got on the scales, heavier than I thought

-

WildCat

Reaction score
Last weekend at the street rod nationals decided to get weighed

ridetech was weighing cars for free, so since I wasn't sure and it was FREE we took it over.

they had 2 sets of portable scales and pulled 2 cars in at a time weighing all 4 corners

so my 1967 Dodge dart convertible with 340, cast iron case 4 speed & 8 3/4 rear. Didn't take all the crap out of the trunk but had normal stuff to go to a car show in it and close to full tank of fuel

car only no driver or passenger

total weight 3,629
front left 948
front right 961
1,909 lbs 52.6% on the front
would have thought the left front would be heavier since the battery is on that side or there equipment was recording backwards

left rear 881
right rear 839
1,720 lbs. 47.4% on the rear

I was thinking it might be 3,400 lbs, so a little more than I thought

man that is alot heavier than i would have thought. i had my car on the scales last week. my 67 dart with 383/727/8 3/4 weighed 2890lbs with a 1/4 tank and not me in it. now to be fair i have no glass in the car yet. other then that its all there. I have alum heads, water pump, intake, drive shaft and radiator. I also have wilwood aluminum disc brakes on all 4 corners.

total weight 3,629
front left 948
front right 961
would have thought the left front would be heavier since the battery is on that side or there equipment was recording backwards

left rear 881
right rear 839

At first I too was surprised the RT front was heavier than the left because of the battery but after thinking about it....the engine is offset about 2" to the passenger side. (and the trans is attached in-line to the engine) The F/R ratio seems pretty good though.

I'm always surprised when I see factory advertised shipping weights. Sure they were dry and all that but they always seem on the light side from real world cars. I'm always weight conscious when I mod my car. If I have a chance to lighten things up, I do.

man that is alot heavier than i would have thought. i had my car on the scales last week. my 67 dart with 383/727/8 3/4 weighed 2890lbs with a 1/4 tank and not me in it. now to be fair i have no glass in the car yet. other then that its all there. I have alum heads, water pump, intake, drive shaft and radiator. I also have wilwood aluminum disc brakes on all 4 corners.

That glass is pretty dense, it'll add a lot.

That glass is pretty dense, it'll add a lot.

well front glass is 38lbs with gasket and rear is 31lbs with gasket. door glass is 16lbs ea. quarter glass is 14ea. removing rear window regulators and pinning up rear glass. when i get my glass bumpers and brackets on im hoping to have a big block dart that weighs 3k or less.

There are reinforcements in the convertible undercarriage that isn't in rooftop cars. Besides the factory torque boxes there is also some heavy metal under the rocker panels.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Holy hell.
If that's a typical Dart convertible, How much would a C-Body convertible weigh?!?!

My 76 Eldorado convertable weighs 5300 lbs so I would guess a big ole c-body vert would be pushing up near that figure too

Convertibles are heavier as stated but (and I know it's a mustang) it depends on if they design the convertible and coupe at the same time. I know the 05 mustang convertible is within a 100 pounds of the coupe.

Convertibles are heavier as stated but (and I know it's a mustang) it depends on if they design the convertible and coupe at the same time. I know the 05 mustang convertible is within a 100 pounds of the coupe.

Our Mopars started production at the same time so I doubt that has anything to do with it. MaMopar knew the top was missing so they beefed up the convertible undercarriage and didn't offer a hemi in it.

There are reinforcements in the convertible undercarriage that isn't in rooftop cars. Besides the factory torque boxes there is also some heavy metal under the rocker panels.

attachment.php

attachment.php
thanks for the pics Bill I knew the verts were heavier but also wondered where they put it

Last weekend at the street rod nationals decided to get weighed

ridetech was weighing cars for free, so since I wasn't sure and it was FREE we took it over.

they had 2 sets of portable scales and pulled 2 cars in at a time weighing all 4 corners

so my 1967 Dodge dart convertible with 340, cast iron case 4 speed & 8 3/4 rear. Didn't take all the crap out of the trunk but had normal stuff to go to a car show in it and close to full tank of fuel

total weight 3,629
front left 948
front right 961

left rear 881
right rear 839

I was thinking it might be 3,400 lbs, so a little more than I thought
Aluminum intake ,heads or any light parts. Do you have power steering?

I posted it when someone asked the torque boxes and such for their convertible project. Also someone else about wanting to chop a top on a hardtop car to make a convertible. I was lucky I was getting that half of the 63-4 valiant from Waggin for parts to help fix my dart. I was just as surprised as everyone else. I did look at my 66 dart through the front plug in the rocker and it goes from front to rear. just that 1/2 rocker when I cut it out checked the weight 35 lbs for that piece that goes a little past the jam. I figure it's about 60lbs per side total for the full piece. thats almost another person:glasses7: Hiding in those rockers if you have a convertible.

...but after thinking about it....the engine is offset about 2" to the passenger side. (and the trans is attached in-line to the engine)

My first thought as well. But why is the left rear 42 pounds heavier than the right rear? The heaviest corners are the right front and left rear.
Your car's fairly well balanced (without driver or passenger), left side is 1829 pounds, right side is 1800 pounds.

With my 200 lb back side in the driver's seat, my 340/727 GTS weighs in at 3595. That is with full trim, the thick black rubber underlayment under the carpet, buckets, console and PS (which probably weighs about 30lbs more than manual steering). Most of the 340 Swingers come in about 150-200 lb lighter with bench seats and column shifts.

Aluminum intake ,heads or any light parts. Do you have power steering?

Aluminum air gap intake, iron heads, power steering, air conditioning (aftermarket air box and sandon compressor) buckets and console, front and rear sway bars, disc front drum rear 8 3/4

-
Back