Got it RUNNING !!!

-

69DarttoArt

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm back, been buried in the garage since February putting the Chevy Astro van Hydro Boost on. Burned some paint, so I dropped the K-frame and motor and tranny and redid the firewall.
The wiring has taken me foreve and a day, but I finally got it all figured out. On the back of the '69 ignition you have to put a jumper wire from IGN 2 back to IGN 1 so the PINK wire has 12v during the starting cycle.
IGN 1 terminal drops to zero volts when cranking, so that stressed me out for over a week, then it turned out to be a simple fix.
The 6.1 Hemi purrs like kitten, idles just fine with 80 Lbs of oil pressure and screams like a banshee when you throttle her up a little bit.
Here are some shots of the engine bay after I got it running.
Regards, Tom

Attachments

• 69 Dart 420.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 494
  • 69 Dart 421.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 473
  • 69 Dart 422.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 498
  • 69 Dart 423.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 486
if i remember ign I is blue or blue with a white line, Ign II ( or Ballast By-pass) is brown... during cranking the ign I is shut off in Favor of Ign II to by-pass the ballast so the ign coil gets the full 12 volts...

nice set up... and clean!

Looks sweet!!!!! But Blue lines should be black imo--Nice job!!!!!! I had to do the same thing with my ignition--Steve

I'm looking at doing the hydro-boost on my Duster also---What was the total cost??? And gimme some insite on The difficulty of it???

Very clean and a beautiful color too. Is it HOK tangelo pearl? Looks like mine.

Are you running AC? If so can you show pics of how u mounted the compressor?

I'm looking at doing the hydro-boost on my Duster also---What was the total cost??? And gimme some insite on The difficulty of it???

X2

I love the idea of hydro boost, if and when we figure out a way to have power steering with a stock K-Member. Still waiting to see if the Borgeson box will work, have fingers crossed.

Since a number of places want a $1000.00 for a hydro-boost setup any additional information you could offer in the use of a Astro Van setup would be greatly appreciated.

Couple of comments about your installation.

1. Very Clean not a lot of extraneous stuff cluttering the engine bay. I really like the absence of bling, I believe an engine should be all business, yours is all business. Where did you hide the front headlight wiring harness?

2. Like the color, is that hemi orange or vitamin-c orange?

3. Like the way you closed up the holes for the shocks. Makes the engine bay look that much cleaner. As a matter of fact it looks like you cleaned up the fire wall too. Some guys will cover the firewall with flat panels. I don't like that, your's looks like you cleaned it up filled some extraneous holes and just made it nice and tidy. Excellent job.

4. Who's radiator?

Great Job

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Could you use a power steering pump and not use the box for a hydro boost setup?

That looks great!!! Very impressed!

I was told that hydroboost would not fit with a hemi without some sort of offset bracket. How did you get it to fit? Did you do anything special?

Thanks!

I would like to encourage you to make a post on details of the hydroboost setup

BOY is that thing ORANGE!!

Yup. IGN1/ IGN2, seems to trip up a lot of guys. Simple once you understand it

Could you use a power steering pump and not use the box for a hydro boost setup?
I'm assuming your talking just running the manual steering box? yeah you should be able to just the the pump and hydroboost It would be the same system you'd just be cutting out the box.

Thanks guys, you know I needed that, everything but the black out the hoses. Some people dig them, and some don't. Its a customer's car, so to be honest I bought black too, just in case he doesn't dig it. He hasn't see it yet. He is coming over Saturday.
Okay, here we go, I will try to answer the questions:
The owner went to a junk yard a bought a mid 80's Chevy Astro van Hydro-Boost for $75 and said, okay R&D this for me and see what you can do. I moved the centerline of the hole over 3/4" to 1" and up maybe 1/2" from original, towards the drivers side, away from engine. Also, enlarge the hole some. The plunger rod now bolts to the drivers side of the brake pedal arm. You must shime the passenger side 1/4" to 5/16" to make up for the driver's side setting on the body rib. The difficult part is when you move it over like that, the bolts go right into the inside brackets of the old steering and brake structure. The plasma torch helped out here. Then I made a clocking bracket approximately 180 degrees (pretty simple, two hole and two studs welded) to position the Wilwood master where you want it. I have many pics and will open a thread just on that later.
Yes, its House of Kolors Tangelo Pearl, its amazing, its one color at noon, and completely different at midnight. It color shifts as you walk around the car.
Yes, AC. Its Classic Auto HVAC self contained unit $1000. Not easy, but not rocker science either.
Headlight harnesses are hung top of inside of fenders in wire looms.
Yes, lots of welding on the dash and towers, body work, metal glaze, and blocak sanding.
The customer and I went to Bouchillon Performance out of South Carolina and let Randy put a package together for this build (Engine, K-Frame (RMS), coil overs for rear, HVAC, all accessories fro engine, TTI headers, ect) for a total of $22K. Real nice getting a lot of it from the same place.
I need to hang the door this weekend, build 409 SS exhaust, bleed brakes then test drive. We went with the RAM 1500 545 RFE tranny from PATC out of Louisana with 2600 stall converter and a 8-3/4" Mopr rearend and had a local shop do us up a 3:73 posi unit
with Moser axles. Large red Wilwoods drilled and slotted on all four corners.
Go to get to work, Thank you guys, Tom

