Got fuel ........no spark? ish

-

70DUSTER/74SCAMP

Sold the scamp ....still got the duster tho
Reaction score
So car has been down for a week . put a new intake gasket on it. replaced it ,put the intake back on hooked everything back up. put distributor back in where it was . and go to start it and plenty of gas and no spark..........new distributor , cap, rotor, plugs, ballast resistor ect. would not even fire on starting fluid. checked coil to a ground and plenty of spark . lit me up haha.......so i dont understand . checked firing order seems legit. just at a loss only thing carb did was pop once and puffed blue smoke. . like i said its getting gas and coil seems to be working which is a new blaster msd 2. car is a 74 scamp with a 318 edelbrock 600 carb , electric choke.. this car may be the death of me. i saved her from probably scrap. dumped money into it and every other day its like christine or some thing lol. wearing me out. any help would be appreciated. thank u guys

zach

Did you take a look at the rotor to be sure the contact is tight to the cap? I had a brand new cap once that had a broken piece on the coil contact. Had me scratching my head for a bit. Also you said new distributor so maybe take a look at the reluctor and make sure it’s tight on the shaft. That bit me once before too.

Did you take a look at the rotor to be sure the contact is tight to the cap? I had a brand new cap once that had a broken piece on the coil contact. Had me scratching my head for a bit. Also you said new distributor so maybe take a look at the reluctor and make sure it’s tight on the shaft. That bit me once before too.

checked those tight and seem fine

I’d double triple check the wires again then be sure I’m not out 180* on my distributor. Sounds like timing if nothing fuel related has changed and the parts aren’t broken.

If your carb "popped" then it sounds like youre getting fire but your timing is way out. Pull the distributor and spin it by hand, you should see a good spark to a test plug with the key on. Maybe youre 180 out?

Learn to set timing 1st time around every time. NO REASON not to

Remove no1 plug. Stick your finger in the hole. Bump engine around and feel for compression. As soon as you start to feel it stop and start looking at timing marks. Wrench or bump engine, looking for marks, and stop engine NOT AT TDC but rather where you want the initial timing, IE say, 8-12 BTC for a stock cam, more for a hotter cam

Since dist is already in, remove cap and look carefully at position of rotor. Should be "just approaching" no1 wire tower. If not reinstall as necessary. Move dist CW (retard for small block) and while watching reluctor/ pickup, slowly move dist advance (CCW for small block) until reluctor is centered in pickup coil. Rotor should just be approaching no1 tower "corner to corner." Install cap AND IF YOU WANT you can hook up timing light and check timing on starter.

Start engine.

That's right. That's what I said. Start engine.

THERE IS NO REASON to do this any other way, and sit there and blowup the carb, your eyebrows and wear out the starter

Blue puff of smoke tells you that you have fuel + ign. But probably not occurring at the right time......
If the engine was running before, mostly cause is dist 'out of time'. That is, the ign is producing spark but to the wrong cyl &/or wrong sequence. Dist rotor position needs to be checked, initial timing position as well, plus plug wire firing is correct.

-
Back