gotta go 3 inch

-
I think 2.5 tails defeats the purpose of going 3 inch. Your pipes are only as big as the smallest restriction......
Sound right?

I'm waiting on my new 3inch single chambers. And tips. Will see how loud it is. Can't be as bad as the 3 in single chambers dumped in front of the axle right now.

My 3" tails are pretty mellow with dynomaxers, at anything but WOT from 3500 up. From 4500 to 7000 they scream something awesome, and everyone who ever commented on them, liked the sound.
If I had to cruise them at 3000 rpm, I suppose it could be a bit tiresome. But at 2200 = 64mph,I hear the drip moldings, and qtr vents more than the pipes. My TTIs have factory turndowns on the end.
Did I mention how heavy that exhaust system is? IIRC about 140 pounds; roughly 50% mufflers, and 50% pipes. Since the tails are longer than the heads, Ima guessiy those TPs are over 40 pounds a pair,plus hangers...........
Now if someone were to invent exhaust cut-outs that were instant-open-instant-closed with gas-pedal inputs, a guy could run some pretty tiny EPs out to the rear axle; like maybe a hundred hp worth;say dual 1.5s, or a single 1.75. Between that and the heavy mufflers, I bet it could shave 100 pounds off.

Currently have the Flowmaster 10's on there. Pretty friggin loud with the 2 1/2 system, especially over 3000 RPM. I don't mind loud but honestly, the Flowmaster, to my ear, don't have a nice sound.

No clue what muffs I'm going to run yet. Hopefully loud with a "nice" loud, if ya get my drift...

I think 2.5 tails defeats the purpose of going 3 inch. Your pipes are only as big as the smallest restriction......
Sound right?

I disagree. Large tails just create noise as far as im concerned.

Currently have the Flowmaster 10's on there. Pretty friggin loud with the 2 1/2 system, especially over 3000 RPM. I don't mind loud but honestly, the Flowmaster, to my ear, don't have a nice sound.

No clue what muffs I'm going to run yet. Hopefully loud with a "nice" loud, if ya get my drift...

I've found larger pipes to be Quieter.

I run Borla XR-1's. They are quieter inside and out Vs. the slowmasters I had.

I've always had a mental debate on the step up vs. step down exhaust system theory. On my diesels you go small to big, i.e 4" to 5". On my last car I went big to small, i.e 3.5 to 3. On this one I went same size al the way through 3".

In theory as the gasses cool they get smaller so you would need less tail, more primary. On a dart that isn't some custom built one off purpose built car I'd run the same size all the way and use an X or a H pipe in that order.

-
Back