Thanks guys, you know I needed that, everything but the black out the hoses. Some people dig them, and some don't. Its a customer's car, so to be honest I bought black too, just in case he doesn't dig it. He hasn't see it yet. He is coming over Saturday.
Okay, here we go, I will try to answer the questions:
The owner went to a junk yard a bought a mid 80's Chevy Astro van Hydro-Boost for $75 and said, okay R&D this for me and see what you can do. I moved the centerline of the hole over 3/4" to 1" and up maybe 1/2" from original, towards the drivers side, away from engine. Also, enlarge the hole some. The plunger rod now bolts to the drivers side of the brake pedal arm. You must shime the passenger side 1/4" to 5/16" to make up for the driver's side setting on the body rib. The difficult part is when you move it over like that, the bolts go right into the inside brackets of the old steering and brake structure. The plasma torch helped out here. Then I made a clocking bracket approximately 180 degrees (pretty simple, two hole and two studs welded) to position the Wilwood master where you want it. I have many pics and will open a thread just on that later.
Yes, its House of Kolors Tangelo Pearl, its amazing, its one color at noon, and completely different at midnight. It color shifts as you walk around the car.
Yes, AC. Its Classic Auto HVAC self contained unit $1000. Not easy, but not rocker science either.
Headlight harnesses are hung top of inside of fenders in wire looms.
Yes, lots of welding on the dash and towers, body work, metal glaze, and blocak sanding.
The customer and I went to Bouchillon Performance out of South Carolina and let Randy put a package together for this build (Engine, K-Frame (RMS), coil overs for rear, HVAC, all accessories fro engine, TTI headers, ect) for a total of $22K. Real nice getting a lot of it from the same place.
I need to hang the door this weekend, build 409 SS exhaust, bleed brakes then test drive. We went with the RAM 1500 545 RFE tranny from PATC out of Louisana with 2600 stall converter and a 8-3/4" Mopr rearend and had a local shop do us up a 3:73 posi unit
with Moser axles. Large red Wilwoods drilled and slotted on all four corners.
Go to get to work, Thank you guys, Tom

Wow! Very cool!

THanks 69dart !!!!!!!!! Nice Job--He'll go with the black lines!!!!! Thanks for the info on hydro-boost--

Are you running AC? If so can you show pics of how u mounted the compressor?

USCG Charger, the AC Compressor mounts down low, up front, on the drivers side, with 3 long bolts in the stock location on a 6.1 Hemi.

I will take some pics and hook you up late.

Tom

I'm familiar with where it goes but I have to fab up something to make mine work.

X2

I love the idea of hydro boost, if and when we figure out a way to have power steering with a stock K-Member. Still waiting to see if the Borgeson box will work, have fingers crossed.

Since a number of places want a $1000.00 for a hydro-boost setup any additional information you could offer in the use of a Astro Van setup would be greatly appreciated.

Couple of comments about your installation.

1. Very Clean not a lot of extraneous stuff cluttering the engine bay. I really like the absence of bling, I believe an engine should be all business, yours is all business. Where did you hide the front headlight wiring harness?

2. Like the color, is that hemi orange or vitamin-c orange?

3. Like the way you closed up the holes for the shocks. Makes the engine bay look that much cleaner. As a matter of fact it looks like you cleaned up the fire wall too. Some guys will cover the firewall with flat panels. I don't like that, your's looks like you cleaned it up filled some extraneous holes and just made it nice and tidy. Excellent job.

4. Who's radiator?

Great Job

Regards,

Joe Dokes
Hey Joe,
While the owner came by yesterday to hear the uncapped 6.1 Hemi run, we cut and fitted the Air Intake tube and K&N filter.

I looked down and noticed it was a Griffin Radiator, beings we turned this into a Restro-Mod build we asked not to have the old style mushroom top cap, and are still real happy with our decision. It fits this build good.

Regards, Tom

-
Back