California it is more like "eternal summer". Average low in December is 55 degrees and all-time record low is 35.5 degrees. In other words, according to weather records, "winter" ice has never formed here outside.

Last edited:
Ugh. It's 18 during the day here in Maryland, 5 at night.

Nice job on the block, BTW.

It got down to 11° last night.

I sure hope that rustoleum sticks well to the inside of the block. Sure would suck to have that end up in your oil pickup. Look into a product called Glyptal. Its made for coating the inside of the engine.

About 35 years ago painting the inside of the block was the big rage. Over time, people had a lot of trouble with paint flaking off. Some claimed it helped oil return faster to the sump. As far as protecting the internal surfaces, my opinion is driving it regularly is the best.

Painted a block (external surface only) using the recommended primer with that system of engine paint. About 3 months later the topcoat of paint started flaking off. I could remove most of the paint with an air blower. The primer stayed with no flaking at all. I was told it was because I didn't run the engine and get the paint warm right after application.

I've had rusty red primer'ed cam shaft valleys come out of an acidic hot tank still intact. But I used it straight out of the can with a brush, brushing it into the pores of the casting. I let it cure a good long time before any assembly, like weeks.

This very rusty (water jackets) .040 over 340 block is finally cleaned up. Wasn't satisfied with the way it came back from the machine shop after being "cleaned', magnafluxed, decked, and honed.

Dumped the block in a barrel of molasses/water (10 to 1 mix) for over a week. Hosed it off (soap and water), blow dry (leaf blower). Brushed it with an ATF/mineral spirits mixture inside and out. Paper towel dried it.

Then a couple of sessions of brake cleaner. Then wax/grease remover. Also used acetone on the gasket surfaces and a spray can of "Graffiti Remover" to remove some of the left over (very stubborn) orange paint on the outside of the block.

View attachment 1715126292

View attachment 1715126294
what does the molasses / water soak do for it ?

I think it looks great.

Painted a block (external surface only) using the recommended primer with that system of engine paint. About 3 months later the topcoat of paint started flaking off. I could remove most of the paint with an air blower. The primer stayed with no flaking at all. I was told it was because I didn't run the engine and get the paint warm right after application.
Just think if that flaking had been on the inside of an engine. I know there are some who will disagree, but I have never even considered painting the inside of a block for that reason.

-
Back