got it started today hooray

-

gtxclone

Reaction score
well guys i got my new 5.7 hemi started today for the first time it seemed to run well but was idling really high im hoping i can adjust that wehn i hook up the diagnostic computer reader if anyone has any ideas why the idle may be high let me know thanks

Vacuum leak will cause high idle. Did you leave the vacuum port for the power brake booster open maybe?
-Jon

It's idling between 5 & 6 thousand rpm I shut it down quick because it's much too high I think I do believe I have left a vacuum open near the front of the manifold but I have a vacuum line on the power brake port

Also I don't have the intake air sensor installed not sure if that will affect the idle I'm going tomorrow and get that sensor

Idle is between 5-6k??? Thats gonna leave a mark!

well i checked the vacuum ports and they are all capped or used and i started it and it still races like the throttle is wide open i only let it run for a second im afraid of doing damage to the new motor im stumped on why it wants to idle so high any suggestions

Check where the egr goes into the intake. Look for any holes in the intake where a sensor or anything would go.

Riddler

i removed the egr and placed a cap over the intake opening and there is one vacuum port near the throttle body that i capped and i have a hose on the brake vacuum in the rear

Well something is leaking that's why your rpms are racing.

When you capped those off did you use a seal or sealant?

Riddler

yes i did use sealant but wouldnt it take a huge leak to make the engine want to run wide open just asking i dont have a clue why its doing that

If you could get your hands on a smoke machine that would be the best way to check for a vacuum leak . It has to be getting a source of extra air ,assuming the throttle body butterfly is staying in its closed position when running.

i really havent been able to let it run for longer than just a few seconds it is running wide open full throttle and its a brand new crate motor i know its not good for the engine to run at that high an rpm when its new is there a way to manually throttle the engine down i have a friend who is going to come over and do some testing before we try to start it again it would break my heart and wallet to damage this motor for something stupid thanks for your help guys i have had a lot of great info from here

Turn the key on and look at the tb butterfly, is it moving, is it wide open, check the throttle box or ithe pedal if using that set up.

ok i turn the key on and i hear a click up front but the butterfly is still closed i am using the throttle box from a 2003 ram pickup and i have taken off the cable from that it makes no difference it still wants to idle real fast i also removed the wires from the throttle body to see if it moves and it does not

im posting some pics if you see anything wrong hit me up as you can see im using the throttle control box from hotwireauto and their harness i have the alterkation front end and its a 2008 5.7 crate motori unplugged the throttle control and the butterfly dosent try to ope when i turn on the key with it pluggen up it makes a clicking sound and opens about 1/4 inch i havent been able to tell if it keeps opening when starting but i think it does

Attachments

• n 002.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 391
  • n 003.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 395
  • n 004.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 381
  • n 005.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 371
Is there a mechanical stop screw? I know nothing about the new "wire" systems, but the crack in the butterfly in the bottom photo looks like one hell of a lot to me

Have you got software that will monitor the ECU?

not sure about the stop screw thing and i didnt get any type of monitoring with the hotwire harness i plan on calling chris monday to see if he has ever had anything like this before im new to the drive by wire stuff too so im hoping someone here has some info

This has me thinking that maybe the tb is faulty, but I cant say for sure. Can you hook up a code reader to see if any codes are present?

i dont have a code reader yet i guess it is possible that the throttle body is faulty its a brand new crate motor never been run before but that certaqily dosent mean it couldnt be bad

the harness came from hotwire and they flashed the ecm i am calling them tomorroe to see if they have any suggestions i am wondering if i disconnect the wires from the tb will it start and run or not cause i think that its getting a signal to open the tb as soon as it starts

the harness came from hotwire and they flashed the ecm i am calling them tomorroe to see if they have any suggestions i am wondering if i disconnect the wires from the tb will it start and run or not cause i think that its getting a signal to open the tb as soon as it starts

That would be easy enough to check by looking at the throttle body while someone else cranks the car. If it stays open the amount you posted in your picture (the normal amount to idle) then that's not your problem. If it's revving up to 5k with the throttle blade closed you have one serious vacuum leak. Can't tell much from the pictures.
-Jon

i almost sure its something stupid that i have done or havent done but here are the six codes i got from the reader i dont yet have a book on the codes but anywho they are; P0038; P0058; P0073; P0113; P0480 AND P0499

-
Back