Got some new books... must reads!

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Recently "hit up the B&N" and bought a few SA-Design car books. One is for Jeeps and doesn't really apply here but the others are "How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle" by Mark Savitske and "How to Super Tune and Modify Holley Carburetors" by David Vizard. Both of them are brand-new and have tons of information very relevant to the muscle car hobby as it is today. For example the first book talks about building up your muscle car suspension mild or wild and mentions companies like RMS and Firm Feel for Mopars; it looks at pretty much every part of the suspension for the different makes, how it works, and how it can be improved. The second book is almost a bit over my head, this is my first book by David Vizard and it's no wonder he's called 'Vizard the Wizard' that guy is a frickin' genius lol. This book also breaks down the individual parts of Holley-based carbs but gets VERY scientific and in-depth on how to extract every last bit of power from your carb and intake setup. Lots of emphasis on equalizing mixtures and airflow across cylinders and atomizing the fuel properly for your application (yes the fuel droplet size even affects power!). Both these books also dispel some myths on these subjects people have come to accept over the years. Overall I'd highly recommend them next time you're at the bookstore check 'em out...

I got Vizard's "Super tuning Carters" Love the debunking of the 1100 CFM 6 pack. With a few grinds, he can make a cast iron dual plane work better than an aftermarket performance AL intake.

What exactly do you mean? I'm going to build a 6pac setup so this got my attention.
The fact that a six-pack is not simply "325+350+350" cfm flow rate (sum of each of the carbs), you have to convert the 2-bbl flow rating to the 4-bbl by dividing by 1.4 so in this case it would be 1025/1.4=733 cfm. Might look small but the Mopar six-pack has proven to work well it is a good design, still beats most 4-bbl setups from the day and I believe there are bigger carbs you can get specifically for 6-bbl setups now.

pishta: I'm gonna have to check out that book on Carters I didn't realize it was written by him...

It's actually 500-355-500 cfm outboards are bigger 1,355 divided by 1.4 = 968cfm. The old DC hustle stuff, had "hi perf" carbs in the 70's and 80's that flowed more and were mechanical not vacuum they flowed a true 1,100 cfm.

D-3, Vizard is a damn good tech guy. Great fuel systems guy, you should read his head porting book by S-A. Just Damn.

Many people make this mistake. The CFM figures "we all throw around" are commonly SPECIFIC to Holly BRAND and specifically FOUR barrels

Carter used to flow carbs "wet" meaning they would give a lower number if tested as per Holley "dry" but therefore "might give" a more accurate number.

I used to get into arguments about this all the time, back "when" many people were throwing "Holley 500 2 barrels" on just about everything, and of course "they aint," 500 cfm that is. Or at least compared to...........apples, or oranges.

-
Back